Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-06-15, 4:33pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Default Wondering how to make this effect...

Hi everyone! Happy Wednesday!! This is a bead by Astrid Riedel. What I was wondering is how to make the "lined" part that swirls around the bead? If someone can tell me, or point me to an appropriate tutorial? I was looking at SE4, does that have instructions for something like this? Thanks for any info

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor and Oxy Con with AF3P Kiln

Last edited by ByCher; 2011-06-15 at 4:34pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2011-06-15, 5:23pm
Flaming Redhead!

Michael Barley did a tutorial for that technique...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/55704235...-bead-tutorial

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2011-06-15, 6:18pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Thanks Alex, but I don't think it's the same thing. Is it the same thing? His looks like a ribbed pattern on a light core, with transparent color over the top.

Old 2011-06-15, 6:26pm
Flaming Redhead!

The technique is the same as the one Michael uses. I made this bead using the technique and just changed the colours. His tutorial will show you how to make the ribs in the glass.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2011-06-15, 6:29pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Very pretty!!!! Thank you!

Old 2011-06-15, 10:00pm

I think it pretty much the same thing but I think the Michael Barley bead doesn't use silver galss and the bead you are showing us it is silver glass. This tut also covers it calling is snaketrail http://www.etsy.com/listing/59726552...r-glass-e-book I have this one but do not have the Michael Barley one yet.
Old 2011-06-15, 10:45pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Thank you for that link! That one looks almost exactly like it. Both tuts are $25 or more so it will be a bit before I find out how to do it, but now I know where to go!!

Old 2011-06-15, 10:45pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Cher, I think the best you could do is just ask Astrid herself. She's a member here
I personally find it more appropriate to ask the creator of the bead him or herself instead of posting a picture of a bead and asking others.

Old 2011-06-15, 10:49pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Thanks Suzanne, I was thinking that myself. The bead is just an example, I've seen many others like that. Astrid is away for a month I think. I was reading her blog. I may email her anyway. Lots of people make beads with that effect so I thought I might find the answer here, that's why I came here first.

Old 2011-06-15, 10:53pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Great!

Old 2011-06-15, 11:32pm
~ toes in the sand.

While Astrid's beads are AMAZING, that is without question a Barley Technique~ different effects can be achieved with different glass.

His tutorial is well worth the money.

Old 2011-06-16, 4:20am

Wink

AND.........BOTH Michael Barley and Astrid travel to teach! I would highly recommend either of their workshops to you.

Old 2011-06-16, 6:55am

Astrid is away so she wont be answering. I have been taught by both Michael and Astrid and it is definitely the same technique as described in Michael's tutorial. Astrid just has the gift to make it look very special.
Old 2011-06-17, 6:51pm

I have Michael's tutorial and it paid for itself with the first focal I made from it. I've used that tutorial and techniques more than any other tutorial I've bought. Definitely worth the price.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2011-06-18, 4:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
Cher, I think the best you could do is just ask Astrid herself. She's a member here
I personally find it more appropriate to ask the creator of the bead him or herself instead of posting a picture of a bead and asking others.
But one time there was a huge thread on here about everyone and their uncle bombarding all the really good artists with "how-to" questions. They were talking about how rude it is. I kind of agree. In fact, I asked Astrid how to do this same technique (true story!) and she would not tell me, she said to take her class. I wasn't offended, it just made me realize how annoying that must be to have a full inbox from people asking you to tell them your secrets!

Old 2011-06-18, 12:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
But one time there was a huge thread on here about everyone and their uncle bombarding all the really good artists with "how-to" questions. They were talking about how rude it is. I kind of agree. In fact, I asked Astrid how to do this same technique (true story!) and she would not tell me, she said to take her class. I wasn't offended, it just made me realize how annoying that must be to have a full inbox from people asking you to tell them your secrets!
I agree. The question was about a technique, not a how to make that specific bead. The technique is Michael's and any questions about his technique should be directed to his tutorial. I agree with Astrid as well, if you want to learn how to make her style of bead, you should take her class, or maybe she will write another tutorial for us too far away.

As a side note, I have all of Michael's tutorials as well as Astrid's new "Mystery of the Rose Murrini" tutorial, and they are all excellent. Since I'm not really able to travel and take classes, the tutorials are the best way to learn new skills.
Old 2011-06-19, 3:54am

Taking a class or buying a tutorial is not the only way to learn a technique.

A lot of techniques I learned from just trying and wasting glass. I have put a lot of hours in making beads, trying to do things, using different colors, etc. While expirimenting, you learn a lot about glass properties. Also some chemical and physical knowledge can be used to predict what will happen.

Look at a bead and work like Sherlock Holmes and try to understand what caused the bead to look that way. Sometimes you will discovery new and unexpected reaction when unraveling things.

In my opinion nobody "owns" a technique, but you can refer to a tutorial written by someone or someones classes. Some techniques or designs are made/discovered at the same time in different places by different people.

|
Old 2011-06-19, 8:43pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Wow, I was thinking this was a friendly place for lampworkers to communicate and share ideas. I didn't know it would offend anyone if I asked about a technique. Actually, I'm pretty much a newbie and would probably figure it out in time myself anyway. And I figured there was probably a tutorial out there that explained it, I just didn't know which one. I'll refrain from asking other lampworkers questions about what they do on LE, I didn't know it was annoying. My apologies.

Old 2011-06-19, 9:04pm
Dynamic Duo

Cher - please feel free to ask what you want here - ....But also utilize search to find out things. and it seems that you have been doing that.

This particular technique intrigued me for a few years after it started appearing. And through trial and error I did figure out what it was and how to do it. I did buy M Barley's tut and it confirmed that what I figured out was indeed how it is basically done.

Anlother example is petals, which I think I first fell in love with when featured in Anastasia's beads. I worked on these for about 3 years- Now all of a sudden there are 3 different tutorials that I know of - 2 you pay for, by Amy Trescot and Magma beads, and a free one by j2canoe. Now all three are slightly different, yet also very much the same. I have all three, and use a bit from each.

Now if you are going to ask people, just be aware that some people freely share and some people don't- and there are various reasons. And I do not mean to imply any sort of 'value judgement' on either case. This whole art of lampworking is historically very secretive, based on appentices learning from masters.

I would love to buy all tutorials and attend classes. Once in awhile can afford a tutorial, and from what I see of classes, unless I win the lottery some day, they will always be out of reach. So you need to have fun with trial error- I know we do!

Last edited by flaming_fools; 2011-06-20 at 10:41pm.
Old 2011-06-19, 10:36pm

Nice answer Michael and Brad!
Old 2011-06-19, 10:47pm

Wish my English was a whole lot better. Michael and Brad you put in words the same thing I wanted to express.

|
Old 2011-06-19, 10:57pm

Cher I know how you feel but you are not alone.
A friend and I were severely wrapped over the knuckles a few years ago for asking what we thought was an innocent question after doing an extensive search.
Some people on LE share freely which is wonderful and others don't which is their prerogative and I respect that BUT then there are those who feel it is their right to lecture and to so call protect the rights of others and these are the people that just drive me nuts and give LE a bad name.
I can't begin to tell you the amount of people I have met (in America) who tell me they no longer participate on LE because of the nastiness which is very sad but such is life, generally though, I would say if you mind your own business this is a fun place to visit and you will learn so much.

Last edited by Carmen Isaacs; 2011-06-19 at 11:00pm.
Old 2011-06-20, 12:06am
Lynne Smith

Oh dear, there we go again. I was Carmen's friend who was severely, and I mean severely wrapped over the knuckles for asking what I thought was an innocent question. Since then I have kept a pretty low profile. If all of you who leap in to pass judgement look at Cher's request you will see that she asked how to do or where could she find a tut for that technique. Not a biggie and most certainly no reason to make her feel unwelcome.

Lynne S

Donald Kennedy

Last edited by Lynne Smith; 2011-06-20 at 12:15am.
Old 2011-06-20, 6:02am
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Thank you for the nice posts everyone. The artists on LE have been pretty nice to me, and extremely supportive when I really needed it (which for the past couple years has been most of the time). I have an uncanny knack of saying things the wrong way and that's one of the reasons I don't post in the forums much. But I can be teacheded guys, so please don't give up on me!

Old 2011-06-20, 8:08am
cherry blossom beads

Cher
I see nothing wrong with your posts....keep up your fantastic attitude towards learning. IMHO some people don't know how to talk to others. There are ways to communicate with others without being offensive/rude but some are better at it than others obviously. Some people just are less tolerant than other people unfortunately. Many earn their living from their tutorials and art but they all started at the beginning at some point....by posting pictures and topics here on the forum how can anyone not expect some questions or remarks....I believe that those are compliments and should be treated as such. I am not trying to stir things up at all just voicing my perspective....
Old 2011-06-20, 8:39am

Smile Hi Cher

Hi Cher,
I am a recent convert (?addict) at bead-making and in the last 6 months or so I have acquired a lot of information from this site. Unfortunately I have also discovered that there are a number of people who post unnecessarily unpleasant replies to innocent questions.
No-one can "own" a technique in glass. How can anyone prove that they invented anything? I can easily say that I discovered something for myself and there can be no proof that I didn't.

Anyone with talent, enough practice and money for wasted glass can make any of the beads you can see on this site, just because someone wants to charge money for a tutorial doesn't make it his/her technique.
This isn't rocket science, it's not that difficult and really, when it comes down to it, it's just bloody jewellery... (But Good Lord some of it is AMAZING!)

I'm a doctor. I trained for 13 years to do my job and it cost me a small fortune to acquire my skills, yet I give information freely to colleagues (just today I showed a young doctor how to remove an Implanon from an arm - No I didn't charge for the tutorial), as do all doctors. It's called professional courtesy, something that's sometimes lacking here!

Well, now that I've said that, (and probably alienated most of the people on this site) I'll also add that most of the people here are great and the little bit of personal contact I've had has been really helpful and friendly.

regards Suzanne in Oz
(Who's wondering whether I should buy a fire extinguisher for the inevitable flaming......)
Old 2011-06-20, 9:59am
Against the Grain

See post #38 for a good hint on how this is done.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...81#post1847681

Old 2011-06-20, 10:08am
Bad Cat Glass

Suzanne, we may both need a fire extinguisher eventually, but I agree with you. Nobody can own a technique in glass any more than they can in any other area of artistic endeavor. Even Dale Chihuly discovered that his wonderful sea anemone chandeliers could not be considered a protected technique in court when he sued one of his assistants for making something using the technique...and lost. There are some fabulous artists here and they make some amazing pieces of jewelry and glass art. I don't object to paying to learn a technique sometimes, but mostly it's a short-cut to information that can be acquired through trial and error. I just don't understand the breathless near hysteria that's generated on occasion over a simple question, even if it doesn't always follow the traditional etiquette and unwritten rules that seem to prevail in sites like this one.
Old 2011-06-20, 11:16am
Storm Queen

I guess you could say that no one "owns" a technique. But I think if you are admiring someone's bead and you wonder how they did a certain technique, it has to do with respect for that artist. Especially if you find out that the technique was made popular by that one individual and they came up with it first. Just have some respect.

There have been threads here where people were reverse engineering someone's bead. They just didn't ask a simple question and got their "knuckles severely wrapped". They were picking apart someone's bead and trying to reverse engineer it. I find that disrespectful. Did they email the artist? No. They just posted here and tried to pick it apart.

Old 2011-06-20, 11:25am
Bad Cat Glass

Yes, I do think that's a little different and somewhat disrespectful. It involves copying a design not just trying to learn a technique. I think there is a distinction there, but sometimes simple questions do elicit an over-reaction that seems disproportionate to the issue involved.