Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-04, 2:57am
what's a senior moment ?

Jo, where are you at in S. Carolina ?
Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-10-04, 6:37am
Satake Woman!

In Pendelton.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2007-10-04, 3:03pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmaw View Post
I do a lot of cane pulling. Here is one of my florals...
Jo- that is beautiful.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2007-10-04, 4:16pm
Satake Woman!

Thanks Jhana!

Old 2007-10-05, 9:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmaw View Post
I do a lot of cane pulling. Here is one of my florals...
I missed the rest of this thread. Jo, this is really beautiful. So the flowers are cane? WOW!

Old 2007-10-07, 8:41am
Satake Woman!

Yep Cynthia, those are cane. In fact there is a tutorial for that cane in the latest issue of the Annealer magazine.

Old 2008-02-17, 12:47am
You can call me Slater

Where can the Tonbo Dama book be purchased? Thanks!
Old 2008-02-17, 1:08am
I speak Murrini!

Penny, Malcolm at Artco has it in stock (I was just there checking for it!) - Here's the link...

http://www.artcoinc.com/tonbo-dama_book.php

I sure wish he'd offer a "2 for 1" sale (giggle!) One for you, one for me! Yeah, right...

I wanted one for Christmas - maybe next year!

Hope this helps!
DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-02-17, 3:08am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Here's a weird question: What's the correlation between the diameter of the cane that you apply and the finished length of the bead? In other words, how big should your cane be, theoretically, if you want to end up with a finished bead that's 2" long?

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-02-17, 8:13am

I make my disc about 1" in diameter. When you start your disc, you want it to be thick with a large "foot print". Your stringer should be the size of about 1/8" After the stringer is applied, I apply a coat of clear on top, and then another round of clear on each side of the first round. Melt it down into a bead, marver it into a barrel, and then you have to super heat the bead one half at a time and melt it down the mandrel to the length you want. After that is done, encase in clear. What heppens when you melt your bead down the mandrel is the glass that is not covered by the pleats, will go up inside the bead forcing the pleats to "stretch".

I hope that's clear as mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Here's a weird question: What's the correlation between the diameter of the cane that you apply and the finished length of the bead? In other words, how big should your cane be, theoretically, if you want to end up with a finished bead that's 2" long?

Old 2008-02-17, 8:18am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

So a 1/8" cane is adequate for a 2" long bead? I would have thought you'd need more cane than that to accomplish pleats with depth.

Also Available in

Old 2008-02-17, 8:44am
Satake Woman!

Tink, I've started with some pretty thin twisties and made pleats over an inch long. I think if you started with one around 1/8" thick, or maybe even a teensy bigger, you would have plenty.

Old 2008-02-17, 8:47am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Cool beans Thanks for the input, y'all!

Also Available in

Old 2008-02-17, 5:03pm
You can call me Slater

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I make my disc about 1" in diameter. When you start your disc, you want it to be thick with a large "foot print". Your stringer should be the size of about 1/8" After the stringer is applied, I apply a coat of clear on top, and then another round of clear on each side of the first round. Melt it down into a bead, marver it into a barrel, and then you have to super heat the bead one half at a time and melt it down the mandrel to the length you want. After that is done, encase in clear. What heppens when you melt your bead down the mandrel is the glass that is not covered by the pleats, will go up inside the bead forcing the pleats to "stretch".

I hope that's clear as mud.
Cynthia - I understood everything you were saying until I read this part:

What heppens when you melt your bead down the mandrel is the glass that is not covered by the pleats, will go up inside the bead forcing the pleats to "stretch".

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this (unfortunately, the light bulb is not coming on...hehe). Could you please rephrase the sentence.
Old 2008-02-17, 10:48pm
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaterville View Post
Cynthia - I understood everything you were saying until I read this part:

What heppens when you melt your bead down the mandrel is the glass that is not covered by the pleats, will go up inside the bead forcing the pleats to "stretch".

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this (unfortunately, the light bulb is not coming on...hehe). Could you please rephrase the sentence.
I can't believe I actually understood that -- but I did this on another bead by accident -- when you're "melting it down the mandrel" aren't you holding the mandrel vertically? Then, if there's part of the core color that the pleats didn't "stretch" to after melting in the clear, the pleat part will sag down over the core -- I'm guessing because the outside of the bead is warmer than the core? Ever seen an elderly lady with swollen ankles hanging over her shoes? Gross, but it gives a vivid picture, doesn't it!?
Old 2008-02-17, 10:49pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Hey. Stop staring at my feet.

Also Available in

Old 2008-02-17, 11:06pm
Is it May yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Hey. Stop staring at my feet.
ROFL....good thing I wasn't drinking anything.

For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
Old 2008-02-18, 5:43am
You can call me Slater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
I can't believe I actually understood that -- but I did this on another bead by accident -- when you're "melting it down the mandrel" aren't you holding the mandrel vertically? Then, if there's part of the core color that the pleats didn't "stretch" to after melting in the clear, the pleat part will sag down over the core -- I'm guessing because the outside of the bead is warmer than the core? Ever seen an elderly lady with swollen ankles hanging over her shoes? Gross, but it gives a vivid picture, doesn't it!?
Hi Lisa,

I think I actually understand now..."Elderly lady with swollen ankles hanging over her shoes. But just to make sure, Tink could you come back to Omaha so I can see your ankles? LOL

Thanks!
Old 2008-02-18, 5:49am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Heheheheheh... I think the closest I'll be is Kansas City in October. But I bet you'll be able to see my fat ankles from Omaha if you try.

Also Available in

Old 2008-02-18, 8:01am

Lisa, I could'nt have described it better. Although you had an advantage. I've never seen Tinks ankles. But I might be able to just look over my belt on my jeans and get the same idea.

Old 2008-02-18, 8:38am
speed winding is a sport.

Hey Tink....can you demo this in Traverse City during our "tips & tricks" day???? Sounds like fun! Jan

Old 2008-02-18, 8:38am
speed winding is a sport.

I promise not to look at your feet...ha!

Old 2008-02-18, 9:00am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

ROFL! Sounds like a deal to me...

Also Available in

Old 2008-02-18, 12:40pm
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Lisa, I could'nt have described it better. Although you had an advantage. I've never seen Tinks ankles. But I might be able to just look over my belt on my jeans and get the same idea.
Hey, I've never seen her ankles either. Just too many excruciatingly boring and scary Sunday mornings in the nursing home as my father visited with his senile mother, and me and my sisters were stuck on those naugahyde cushions, in fear that the circling residents would pounce and talk to us. We felt like live bait. A very hushed atmosphere, but with moans coming down the hallway. I kid you not.

We got cornered one time by a lady lecturing us about how she could smell onions anywhere, and we must have stopped and had onions to eat. Gawd. And, of course, once we escaped THAT purgatory, we had the 8+ hour drive ahead of us back to Phoenix across the New Mexico desert. Oooh, the thrills of my youth.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind worshipping at your ankles any time, Tink, droopy or not. Lisa
Old 2008-02-20, 6:47am
as in the state

That is why I avoid nursing homes at all costs.

I remember having to go draw blood from the patients at the nursing home....talk about awful! There are always those moans from down the hall...sometimes from the rooms I was going into! "Helllp! Somebody help me!" Ugh. It's awful.

And, I feel for you. I've driven to Phoenix across the desert of NM. Yikes.

Now, you'll have to travel to take a Tink class, and take a peek at her ankles. Then you'll know yow to get this bead down pat.

Hee.

Love you, Tink.

-Amy
Old 2008-02-21, 6:58am
Mary Lockwood

Where was I back in September when I had to figure this all out for myself. Wish I had seen this thread back then I would have had a much easier time of it. LOL I always miss the good stuff.

Oh well, guess I might as well share my first successful pleated bead. I stuck a frog on it...this was from September 8th...I know because I sold it on etsy. LOL

And a couple from later on...

I mostly put frogs on them, but I did put flowers on a couple...really simple though.

I should work on these some more. Think I'll try a dichroic one.

~~Mary

Old 2008-02-21, 7:49am

Wow! I LOVE the first one - would you mind sharing the cane recipe?
Old 2008-02-21, 8:25am
Mary Lockwood

I share anything and everything and I wish I could tell you what is in that cane. I can't remember what I put in the canes I made last night, far less 5 months ago...but boy do I wish I could. The only thing I do remember for sure is that it had different kinds of opaque high-silver glass in it and clear. No colored transparents. I was pretty heavy into terra at the time so I can practically guarantee that terra is one of the colors. I was using vetrofond clear so that is the other...and the other ispure guess but I am thinking davinci.

I'm positive it was high-silver content glass and vetrofond clear but I'm not sure of the color names. Wish I could be more helpful!

~~Mary

Old 2008-02-21, 8:32am

Oh, man, don't you just HATE that? I even keep a sketch book - OPEN - next to me. I try to record everything, but of course my favorite thing out of the kiln next day is the single one that did NOT get written down! Thanks anyway, Mary!
Old 2008-02-21, 8:33am
Frozen Snickers Fiend

Beautiful beads Mary! I was thinking the first bead had Terra in the twistie as well - gorgeous!