Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2011-05-11, 12:50am
picking Job's Tears

Default Upgrading from Hothead, what torch do or don't I want?

Hi all,

I don't post outside the Bathroom and the Game Room often these days, so please forgive me if I kinda barge in here.

I'm a perpetual newbie at this time and my glass control sucks (but has gotten better) and my heat control is worse. I don't want to melt boro in the foreseeable future.

The three torches I thought about the most are the Minor, Cricket and Bobcat.

I PMed Kalera last night (she is the one here who I have known the longest) and part of her recommendation (I won't tell you the rest to not preempt suggestions) was to post in the forums. I checked the tips and techniques and the torch questions forums (and will post there too, in one of them ), and didn't find anything recent that would apply to me. I took a class (3 years ago) on a minor and I'm not really sure it would offer me a lot over the Hothead I got (other than the noise of the torch going away, but there's the added noise of the oxycon, the class was using tanks). When the Cricket first came out I was sure I wanted one but I'm not so sure anymore after what I have read in the meantime. Another one I have thought about is the Bobcat.

I'm getting Mary Miller's (used) Invacare 5 and we had a long conversation about torches among other things. She told me "you don't want a Minor, you'd be buying a new torch on 6 months" (and I can see that, even 3 years later). She loved her 'mini max' and was sorry for me that she already sold it.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Maren
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2011-05-11, 2:29am
Happy Beadmaker!

Hi Maren! I use (and have used for last 12 years) the GTT torches, first a Bobcat and now a Lynx. Originally purchased GTT because of reputation of clean burning, etc. and overall dependability. That said, I would do the same today.

JMTC!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2011-05-11, 6:22am

I went from the hothead to a minor, then to a lynx. I am happy with the lynx. I chose GTT because they have a good solid reputation. Anything goes wrong with the torch you can send it to them for repairs.

Kbinkster has a presence here on LE making it nice if you have a quick question.

Old 2011-05-11, 9:30am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

If you feel that you're still struggling with controlling the glass and the heat but want to move on from a Hot Head, a Minor would fill the bill for your next phase.

My torch evolution started with a Hot Head, moved on to a used Minor with a 5-lpm oxycon, then to a Cricket (eventually upgrading to an 8-lpm oxycon), and now to a four-stud Scorpion.

For me, the difference between a Hot Head and a Minor was huge! Given that your class on the Minor was three years ago, I bet you'll see a big difference now. In my small experience, the noise from an oxycon varies between makes. My old 5-lpm Devilbiss is really loud compared to the EX-15 8-lpm, which just purrs quietly. I'm just about to replace the Devilbiss with another EX-15.

If you're feeling like a perpetual newbie, just get a used Minor to get comfortable with a propane/oxygen-mix torch.

Old 2011-05-11, 9:46am

A minor is a perfectly good torch and you likely would be on it for years. A lot of beadmaker have been using it for a long time and all classes I have taken have been on a minor.

That being said when I moved up from the HH to a big girl torch, I choose the mini CC. I choose this because the heat was a little wider in the flame. I really like my torch and have been happy with the results.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-05-11, 9:58am
Dichro Addict

I can only speak from my personal experience, but I think you would be happy with a Minor or a Cricket.

Old 2011-05-11, 4:06pm
picking Job's Tears

Thank you for posting here, those who did. I find it interesting that I got some comments in the bathroom that are apparently contradictory, about torches working well or not working well on 5 lpm. Are these different opinions depending in what people expect?
-
-
-

Old 2011-05-11, 5:57pm
Alaska Boro

A Cricket is designed for low oxygen use. One with a single 5 lpm unit and propane will work fine. Had been using that setup for boro. Adding a 2nd concentrator at the same psi does make the Cricket come alive.

If you desire a broader flame, consider the Scorpion with an inner and outer ring. However there is a very significant price point difference. It will require two concentrators and will run very nice on three with propane. Two if NG.

Now use the Scorpion on natural gas at 1/2 psi. It would run hotter on propane at 5 psi.
Old 2011-05-11, 6:11pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I would get a cricket if you are using a single 5 lpm machine. I have used both a minor and a cricket and prefer the cricket.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-05-11, 7:15pm

I'll add that my mini cc is being used on a concentrator.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-06-08, 1:29am

The cricket is a great little torch and GTT is a good company. I like that the torch does not get hot so you can touch the upper part of the barrel without getting burned just don't touch the tip of the barrel. I hold my hand next to the barrel to steady my hand for stringer work.

Old 2011-06-09, 11:53am

I think if you are moving from a hot head that you would like the mini cc the best. I worked on a hot head for three years and moved to mini and I love it. I teach on it and use it in my personal studio. The flame is bushier and more powerful that a mini or the cricket. I could upgrade but for my work it is perfect and has been for many years. I use a concentrator with it. that said, if you go cheaper and use a minor , it will still be a significant upgrade from a hot head.
Old 2011-06-09, 7:02pm
picking Job's Tears

Sorry, I have just kept reading more opinions. I probably should have posted that in the meantime I have ordered and gotten a Cricket, got it set up but not lit it yet (life got in the way, as so often).

I know that I'm not the only one who is in this position at this time, so I'm sure more comments will be read by more people too.

Thank you all!
-
-
-