Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-01-19, 1:27pm

Default What have you been making for BOC?

Last month I decided to make some "food" beads for BOC. I had more fun making these and can't wait to make more.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Let's see what you've been making.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-19, 1:32pm
Hobby Junkie

My goodness! They are so cute!!! I love the sundae beads! Very nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-01-19, 4:37pm

Those look great! The kids really love this kind of bead.

Robert
Old 2011-01-19, 4:42pm
Growing Edge Glass

Diane..those are adorable!!

I just sent my second package to BOC and didn't think to photo them. The two packages I've sent in were alot of really sparkly clear encased dichroic beads. Lots of them were of a larger size and had bright colors inside.

My intention is to send off a package every 6 weeks..with at least 10 beads in each package.

I'll bet your above beads will be a big hit...they are just wonderful!!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2011-01-19, 7:04pm
I'm meeeeelting

Those are adorable. I made animals - monkeys, sheep, birds, penguins, horses, a pig...

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-01-19, 7:22pm

Those are awesome! I'm working on a custom order with lots of frit beads so every night that I work on them I make a couple for ThatFritGirl's frit challenge. Haven't had a chance to take pics yet, but hopefully will this weekend.

Old 2011-01-19, 8:37pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Love them! The pumpkin pie is too cute!
Old 2011-01-20, 12:30am
Corgi Cult Member

Diane, your food beads are great! I love making pie slices too.

First I was hooked on making fish beads from your great tutorial. Sorry I haven't taken a photo yet. Now I've moved on to making Easter egg beads. They've become very addictive, so I will have a lot for the kids. I've also made a few cats, but keep going back to the eggs.

Old 2011-01-20, 12:43am

Diane your foodie beads are truly adorable. The kids will LOVE them. We will have are BOC event on the thirtieth, will have to make some of those, well try some of those I should say. i have been making hearts lately, tis the season. What is the ice cream cone color?
Old 2011-01-20, 1:47pm

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words. I love the food beads because they are simple shapes and are durable enough for kids.

Jackie, the glass I used for the ice cream cones was Bullseye Caramel Swirl, which unfortunately was a limited run. I bought some in the garage sale a few years ago to make seashells, but now I'm hoarding my last few rods for BOC. I wish they'd consider remaking it.

Here is a photo of some recent beads I made using stained glass strips. I get stained glass from the hobby store, and it's Spectrum 96COE. Although it isn't System 96, I called Spectrum and talked to them about it back when I started using it for seashells, and they told me that their stained glass is made as 96COE even though it may not be part of their fusible line. This means that lampworkers can use it for beads. As long as you know the COE of the stained glass you are using, it's a great way to increase your color palette.

Many stained glass colors work well for beads, especially Spectrum opaque white, which is an awesome white. I used some different tan wispy glass for the cupcakes and ice cream cones and mixed in some other 96COE glass. Since getting the color for the cones is tough I wanted an alternative to Caramel Swirl and the stained glass works well.

Sorry for the quality of the photo.

Old 2011-01-21, 2:24pm
Obsessed Blogger

LOVE the ice cream cones!

Thanks to all who are torching for BOC regularly. We really need you as we grow, grow grow.

We are now in 89 hospitals around the world and more being added every week!

::
Old 2011-01-22, 7:42am
Queen Tut ;)

I have a bunch of "orphans" and test beads that are just lovely but I can't do anything with because there are only 1 of them. I want to send them to BoC, but they were made on 1/16th mandrel and I saw that they prefer larger holes. Think they'll be ok? There are some very pretty beads that I think the kids will love.
I keep trying to make a heart each time I torch for BoC, but they come out so ugly I don't know if I should send or toss them.

Oh and I made a few butterflies and wasn't sure if I need to wire wrap them since the hole is vertical?

Old 2011-01-22, 8:08am

Hi Jenne, I'm sure your orphans are beautiful, and the kids will love them. Although they prefer the larger holes, the stringing material they use will fit easily thorough the hole make by a 1/16" mandrel, so send 'em on in.

Definitely wire the butterflies into a pendant. Here is a photo of some my sister, Becky Mason, made a few years ago.

If you'd like to see a tutorial on making hearts, I have one on my website at
Also, there is a tutorial there on making butterflies and fish for BOC.

Old 2011-01-22, 2:50pm
Crispy Critter

Diane, I used your tutorial to make my first fishes. Your great instructions and photos made it so easy! I'll post some pix before sending them to BOC.

Old 2011-01-24, 7:56pm
Lampworkaholic!

I made some
s - some for the
exchange, some for BOC!

I'm on a roll now, watch for more
s for BOC!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-01-24, 11:32pm

Liz, I love 'em! The kids are going to go wild for the goldstone stringer and silver mesh.

Old 2011-01-24, 11:42pm

Those ice cream cones are the bee's knees! Wonderful!
Old 2011-01-25, 7:24am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Liz, I love 'em! The kids are going to go wild for the goldstone stringer and silver mesh.
Thanks. I am going to make some purple and red hearts with John Rizzi's little heart murini on them, hopefully tonight!

After I posted, I started to wonder if BOC kids can have beads with silver mesh. I know exposed silver glass is not advised.

Lori, Robert - do you know?

Thanks,

Liz

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-01-28, 11:04am
Obsessed Blogger

Silver mesh is ok as long as it is encased.

Your hearts look great!

Old 2011-01-28, 12:32pm
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks, these were not encased but I will make some encased ones over the weekend.

Old 2011-01-28, 3:45pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

How gorgeous are those food beads!!! I love each and every one of them. I have been into hearts but my little guy said that he would like me to make some tennis, basket, and baseballs for the boys or maybe some peace signs.

Old 2011-01-28, 4:55pm

Thanks Michelle. I think the sports themed beads are always popular with the boys. Footballs look like they'd be fun to make too.

Old 2011-01-28, 5:39pm
Lampworkaholic!

Round two - with John's murini hearts.

Old 2011-02-03, 9:29am

I am working on bugs and critters. This is my first post in ages so I hope I do this right!

Last edited by Linda; 2011-02-03 at 9:32am.
Old 2011-02-03, 9:46am

Great hearts Liz. I love the little murrinis.

Old 2011-02-03, 3:41pm

Here are some of my latest hearts for the Beads of Courage Artists store. I'd love to see what everyone else is making.