Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-25, 12:48pm
Remember to keep smiling

Astrid thank you for this tut. These were so fun to make.

Sorry about the pic clearity.
Name:  07242010vessel 002.JPG
Views: 1297
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  07242010vessel 003.JPG
Views: 1317
Size:  44.0 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-07-25, 7:06pm

bubble bath!
Old 2010-07-25, 7:43pm

Neat idea!
THank you!
Michele

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Old 2010-07-26, 8:25am
Living out Loud

Thanks so much!!!

Old 2010-07-26, 9:23am
Experimentalist

Great thread!

Old 2010-07-26, 9:37am

Astrid, your beads are outstanding. I love them!
Thanks for sharing your technique!

Old 2010-07-26, 12:24pm
To bead Yeah! ;)

You are welcome to show all your bubble beads here

I have another one, bit more foamy, than bubbly

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2010-07-26, 1:27pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Lovely!!!
Thanks for sharing, I'm planning to try that at some point.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-07-26, 1:44pm

Lovely! They look like a lot of fun to make, too.

Ginko Beads
Old 2010-07-27, 1:38pm

Astrid thank you! What a great technique!
Old 2010-07-27, 10:45pm

Gasp. Your beads are just to die for. I'm going to try this again. I tried it many years ago but yours look amazing.

Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid Riedel View Post
You are welcome to show all your bubble beads here

I have another one, bit more foamy, than bubbly

Old 2010-07-28, 8:24am
Sparkle Strumpet

absolutely gorgeous...

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2010-07-28, 11:02am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Thank you Cynthia and Laurie

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2010-07-28, 12:14pm
Entropy increasing....

Very cool, Astrid. Thanks for sharing! Who needs that seeded glass now? lol
Old 2010-07-31, 2:06pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Such fun Astrid, it's very inspiring to see how you use it in your gorgeous beads! Had some fun playing with it too thanks to you, I'll show the results asap .

I am curious though, would you mind sharing which glass you used to get the silver & gold colors in your beads ? Or am I asking to much then ... If you don't want to share, I totally understand !

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2010-07-31, 4:53pm

Very cool, Astrid! I just love bubbles!
This is a 2 years old very simple (and here wet) necklace I made for myself, all Ornela transparents and baking soda.

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2010-07-31, 5:01pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Very cool, Martina! Colors are great...

~
~
~
Old 2010-07-31, 5:08pm

Thanks Lea! I remember that I did make several tests with different glasses from different factories, and that I finally thought that the bubbles looked best (or most brilliant) when I made those beads with ANY of those LIGHTEST Ornela transparent glasses.

Old 2010-07-31, 5:26pm
Life is change. Love it

Can I ask about the durability of these beads? Do they crack more easily than 'solid' beads?

Old 2010-07-31, 5:30pm

Hi Carolyn - I did put my beads right into my kiln and I have never ever had any cracking issues. I guess that proper annealing is a must for these beads. And as Astrid said: don't let the bubbles get to the surface of the bead, the bubbles have to be encased, that way they seem to be save! Did I ever mention that I just LOVE bubbles?!

Old 2010-08-01, 2:26pm

Wow - that is a fabulous technique! Your beads are amazing. I'll have to try that to see if I can get those bubbles without popping them.

Thank you!
under construction -
Old 2010-08-02, 1:10am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Oh, those are deliscious Martina!!!

Anouk, The gold looking ones are done with the palest amber from Moretti.
You should try a black background with pale transparent bubbles, looks cool too!

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
Old 2010-08-13, 8:38am
Mr Brutus RIP

This is so cool to do!! Thank you astrid. They are tiny, need to keep working on it to get better bubbles
Attached Images

Old 2010-08-13, 2:47pm

Thank you, Astrid!

Old 2010-08-13, 4:42pm

Astrid, those beads are drop dead gorgeous! And, thanks for the hints on how to do it. I love the gold beads!
Old 2010-08-13, 5:20pm

Can't wait to try this in the morning. Thank you so much for sharing this technique!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-08-15, 7:45pm
Oooooh Baby!

Cool, thanks for reminding me about this technique. The first time I saw it, was a couple of Gatherings ago by Jim Anspach (spelling?) He demonstrated his Fire and Ice beads. For the ice, he used the baking soda technique.

Now I need to go make some. Thanks again.

Old 2010-08-16, 4:33am
Knob Creek Glass

Thank you.
Old 2010-08-16, 4:12pm
Living Life Creatively

Thank you so much for sharing this great technique and inspiration bead pics! I've been trying this out over the past few days, but I must not be doing it right because all I'm getting is really tiny fizzy type bubbles, with an occasional bigger couple of bubbles. I even went and bought some brand new baking soda because I thought the problem was that mine was old, but didn't improve. I've been following the directions pretty closely, so if anyone has some tips on what I might be doing wrong, I would really appreciate it! *Ü* Like is there a certain height away from the torch your burning it off, etc.?

Thanks!
-
-
-
Old 2010-08-17, 3:50am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Lori, I put the bead in the baking soda just as the glow disapears, put back in the flame and "burn" off some the soda but not everything and I do this more to wards the end of the neutral flame. I found that certain glass works better than others, so you need to experiment a bit.

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!