Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-06-26, 10:43pm
Old to LE, new to torch

Default My tank leaked propane...Now what?

Hi everyone, I've been gone from the forums for a really long time. Kinda sucks that this is my first post, coming back, but here goes. I lampworked today, using my HH torch and a 1lb canister of propane. I must not have turned the valve off completely, because 5 hours later, my hubby and I entered the garage and could both smell the rotten egg. My question is, how should I proceed? I only use 1lb canisters, so it wasn't coming from any larger tank. I'm a little scared to strike my torch until I have some reassurance or advice, TIA.

I work a graveyard shift, so if I don't answer posts/pms right away, it's because I'm sleeping, not being rude
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-27, 12:18am

Screw on new canister after your room has cleared of old gas leak, soap test befor lighting up. Maybe you didnt turn off all the way or maybe you have a bad connection. I agree dont light up unless passes soap est. Contact manufacturer of hot head or local retailer if there are still uncertainties.
Old 2011-06-27, 2:20pm
Old to LE, new to torch

It was my understanding that propane pools at the lowest point, which in this case would be the bottom of the oil pit in our garage. How do you know when the gas is cleared? Does it eventually evaporate? I'm sure it was my torch valve because I was able to tighten it more when I smelled the gas, however, I will do the soap test on the canisters too.

I work a graveyard shift, so if I don't answer posts/pms right away, it's because I'm sleeping, not being rude
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-27, 2:56pm
Loving learning

I don't know what an oil pit is. Is it a lot lower? Can you put a fan out there to blow across it toward the outdoors?
Old 2011-06-27, 5:47pm
Old to LE, new to torch

Eileen, an oil pit is a pit that is deep enough to stand in, and you drive your car over top of it to change the oil (or any other repair that requires being under the car). Does anyone know the answer to my question regarding if it evaporates after time? Dale? Mike?

Old 2011-06-27, 6:27pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I would point fan down into pit and let run for a while, if there is no odor you are probably safe....

I actually think those type of pits are a safety hazard and may even be illegal if not properly ventilated because of the gas pooling thing and people have been known to suffocate in them .... IF it were me, I would have it filled and caped over with concrete....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-06-27 at 6:30pm.
Old 2011-06-27, 8:52pm
Old to LE, new to torch

Thanks, Dale. I'll try that. I agree with your sentiments regarding the oil pit. Always afraid my son will try to sneak in to it (he's a mischievous little boy). Unfortunately, we rent so filling it is out of the question. Thank you for the help. I've been really nervous about the leak.

Old 2011-06-28, 6:36am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesLegacy View Post
Thanks, Dale. I'll try that. I agree with your sentiments regarding the oil pit. Always afraid my son will try to sneak in to it (he's a mischievous little boy). Unfortunately, we rent so filling it is out of the question. Thank you for the help. I've been really nervous about the leak.
Have landlord take care of it as a "attractive nuisance hazard" ....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-07-04, 9:51am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Option is to cover it with heavy wooden cover. I mean heavy as in 2x6 joist framing and 1" plywood decking then seal edges to concrete with silicone so it doesn't 'fill' with anything nasty.
Old 2011-07-06, 8:01pm

Wow, I didn't know those oil pits were even legal anywhere anymore. IMO, covered it might be even more dangerous, as it would be hard to seal completely against leaking propane or gasoline. Big fan until you can't smell anything, then fan some more.

Knight Bullet Burner
Tanks
mostly boro technical projects

"I'm sure I'm on a planet but I don't know if it's still earth."