Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-28, 7:37am
Dix Harrison

Default Extra large Lentil Presses--Any tips to share?

I want to explore making some honking big lentil beads. (2"+)

If you have experienced successes or challenges with this size, shape or volume, would you be willing to share your tips?
Old 2013-05-28, 7:55am

I use the Graceful Customs large lentil press along with the Kim Osibin cone former. The cone former will give you a guide for the right amount of glass and the correct shape to form a perfect lentil.

I add my first round of glass a little smaller then the width of the lentil, and keep adding glass and shaping it so that the middle is fat and the ends are thin. Heat the whole thing really well and mash. You should mash it into shape the first time. If you try to reheat and mash again, it doesn't work out to well and will distort the lentil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-05-28, 7:57am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassky View Post
I want to explore making some honking big lentil beads. (2"+)

If you have experienced successes or challenges with this size, shape or volume, would you be willing to share your tips?

They take a LOT of glass, so be patient.

Old 2013-05-28, 2:53pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I love the Zoozii's presses. She can even make custom ones for you.
Old 2013-05-28, 5:27pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
I love the Zoozii's presses. She can even make custom ones for you.
I especially love the Zoozii straight sided lentils. They are much more forgiving around the mandrel holes then the regular lentils as they tend to be too thin and it is easy to have some cracking issues.

Old 2013-05-28, 7:40pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I love my Zoozii 30mm lentil. Shape into an olive and gently press. You can always add more glass if it's too small, unless the design doesn't allow. Sometimes I gently press mine several times turning it to get the holes even.

Old 2013-05-28, 8:00pm
Echo's Mother

What is a Kim Osibin cone former and where do you buy one? Just in case I decide I can't live without one.
Old 2013-05-28, 8:02pm
Echo's Mother

Never mind. I googled. Got my answers.
Old 2013-05-29, 5:46am
Formerly FishBulb

Shawnette wasn't kidding when she said they take a lot of glass. I use a 1.5" press often, and the beads take around 1 1/2 - 2 full rods of glass. It's a SSL Slim, so not even as thick as a regular one. Have at least 3 - 4 rods of glass handy when you make your lentil, if not more.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2013-05-29, 7:35am
Dix Harrison

You folks are awesome!

I expect a learning curve, but with so much glass in use, mistakes could be costly.

All of these hints are great. Any more thoughts or ideas? Keep em coming!
Old 2013-05-29, 7:35am
I fart diamonds

Use crap glass as the core.

Old 2013-05-30, 6:08am
Formerly FishBulb

^^ This

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2013-05-30, 4:31pm

Don't be afraid of it...first time I looked at my Zooziis slim sided lentil plus, I about fell out of my chair! I don't use it often because it is much larger than I realized. But I do use it every once in awhile when I have some serious time at the torch.

They do fill differently than the smaller lentils - by that I mean that you have to take some time to really learn how much glass to use in one. Silly me tried to rush it once - uhm, let's just say that ugly doesn't begin to cover how bad that one turned out! Lol

Lastly, be prepared for the weight of that much glass on a mandrel. I have a creation station and was really glad to have something to rest my arm on while rotating those big beads!

Beaded Chic

Old 2013-05-30, 5:33pm

Location: 6 month in Ontario and 6 month in either Michigan or Florida

I for one always seem to make big beads and its really hard for me to do small tiny beads.
A couple of months ago I had a weekend of peace and quiet so lets say that i never left the torch and without paying much attention to how big my beads were getting. I made 7 matching 50 mm rounds then just flattened one side. I really liked what I had made so I sent pics to a client that always buys my 30 mm beads just for kicks and a few chuckles. This was a set that was going to stay on display for my personal use. My client begged me to sell them to her and she is constantly asking if I can make more huge beads. When I mailed the package out the beads weighed 9 ounces before packaging material.

My advice is go for it and do not let anything disturb you like phones or husbands because it is a lot of glass to work with and time. And its quite addicting to be able to work on such a big surface.

Micki

Old 2013-07-26, 4:30pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I have been doing lots and lots of the slim large plus ones with my zoozii press, I really love it. Most of my designs are internal with clear encasement. If you need to add glass it's best to add it at the CENTER of the bead on both sides. I know it sounds counterintuitive, especially if you are short of glass at the holes, but it really does work. I read that tip somewhere, either here or on FB, and it really does work for me.

Old 2013-07-26, 5:40pm

Astrid, 'Splain that please about adding at the center... I am highly challenged as to written instruction and am having a hard time trying to find the center you described!

Barbara
Old 2013-07-27, 6:55am

I think she means if you mash your bead the first time in the press and see that you need to add glass, you should add it to the center of the bead on both sides.......at least that is how I read it.

Old 2013-07-28, 5:25am
Certified Glassaholic!

What I did with all of my presses is I used Fimo/Sculpey or some other type of shaping goo and made bead templates if you will for each cavity. I basically have sample rounds for each of the cavities and when I go to make my beads I eyeball my bead against the sample bead and this pretty much ensures I get just the right amount of glass each time

Old 2013-07-28, 5:48am

Umm, did you say Ugly...this was my very first LARGE lentil....Wow, boy was it ugly. I had no idea what I was getting into. haha Still practicing with it..these tips will be very helpful, once I get the courage up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadedChic View Post
Silly me tried to rush it once - uhm, let's just say that ugly doesn't begin to cover how bad that one turned out! Lol

Lastly, be prepared for the weight of that much glass on a mandrel. I have a creation station and was really glad to have something to rest my arm on while rotating those big beads!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-08-02, 8:25am
Glass-aholic

For xl lentils I prefer the graphite shaper that has a 1/2 Lentel shape groves in it in different sizes. You just paddle it on either side. It's so easy and effortless.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-02, 8:53am
Melody of Glass

I tried my 35 and 45 mm lentils from Perlenpresse (ordered through Julie) last night for the first time. They are fun! As folks have said, they take a LOT of glass. The ssl is much easier but the regular is not bad either. I made one plain trans cobalt lentil that I actually quite like. Imagine that...a plain bead! It's such a large canvas that I had trouble containing myself.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-08-02, 5:46pm
color bomb

I have a 2" SSL that I'm terrified of. I have never used it. Maybe now I will try.

Old 2013-08-02, 6:03pm
Melody of Glass

Try with crap glass, Cinder. Nothing to lose. I just tested out a method I wasn't sure would work with this scummy bubbly batch of clear I have. Worked like a charm. And my dog walker loved it anyway and took it with her

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-08-02, 6:16pm
color bomb

I started once then got distracted and dropped that heavy monstrosity in my quench bowl. That was my first and last attempt. lol

However, I've got some scene beads I'd like to try, so I think I'll give it another go in the next few days.

Old 2013-08-02, 6:25pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I just got the Michael barley lentil press with the changeable disks. It is so awesome and SO huge!! I did the first one with a 1.5 lentil then the next one I put the flat disk on one side making a flat back lentil. I figure I will start with designs that I can add to if I don't have enough glass rather than something that would be ruined if I didn't have enough. When I get used to it I should be ok. Was thinking of using crap glass to make a sample bead to show size.
Will see how my beads come out in the am. Fingers crossed.

Old 2013-08-03, 12:07am
Glass-aholic

You can use air dry or polymer clay to make a size mold, so you don't waste glass...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-08-14, 8:51am
I'm kinda biz-EE

I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I did mean that if you need to add glass add it to the center of the bead on both sides and then reheat. The glass will spread. If your ends are coming up short there isn't enough glass yet to fill the press.

Cinder, you should try this, I think you'd really like it once you get the hang of it. Honestly, I think the spree shapes are some of the easiest for me. The only shape I had better luck with as a newbie were the cubes which are very forgiving.

Old 2013-08-14, 8:53am

I'm still confused a bit - by the center of the bead, do you mean along the mandrel line?

Barbara
Old 2013-08-14, 11:01am
color bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post

Cinder, you should try this, I think you'd really like it once you get the hang of it. Honestly, I think the spree shapes are some of the easiest for me. The only shape I had better luck with as a newbie were the cubes which are very forgiving.
I sold it so I could get some from Graceful Customs. lol!

Old 2013-08-14, 3:08pm

I wouldn't try it if you are on a Hothead. It can be done, but it will take a couple days....

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.