Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Do you like the leaky pen and gellys pink colors?
LOVE em! 214 66.25%
Yuck!! 14 4.33%
Havent tried them,but they look cool! 95 29.41%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-05-17, 5:11am

Renee ~ NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vonna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-02, 10:36am
Dangerous Woman

Whoo Hoo got my CIM glass today and I'mm off to melt some!!!!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-06-02, 4:00pm

Pictures post pictures - don't forget..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-04, 5:01am
Venus Nocturne

Kathy very graciously sent me a sample of CIM glass out here to lonely Australia and the lampworkers I've shared it with have gone wild over it. I have made the most delicious blue tone frit using Celandon, Leaky Pen, French Blue and Effetre/Moretti Turquoise Chiaro (alabastro), Turquoise Chiaro (pastel) and Lapis Medio (pastel) The frit was used over a base of Effetre/Moretti Bianco (pastel) and blended beautifully. Celandon is the perfect lift for blue based frits. It's just the right medium green/blue tone to add depth. I annealed it just fine, although I do already anneal rather higher than most people at 520 degrees Cel with a soak of 45 minutes. I LOVE bordello and particularly love pulling it into encased goldstone stringers, ditto with peacock. When I get a moment from uni studies I will post my efforts.

Thank you Kathy for all your information and help.

Last edited by My Bloody Valentine; 2007-06-04 at 5:04am.
Old 2007-06-11, 4:21pm
Smokeylady54

wow, great pictures all.
I just have to go and order some NOW.
Old 2007-10-09, 6:15am
Glass Addict

I did some last night in Gelly Pink and will have to take some pics tonight for you. I LOVE the Pink but if it is heated too much it can oxidize

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-10-09, 9:09am
Ad astra per aspera

I had to hijack this thread to say that Sangre ROCKS! I just got some on Friday from Gail (GGGlass) and played with it yesterday. It's a LOVELY intense mostly-transparent, luscious shade of red. It has no striking problems! I need to take some pix, but I just had to jump in and sing its praises. Thank you, Kathy and Messy Color, for adding to my rainbow!

Old 2007-10-23, 2:51pm
Dangerous Woman

I have been hearing good things about Sangre. Care to post a pic Karen?

Old 2007-10-28, 3:47am

totally agree. The Sangre is the most easiest color to get. I haven't tried the clockwork but its a beautiful shade of orange.
Any hints on how to bring out all the colors in the Canyone De Chelly?
Oh and Kathy...where did you come up with the name "Clockwork"
Irene

Old 2007-10-28, 11:36am
Ad astra per aspera

LOL Reenie....there's a movie from 1972, with a very adorable, very young Malcom McDowell, called A Clockwork Orange. Trippy flick by Stanley Kubrick.

Old 2007-10-31, 7:22pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
totally agree. The Sangre is the most easiest color to get. I haven't tried the clockwork but its a beautiful shade of orange.
Any hints on how to bring out all the colors in the Canyone De Chelly?
Oh and Kathy...where did you come up with the name "Clockwork"
Irene

Yes I'll take ANY tips on Canyon De Chelly! Please!

Old 2007-11-02, 4:50am
moth to the flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
Me three!
I can't get the colors I've seen from a few other beads all I get is a putty color.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2007-11-02, 10:00am

Quote:
I've got pics here- I love the color in the hollow best- it's worked really cool. I also like ti etched

Worked as stringer mine looks tan

I use it in organics as the last color on or near to it since I really cook my organics. It doesn't pit or anything- just doesn't keep as many color variations
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-11-02, 10:07am
Dangerous Woman

Jessica I have seen your tips section many times and I think it is great! But I think I need the "slow learner's" version.

Old 2007-11-02, 10:12am

Default Working with Canyon de Chelly

"Clockwork" was named after the movie by Tim at Frantz Art Glass (thanks, Tim, for the name!). There is a misty / opalescent quality to it that makes it different than your standard transparent orange.

Our testers have had WIDELY varying results with Canyon de Chelly. I posted photos here to demonstrate:

http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=6

Unfortunately, there has been no consistency in the feedback to pinpoint exactly how to achieve a particular result. Like most silver colors, Canyon de Chelly has great potential but is extremely unpredictable.

There were two testers who reported achieving hues of pink and purple as they "flashed" the bead in the flame after completing it.

But most people reported that they saw a variety of colors as they worked, including pink and purple, but the colors disappeared by the time they finished the bead.

I'm sorry I cannot provide more conclusive feedback!

Kathy

Kathy Seamands

Creation is Messy
Messy Color

[web]

[mail]

Last edited by Kathy; 2010-03-02 at 10:15am. Reason: Link to CDC page changed
Old 2007-11-02, 10:43am

Quote:
Jessica I have seen your tips section many times and I think it is great! But I think I need the "slow learner's" version.

The best colors I get I put the rod in the flame, the mandrel below the flame and let the glass flow onto the bead - don't melt in- since it's runny when it lands it's already puddled up on the bead. Then when the bead is done, run through the top of the flame to rewarn the whole thing before kilning

In an organic, I add multiple colors- cdc is almost always towards the end of the colors. Then I consider it a striker - I do think it looks best etched if worked hot
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2007-11-13, 8:40am

Hi,
this is a lightbulb moment for me: I did not know that messy had different annealling temps. I have used leaky pen and bordello and just mixed them in with my moretti or lauscha and then garaged at 960! so because all of this kiln stuff is new to me should i be concerned about the beads that were made with them? Are they truly annealled and will they crack or break later? i understand now that i need to up the temp for messy so i printed out the annealing temps for all colors but could someone let me know about the beads i have already made? thanks so much!!!

steph
Old 2007-11-13, 11:22am
Glass my new Obsession

I haven't had any problems mixing mine and annealing them at moretti temps.I do make sure they go in the kiln nice and hot though.

Old 2007-11-14, 9:07am

I did not have trouble with the ginger and bordello but i do have a rod of peacock green and i am assuming that i should not use lauscha to encase this? maybe i should use the effetre newer clear or the vetrofond because they are closer to messy than lauscha. which vetrofond should i use, i got a pound of it free in my batch and it scums little bubbles is there a newer clear?
thanks, steph
Old 2008-03-05, 9:33pm

Im absolutly am in love with CIM glass,,,,,all of it the colors are glorious and the glass is beautifull to work with.Keep it coming!!!!! Sorry no pics computor ,camera challenged,

Karen
Volkano Exotik.

Last edited by volkanokaren; 2008-03-06 at 10:11pm.
Old 2008-03-10, 8:36am
Dangerous Woman

Karen I'm right there with you! I haven't found a CiM color I haven't liked yet!

Old 2008-04-01, 5:03am
Gimme that silver glass!

I use Cirrus also as an encasing color, but my bead with DH Khaos and encased with Cim Cirrus had incompatibility cracks all over !

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-04-01, 5:08am

LOL I can't answer this poll, because I LOVE Gelly Sty and HATE Leaky Pen! Cannot lump them together LOL

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-04-02, 2:58pm
Glass my new Obsession

Leaky Pen makes a pretty stringer when you encase white with it!

Old 2008-04-02, 3:59pm

Default Gelly's Sty

I love Gelly's Sty...it is an awesome shade of pink and I have NEVER "lost the color"...I use it a lot with rubino oro, simply berry and bubblegum pink to make twisted stringer...it looks awesome...
Old 2008-05-27, 12:47pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

I wonder if I'll have a problem if I cool them down in a blanket before batch annealing? I just ordered some 2 days ago and waiting for them to come in and now I'm wondering if I should wait to use them...

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2008-05-27, 1:18pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Ok, next question that is not really clear. When using Moretti and CiM in the same bead, how do I know what to anneal at? I mean, if the annealing temp for one is 1070 but the slumping temp of the other is 1000, what do I do? Or can I not make a bead using these colors? I'm sorry, in the process of buying my kiln so I'm still a newbie at the kiln thing rather than having the art studio do it. I've been reading other threads and searched google and haven't really found the answer.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2008-05-30, 12:48pm
Glass my new Obsession

I use them together all the time and anneal at Moretti temps.No problems so far!

Old 2008-06-01, 3:14am
Susanne

Unhappy

I LOVE the color of Leaky Pen, BUT - I just can't keep it from frying. I try to work it really cold but it still doesn't work. Any less heat and it wouldn't melt at all. Especially as it needs to be used with other colours that need a slightly higher temperature to melt.

What's wrong with me? Or with the glass? I want to use it but it's no fun putting all the effort into a bead when the result is a ruffled texture on the surface.

Visit

Visit my homepage

FaceBook

Blog

# F-63
Old 2008-06-03, 1:48pm
Glass my new Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fru Babsan View Post
I LOVE the color of Leaky Pen, BUT - I just can't keep it from frying. I try to work it really cold but it still doesn't work. Any less heat and it wouldn't melt at all. Especially as it needs to be used with other colours that need a slightly higher temperature to melt.

What's wrong with me? Or with the glass? I want to use it but it's no fun putting all the effort into a bead when the result is a ruffled texture on the surface.
I use a HotHead and I have not had this problem with leaky pen.Mine melts quickly and easily.