Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-07, 10:41pm
I speak Murrini!

Unhappy Rubino SOS!!! Vendors Please HELP ME!!!

Hi All...

Well, I thought I'd get fancy and used a very dark Rubino I had lying around to make my latest Rose Murrini Cane. I was surprised just how DARK it was even when pulled out, but in trying the murrini yesterday and today I'm finding the color is going muddy. I'm SO SAD!!! What a waste of 3 1/2 hours, and lots of rods of other colors, too...not to mention my little gas canisters! I've tried applying these murrini at least 10 times and I'm afraid after all that work and a promising looking cane, this one's doomed!!!

Anyway, here's my question:

I've got a few rods of a "lighter" Rubino (which is what I used in my previous Rose Cane) and I need to get MORE! So, how do I avoid ending up with the dark stuff when I buy? I see several vendors have "Rubino 456" listed, but it seems almost impossible to tell from the photos on various sites what color they actually have in stock!

I've taken a few photos of the stuff I LOVE and the stuff I (now!) HATE, and I'm wondering if anyone knows FOR SURE where to find the "lighter" stuff.

The stuff I WANT - the "Lighter" stuff - is pictured on LEFT (OR TOP); the stuff I DON'T WANT - the "Darker" stuff (which looks almost PURPLE!) is on the RIGHT (OR BOTTOM).

Can anyone help me find what I'm looking for? Rubino is expensive and I just don't want to waste any more $ searching...and being disappointed and frustrated.

Here's a close up of the good, "Lighter" stuff, which looks quite Cranberry-ish! CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

Any assistance is sincerely appreciated!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2011-02-07 at 10:47pm.
Old 2011-02-07, 10:57pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, and if any non-vendor members have some of the LIGHTER COLOR STUFF they're willing to sell, I hope you'll please PM me!!!

Thank You!!!

Old 2011-02-08, 3:38am

Reichenbach's pink lady looks like your lighter rubino. Just in case that's easier for you to get hold of!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2011-02-08, 4:15am
Unmedicated since '62

i've got about five different rubinos (its a weakness) i'll have a look tomorrow for you

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-02-08, 4:53am
sunscreen me baby

PM me Dee. I love the darker stuff and am sure I have lighter I would be happy to trade.

~

Old 2011-02-08, 5:46am
Mary Lockwood

I love the darker stuff too, but don't have any of the lighter stuff to trade. I'm just posting to let you know that if the dark rubino is still nice and pink in the murrini chip, but goes livery-brownish when you apply it--I wonder if it is just not enough oxygen because you're on a hothead. What I'm getting at is that the chips might still work just fine in a more oxygen rich flame. I hate to see all that murrini just go to waste. You should test it out and see if it behaves better in a more oxidizing flame. You might could still sell them and recoup some of your expense and time at least. If it works.

Sorry about this happening. Rubino is really expensive and will only get more so I have a feeling. I like the CiM cranberry and Frantz has their pinks on sale right now.

~~Mary

Old 2011-02-08, 6:15am
sunscreen me baby

Good point Mary. I would be happy to try some Dee

~

Old 2011-02-08, 7:30am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I really like vetrofonds gold pink... same effects and 10 bucks cheaper, and its not dark dark

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-02-08, 7:48am

When I made my Rose murrini, I encased it with clear to protect the color from metaling up and turning. When I apply the murrini, I cover the cut side with clear too so it's really all encased in clear while applying it. I don't know if you mean you are getting metal residue which turns yucky, or the color is actually turning.

I like the CIM Cranberry and the Olympic color Ruby Gold I think it's called.

Old 2011-02-08, 9:08am
I speak Murrini!

Oh, thanks so much EVERYONE for replying to my plea!

Heather, I did check out Pink Lady: http://www.lampworksupplies.com/inde...3a5m6s8josc6a1 I see Irene/FlameKissed has some and she's written me overnight and will check her stash of Rubino today too to see if she has some of the lighter stuff. Maybe I should get a bit of both just to play it safe!

Suzy, thanks and I WILL PM you!!! Thanks for checking your stash and yes, I'd be happy to trade if you have a little of the LIGHTER stuff! I only have about 2 1/2 rods to trade, but I'd be happy to send you a segment of the Rose Murrini Cane to see if you can do anything with it! It would thrill me if you could give it a testing for moi!

Deb...if you have any of the Lighter stuff too, maybe I could trade you a Rose Cane segment for a few of your rods too!

Yes, Mary...I'm betting the good old Hot Head might have something to do with my problems! This is actually the first time I've used that Darker Rubino...my previous canes that used Rubino (i.e., Rose, Orchid - both "Pink" version, etc.) were worked with the Lighter Rubino and I had no problems. Even if this is the issue, I'm still working the HH for at least another month or two, so I'm thinking I better stick with the Lighter stuff. For now at least...

Thanks, Patient, for the suggestion on the Gold Pink. I DO have almost 2 rods of that color, but I'd hate to be 3/4 the way through making a new cane and run short! I may get a little more and see how that works for me.

Cynthia - your rose in the Feb. 4th Gallery is GORGEOUS! Those are the colors my FIRST cane turned out...I used the Lighter Rubino, though, so it's time to go back to the "original" recipe! I also encase my cane with clear and it's my customary routine to cap my murrini with clear too, so I don't really THINK it's over-exposure that making the Dark misbehave. I suspect that the rod just hates me and considering how very dark it is in cane form, I just think this darker Rubino and I don't mix.

Thanks again everyone!!!! Praying I get enough of the stuff that loves me BACK to keep rocking the Rose Cane! I have Glass Craft coming up and I want to be READY!

Hugs!

Old 2011-02-08, 9:10am
I speak Murrini!

Cynthia...a quick check on your suggestion and found this: http://www.lampworksupplies.com/inde...3a5m6s8josc6a1 That looks YUMMIE! Maybe that will be my stable, consistent "go to" color from now on....

Old 2011-02-08, 1:04pm

That's it De. And you know what, the darker one is beautiful too. It's not too dark, and it melts beautifully. I think my rose from the other day was made either with the darker version of that, or CIM. I can't remember.

I'm glad you liked my rose murrini. That means a lot coming from someone who makes very bootyfull murrini. I myself am NOT a murrini making fan so I was proud of my humble accomplishment. I made another one too. That one is lavender. I did get carried away with the petals though. It's pretty but it looks more like a carnation

Old 2011-02-08, 3:04pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
...I made another one too. That one is lavender. I did get carried away with the petals though. It's pretty but it looks more like a carnation
Oh, Cynthia I've done that too!

I just spent 3+ hours working on another pink one...and wouldn't you know it, my handles were too hot and the ends pulled thin, leaving a ginormous big cane in the middle. Ack! I've cut it up and will try reheating snippets and re-pulling it...but right now I'm feeling pretty sucky Oh well, tomorrow is a new day.

Thanks for all the encouragement and hopefully I'll get a few trades going and a good lot from Irene...

Old 2011-02-08, 3:55pm

DeAnne, I'm not terribly fond of the dark rubino either so the last time I ordered I just called the vendors and talked about what I was looking for and sent some an image. I got exactly what I wanted. I believe M&M was where I found the biggest shade selection and they were very helpful.

Old 2011-02-08, 8:27pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey Debi...I checked Moretti and More and see they have Rubino in stock. If Irene doesn't have what I'm looking for, I'll surely write them and see if theirs is close!

Cynthia...I saw your rose in tonight's Gallery! Thud! Just amazing!!! I'm PMing you 'cuz I have a question!

Suzy, sorry I've not PM'd yet...got crazy busy today but I'll shoot on over now!

You too Deb!

Old 2011-02-08, 9:22pm
"Sinners have soul too"

You could support your local glass shop and go pick your own color?

Old 2011-02-09, 9:10am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
You could support your local glass shop and go pick your own color?
(Back at 'cha Donna) Or.....I could ask my local shop owner to check her stock after looking at my photo and she could just pull it from her stock for me! Right?

Old 2011-02-09, 1:12pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Mine is definitely not as dark as what your dark rod looks like... I don't think I've ever seen Rubino that dark...

Mine looks like the lighter color you show in your pic.

Old 2011-02-18, 7:50pm
sunscreen me baby

Hey Dee. I got the glass and tried your cane. It's beautiful but that's not rubino. It sure looks like bordello to me. I just pulled a bead out of the kiln using the cane and it's definitely burgundy. Sure explains why it looked so dark to you, lol.

~

Old 2011-02-19, 11:56am
addicted to dichro

I hate ordering rubino, it varies sooo much it's like each batch is a completely different glass. I usually go in the garage sale room and beg if I want something specific.

Old 2011-02-19, 12:07pm

Oh De,
I have problems with the dark rubino with petal beads, I hate the brown color I got at the end of the bead, it was so ugly that I threw it away. I have to do that or else I will dwell on it and can't move forward if I have it staring me in the face.
Good luck finding your perfect color!
Teena
Old 2011-02-19, 12:11pm
sunscreen me baby

I took another look at the rods in daylight today, held up to light next to my bordello these are a touch more purple. I put one in the flame to try to get that reduction scum and couldn't make it happen the way rubino will. I don't think it was rubino but heck if I know what it is, lol.

~

Old 2011-02-19, 12:33pm

What about using CiM LT Cranberry??

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !