Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-12-01, 4:07pm
Ad astra per aspera

Default Does anyone else still shoot with film?

Just wondering.

My son is taking a photo class in college, using B&W film, doing his own developing and printing. He's using the camera that I bought for MY photo class in college, 30mumble years ago! (A Canon AE-1) He's really loving the class and making his own prints. The kid has a good eye for composition, too.

So I'm curious if anyone else out there still uses film and/or does their own darkroom work. I'm thinking of helping Alex set up a small darkroom in our guest bathroom. We have a long counter in there and no windows. The only light leak would be the door, itself, and I could hang a curtain over the door to solve that. We have a local camera shop that (I think) has all the chemicals he would need, but I'm not sure they carry all of the other supplies. I'm finding a few decent websites, though, and figured I'd share. I've been to the first one, in Chicago, and it's wonderful!

http://www.centralcamera.com
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/
http://www.bluemooncamera.com/inventory.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-01, 9:23pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Hey Karen,

I can't believe that we have the same camera!! I used it last spring to take pictures of my grandson's baseball game. Got some really good shots. Actually, all the film I had was B&W. I really miss using it. I never had a place to do darkroom stuff, though.
Old 2013-12-01, 9:27pm
Loving learning

I still have my enlarger, but haven't used it in a while. Other stuff has taken over my "darkroom" & turned it into a pantry, but I do dream of cleaning it out & setting up again.
Old 2013-12-01, 9:53pm
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Me.

I recommend freestylephoto.biz for everything, and exclusively them. They are the only company that is dedicated to purely analog photography.

And just an fyi.... film sales and paper sales have steadily increased since 2009, and last year experiences a significant spike in sales. Freestyle produces a market report ever quarter.

I wont go into my list of cameras because y'all haven't got that much time. Or darkroom equipment...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-02, 7:53am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGrasGlass View Post

I wont go into my list of cameras because y'all haven't got that much time. Or darkroom equipment...
Don't tease!

All I have is my AE-1, an Olympus XA (it's logged many miles on the Appalachian Trail), my Dad's Minox, and my aunt's Zeiss Ikonta. I love the Ikonta and take it out once in a while. Now that I've found a reliable film source, she may get more of a workout.

So c'mon Chris, tell!

Old 2013-12-04, 11:29pm

actually Pipyr who was on the list here for a while with her amazing boro animals, is totally into black and white photography right now.
as for online suppliers B and H photo ans adorama have supplied professional and amateur photographers for years.

#C-151
Old 2013-12-18, 6:42am
Boro Brat

Hey, thanks for the mention! Yep, I actually just set up a very crude darkroom in my basement so I no longer have to leave my house. I 2nd the vote for freestyle photo. I also occasionally buy stuff from adorama when I need it in a hurry. Freestyle is a fantastic company/cheerleader for analog photography! He might want to check out apug.org as well. It is a great place for film photographers with lots of wonderful talent and support. It makes me so happy to see new people coming on board with film. It is a completely different experience from shooting digital, which I do use for weddings and clients. Best of luck to him!!

Old 2013-12-18, 7:01am
ManBearPig

I still shoot with film from time to time. I have a Hasselblad medium format camera that I like to use. But it's getting harder and harder to find film for it. Well, not really harder, just a lot more expensive. So, I'm not sure how much more use it's going to get.