Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2005-10-13, 7:38am
pamtees

Default Anyone have the perfect light box for photos?

My son

Last edited by Tropical Heat; 2006-06-25 at 11:08pm.
Old 2005-10-13, 7:48am
"Sinners have soul too"

Try this, it all folds down and there are little pockets for the lights and tripod that are included (tripod is kinda cheesy).
http://www.buy.com/prod/American_Rec...ml?dcaid=17282

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zen-mom; 2005-10-13 at 7:49am. Reason: typo
Old 2005-10-13, 8:00am
ManBearPig

I made my own. Cost me about $15. I'll post pics when I get home from work.

Old 2005-10-14, 3:57am
I fart diamonds

I made a cheap studio setup, but I just bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Tabletop-Ligh...QQcmdZViewItem

Works pretty good and only cost $20.16 shipped.

Old 2005-10-14, 5:42am
It's about time!

Me too! Now I'll have no excuse but to take decent pictures!!! Shawnette, thanks for the link!
Old 2005-10-14, 5:54am

I went to lowes and bought pvc pipe and elbows. I bought some white nylon fabric (like from parachute pants if anyone remembers those things...). I clamped that all around and saftey pinned the edges. on the three sheeted walls I also clamped on those quilting clear sheet thingys...no idea what they are called. They are colorless but kinda a matte transparent. Then I bought 6 clap lamps from lowes and 200 and 300 watt bulbs. (make sure the lamps are rated for that. I clamp those to the table the mini studio sits on and shine them in on the three sides. I turn off all overhead lights to minimize as much reflection as possible. I'll try to post a picture of it later but I moved it and don't have it setup yet again.
Old 2005-10-14, 5:55am

Oh ya, I shaped the PVC pipe into a box except nothing across the top of the front so it didn't get in the way of taking the pics. Also, I bought clamp lamps not clap lamps...
Old 2005-10-14, 6:05am
ManBearPig

Here's the one I use...

http://www.soleiletlune.com/tent1.jpg
http://www.soleiletlune.com/tent2.jpg

Old 2005-10-14, 7:59am
Cheeky & Impervious

OK...I've got the light cube thing. I am using daylight balanced fluorescent bulbs. Or at least, I think they're the right ones, maybe not?! ANyway, my pics STILL have a yellowish background tint....how do I get rid of the background using Photoshop?!?! ANyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?!?! (Granted haven't even taken a pic in over a month....haven't had any freakin time to practice....grrrr.) So, I've decided I'm just a photo dumbass. If ANYONE can help give me a tip, I'd appreciate it. (BTW: I bought the EZCube for convenience's sake....to be honest, I would build one like Cosmo's....they're outrageously expensive, and think of all the glass you could buy instead!!)

P.S. Sorry if I hijacked, didn't mean to, you can whip me with wet noodles for it....

~ Jules

Old 2005-10-14, 8:21am

Quote:
ANyway, my pics STILL have a yellowish background tint....how do I get rid of the background using Photoshop
I don't know what kind of camera you have but my Canon Powershot has a feature in the White Balance where you can adjust for whatever lightsource you are using-daylight, tungsten etc. There are 2 options for fluorescent in mine & with one I get a yellow & one gives me a nice white background.
Oh & I use a light cube that I picked up on ebay from this seller for about $20.

Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Last edited by flameonglass; 2005-10-14 at 8:32am.
Old 2005-10-14, 9:14am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julabula
OK...I've got the light cube thing. I am using daylight balanced fluorescent bulbs. Or at least, I think they're the right ones, maybe not?! ANyway, my pics STILL have a yellowish background tint....how do I get rid of the background using Photoshop?!?! ANyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?!?! (Granted haven't even taken a pic in over a month....haven't had any freakin time to practice....grrrr.) So, I've decided I'm just a photo dumbass. If ANYONE can help give me a tip, I'd appreciate it. (BTW: I bought the EZCube for convenience's sake....to be honest, I would build one like Cosmo's....they're outrageously expensive, and think of all the glass you could buy instead!!)

P.S. Sorry if I hijacked, didn't mean to, you can whip me with wet noodles for it....

~ Jules
Use the Curves function to adjust the colors. Levels works sort of, but can kind of wash out some colors. How much you adjust it depends on the original color and the color you want to achieve. You may want to try lengthening the exposure for your camera as well. That will let more light in and will result in a brighter picture.

Old 2005-10-14, 9:21am
Covered in glitter

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/19002-2.html
http://www.tabletopstudio.com/docume...hotography.htm
http://www.home-jewelry-business-suc...g-jewelry.html

I didn't make one but some of these links might help. What I have is a Cloud Cube that I am embarassed to say that I've had for about 6 months and it's never come out of the box. I got it on eBay. I think it cost about $175. with s/h.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche

Last edited by debkauz; 2005-10-14 at 9:26am.
Old 2005-10-14, 10:14am
CA Queen Bitch

Pardon my mess!! The torch sitting there is NOT the one I use, it's not even hooked up to anything. I really wouldn't want to burn my house down, safety patrol!! LOL!!
I just got the light cube thingy & this is how I use it. I get great results, even at night!! I just snapped this photo and fixed it very slightly in photoshop 6.0. If you use Photoshop, you can get rid of the yellow by holding down control and L at the same time. A pop up comes up with a display and 3 choices of background color in dropper form. The far left dropper is black, the center is grey, and the far right one is white. I clicked on the white dropper, then clicked on the white background in the bead photo, and it fixed it automatically for me. I have a Sony DSC-F717. The lights are suspended from the ceiling on an aluminum ring. I had 250 watt photo bulbs in there but they were too bright! Now I just have some 100 watt Reveal bulbs. Also I put 2 pieces of vellum paper over the whole thing for even more glare reduction. This photo was taken in the dark, with only the lights in the cube itself. Hope this helps!

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-10-14, 10:31am
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julabula

~ Jules

Check the color light you use. I did a quick pic not long ago and used 2 different lights on either side. One side was yellow and the other pink! Not a good picture! LOL I'm not good with cameras but somewhere in your book for your camera there should be directions on how to adjust the White Balance. I find that if mine is on macro, the photo's tend to get very gold colored under artificial light. Learning more every day.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2005-10-14, 12:04pm
Cheeky & Impervious

Wow, thanks so much everyone! As soon as I get home I'm pulling this back up, getting out my manual, pulling up some photos in Photoshop and playing around!!!! Y'all are awesome!!!!

~ Jules

Old 2005-10-14, 12:15pm
CA Queen Bitch

Try the control L trick, Jules, it really fixes it. You can click on several different areas of your backfround to get it just right!
~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-10-14, 3:00pm
pamtees

This site

Last edited by Tropical Heat; 2006-06-25 at 11:09pm.