Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-06-11, 12:22pm
I ate a big red candle!

Default Cracking bead. Help me troubleshoot?

Untitled-1 by HeatherBehrendt, on Flickr

Here's the cracked bead. It's quite a bummer.

The surface is completely smooth and it looked fine when I put it in the kiln. I am using a new bead release and I recently tweaked my kiln program. My husband pointed out that the crack line almost seems to be in a spiral pattern.

Someone suggested that maybe I didn't heat the bead release enough before building the bead. I'm wondering if that might be the case. I just switched from fusion which gets weakened by heat, so I barely heat the mandrel before building the bead. Do you think that might be it?

I don't think it's the color combo because I used the same color on some smaller simple beads in the same kiln cycle. It's effetre apricot and transparent light topaz.

I'm still pretty conservative in my kiln program, so that seems unlikely. I hold it at 920 for an hour before ramping down. Either way I was working on other beads after this one, so it would have been held at 920 for like 3 hours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2013-06-11, 12:32pm
Live and Let Live

I think maybe it is the color combo at that larger size. You've gotten away with it on a smaller scale. BUT, we know that the orange glasses don't like to be encased typically. So if you use a base of clear against the mandrel, then cover with the Apricot, then encase with the Topaz, it might work.

Old 2013-06-11, 12:50pm
I ate a big red candle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
I think maybe it is the color combo at that larger size. You've gotten away with it on a smaller scale. BUT, we know that the orange glasses don't like to be encased typically. So if you use a base of clear against the mandrel, then cover with the Apricot, then encase with the Topaz, it might work.
Oh, I had never heard of the orange incompatibility. Well that sucks but at least I know

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2013-06-11, 1:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
agree. Freakin Awesome bead!!

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2013-06-11, 1:06pm
Senior Moment

You're not using Blue Sludge are you? There was a thread not too long ago about it; apparently it was causing beads to crack. If you are, here's the thread : http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=Crack+release

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-06-11, 1:13pm
I ate a big red candle!

Nope, no blue sludge

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2013-06-11, 1:34pm
specializing in obnoxious

It is too bad it is unstable, because those cracks are gorgeous through the transparent orange.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2013-06-11, 1:37pm
I ate a big red candle!

Yeah, I'll just make a pendant for myself and accept that it'll break down eventually. The cracks do look cool even though they suck a dick.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2013-06-11, 1:44pm
specializing in obnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Behrendt View Post
Yeah, I'll just make a pendant for myself and accept that it'll break down eventually. The cracks do look cool even though they suck a dick.
If only then you'd really make good money selling your beads

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2013-06-11, 2:07pm
I ate a big red candle!

art/fleshlight

Can someone start making beadable fleshlights? The beads wouldn't need to be that big.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2013-06-11, 2:57pm
Senior Moment

Urgh. But it would be a bad, bad thing if they cracked and broke...

Just sayin LOL

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-06-11, 3:03pm
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
art/fleshlight

Can someone start making beadable fleshlights? The beads wouldn't need to be that big.
HAHAHAHA

Old 2013-06-11, 4:04pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
art/fleshlight

I made 40mm anal beads recently, close enough?

|
|
Old 2013-06-11, 4:11pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
I made 40mm anal beads recently, close enough?
Eww... t.m.i.
Old 2013-06-11, 4:16pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Eww... t.m.i.
They weren't for *me* LOL

|
|
Old 2013-06-11, 4:29pm
I ate a big red candle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
They weren't for *me* LOL
Of course not they aren't for you. Don't be silly! 40mm is for amateurs!

Oh right, this isn't the bedroom

My fledgling etsy shop

Last edited by Heather Behrendt; 2013-06-11 at 4:43pm.