LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-11-08, 10:53am
Karen James

Default Mini CC and Oxycon Tips

I thought I would share this info in hopes that it is helpful to others who may also find they are not getting the best from their setups. I also hope that others who have information to add to this will.

I went from a Hot Head on small canisters to a Mini CC on bulk propane and a Devilbiss MC 84 Oxycon. Within about a year, I switched from propane to NG.

When I switched from the HH to the Mini, I was thrilled with the additional heat and power I was getting. I switched to NG because it was more efficient in my situation.

I want to note that at no time have I ever had problems with “hot knobs” on my Mini. As I was learning more and more I was realizing that I was not really getting the most from my torch. I was not getting the radiant heat or the bushy flame that others spoke of.

I started to do a lot of research into getting a second oxycon. Long and short of it, because of how things are set up in my glass working area, I would need to add another outlet in order to add another oxycon. I really wanted to avoid that if possible. So I kept reading and searching. I knew that my NG pressure was right, both from speaking with my plumber when he installed the line and from speaking with the Gas Company Rep. when he was out to check the meter. (Who by the way was kind enough to do a complete check on my NG line to my torch to insure that there was no leak. He also walked me through the process of doing a check myself.)

What I found I needed to do that I had not been doing was the following:

1) Although I vacuumed my filters regularly, I had not washed them. So, I washed them and dried them thoroughly before putting them back in my Oxycon.
2) The flame from NG looks different than the flame from Propane. I found that I wasn’t turning my NG up high enough at the torch when I lit it and while working.
3) I had not cleaned the ports on my Mini CC since I owned it which was a couple of years. So, I cleaned the ports thoroughly – but carefully. The torch did not come with a wire cleaner, so I picked one up at Lowe’s. I think it cost all of $5.00 w/tax.

Once I did these very simple things, I was amazed at the difference. Now I am not saying a second Oxycon wouldn’t make things even better. What I am saying is I am getting my Mini to do what it should be doing. I am getting a nice radiant heat, a nice bushy flame and I was able to melt down the tops of my Pyrex punty’s very quickly.

I hope this helps and I hope people will add to this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Karen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2009-11-08, 7:44pm

I've had my mini for about 7 years now, and I've tried it with 1 oxycon, 2 oxycons in parallel, and then I've always gone back to tanksed O2 to get the max out of my mini. It just seems mine likes the almost 100% pure O2 from the tank, not the 90, 91, 92% or whatever the oxycons put out depending on the particular filters, ect.

The two oxycons I tried in parallel did seem to run both a Minor and a midrange just fine.

I have heard that the newer mini's with the "high oxygen" option run a little better, but mine runs so well on tanked O2 that I've never pursued it any farther.

Oh - and my gas knobs get pretty hot after a long torch session....
Current flamethrowers: Redmax, a Mini CC, and a fancy Benelli Cordoba skeet gun.
Old 2009-11-09, 5:46am
Karen James

I do have the "high oxy" Mini. That may make a difference. At some point, I am sure I will give tanked O2 a shot, but right now I'm happy with the oxycon. I'm working in my basement so the idea of moving tanks is not appealing.

Thanks for adding Greg!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2009-12-02, 12:31pm

A quick update - I got an 5lpm oxycon for my birthday, and now after I've spent a few hours on it, it does work fine for small work, like icicles and beads. For larger boro marbles ( I just did one 1 9/16") I do switch over to the O2 tank for more flame volume.

The flame shape is a little different on the oxycon too.
Current flamethrowers: Redmax, a Mini CC, and a fancy Benelli Cordoba skeet gun.