LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-10, 12:10pm

Question A better way to clean mandrels?

I have fibro in my hands and CT and an injured wrist. I can torch on alternating days.

The hardest part of the process is cleaning my mandrels. I usually take a scrubber in one hand and run each mandrel through the scrubber a few times and rinse. Sometimes it hurts my fingers and wrists.

Does anybody have a better way of doing this?
Old 2010-09-10, 12:15pm
Jacqueline Parkes

This was always a chore for me until I was told to thin out my bead release . Since then it has been a breeze, a minute or two at most to clean a handful of mandrels. I do let them soak in the sink for a bit first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-09-10, 12:21pm
honorary bead lady

Small brass wire brush, lay in laundry sink (a tray of water) and brush off you can do a lot at once.
Old 2010-09-10, 12:44pm
Hello?

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Small brass wire brush, lay in laundry sink (a tray of water) and brush off you can do a lot at once.
That is what I do. I have a plastic bristle brush that I use. Can do at least 10 at a time this way.

Old 2010-09-10, 12:53pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I use thin bead release too, and I soak all my beads for 12 - 24 hours prior to removal. I usually just have to wipe once with a scrubby and they're clean.

What about after you pull off the beads throwing the mandrels into a tray of coke or seltzer water to see if the soaking in carbonation helps to loosen the release?

((((Lori)))) I have CTS in both hands. It's the numbness that drives me bats sometimes.

Old 2010-09-10, 12:57pm
Cat herder

Have you tried just tossing them in the dishwasher? Haven't tried it myself, but I would imagine it would do a pretty good job of at least softening everything.
Old 2010-09-10, 1:27pm
Hat or Cake?

These are all interesting and helpful suggestions. I wipe mine with paper towels several times to get them clean and it's hard on the hands. I'm going to try the brush idea.

I'm wondering about the dishwasher, though. I was told when I started lampworking, not to let the bead release go down the drain because it was basically clay and would eventually block the drain as the 'silt' accumulates. I drain the water through a paper towel and then wipe the bowl/tray clean, so that most of the release residue is captured in the paper towel. I also put a piece of towel over the drain to catch the release.

Am I being too paranoid about this? I realize I've verged off-topic here, so my apologies if people think I've highjacked the thread.
Beth
Old 2010-09-10, 1:33pm

Have you tried denture cleaner tabs? I knew someone that used it with carbonated water. I just use really fine sand paper
Old 2010-09-10, 1:57pm
Mr Brutus RIP

wow, you guys clean them? I soak them with the beads on, twist my bead a tad and then run it up and down the release area and slide off.......throw it in another clean (I use the crystal light containers) container of water and when I'm done I grab the handful, set on towel till I'm ready and then go dip. NOW, if I'm not torching that day I just leave them sitting in the container after I dump the water out.
Am I doing something wrong????
sue

Old 2010-09-10, 3:21pm
Bead Crone

Sue, I do pretty much the same thing. I use Fusion (thinned, two coats) and have no trouble with it breaking while working beads, or with getting the beads off, and it basically just rinses off the mandrels.

If you're doing something wrong, then I guess I am too!
Old 2010-09-10, 4:08pm

well I don't clean mine either. I just hold a bunch of them in my hands and roll them between my hands under running water, dry, redip.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-09-10, 4:32pm
And silence is golden

I'm with Donna on this. I actually drop the mandrels in a jar of water and let them soak. Take them out and dry them off. Absolutely no work involved at all.
Old 2010-09-10, 4:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T. View Post
well I don't clean mine either. I just hold a bunch of them in my hands and roll them between my hands under running water, dry, redip.
Yup me too.

I just hold the bunch together and scrub them against one another underwater until most of the release has come off, wipe dry on a towel and re-dip.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2010-09-11, 12:22am

Ditto on the roll a bunch of them in my hands under water.
Old 2010-09-11, 1:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
wow, you guys clean them? I soak them with the beads on, twist my bead a tad and then run it up and down the release area and slide off.......throw it in another clean (I use the crystal light containers) container of water and when I'm done I grab the handful, set on towel till I'm ready and then go dip. NOW, if I'm not torching that day I just leave them sitting in the container after I dump the water out.
sue
I do less then you do lol. I run water while taking the bead off and then I just wipe the mandrel with my fingers and then dry them. i don't scrub them or anything. The release comes off with my fingers.

Old 2010-09-11, 2:36am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
sue
same - sometimes they're not even totally clean when i dip them again

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-09-11, 8:44am
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
I do less then you do lol. I run water while taking the bead off and then I just wipe the mandrel with my fingers and then dry them. i don't scrub them or anything. The release comes off with my fingers.
Yup, this ^^ . Except I do my bead cleaning in a large pyrex bowl to keep from sending bead release down the drain. Once I loosen the bead, I run the mandrel back and forth through the bead a couple times to scrape off the rest of the release and then run it through my fingers once in the water before setting it aside to dry.

Maybe it's time to look for a different bead release if yours is that much work to clean off the mandrels?

Old 2010-09-11, 3:15pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
same - sometimes they're not even totally clean when i dip them again
Lol!

I alternate ends when I dip, and if the end I'm not dipping (the one that was the business end the previous time) isn't clean, I just finger sand it, or use a dry paper towel to rub off any residue.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-09-11, 4:53pm

I soak in white vinegar if bead release is caked up.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-09-11, 6:28pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T. View Post
That is exactly what i do

Old 2010-09-11, 6:44pm
Bad Cat Glass

Obviously, I've been working way too hard at this. Love some of these ideas, especially the wire brush, which I tried today and was very pleased with how quickly it worked.
Old 2010-09-13, 8:19am
Ellyloo-YAH!

i roll them too.

Old 2010-09-13, 9:06am

Thanks for all of the great - and honest - ideas folks!

Over the years I've done most of them except the dishwasher one - I wish they made "mandrelwashers."

I've been using ABR's bead release. I'd say it is a medium thickness. I can't go much thinner b/c I do boro beads. If I soak a few minutes in water, use my Jim Moore bead release tool (wonderful if you have hand/wrist pain!), then wipe the mandrel with a dry kitchen towel it works pretty good - which is really similar to what a lot of you guys suggested.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Lori
Old 2010-09-13, 9:14am
aka Spawn Of Flame

It never occurred to me to clean them! I just run the bead up and down the mandrel when I'm removing the bead. This knocks the extra release off of the bead and the mandrel at the same time. I then set the mandrel aside to dry.

--
--
--

Old 2010-09-14, 4:52am

I take a large coffee can full of sand and just jab it in and out till the residue comes off, also helps remove rust.

My Etsy:

My Ebay:
Old 2010-09-14, 5:23am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
sue

This is what I do too . . . . I don't ever clean them, just a wipe-off as I'm removing the bead.

Old 2010-09-14, 2:43pm
offically down under

Wait, you all use water???? I hold the mandrel close to the bead with a pair of pliers and then take off the bead using a damp cloth. Then I take the pliers and roll the mandrel through it and break off the bead release. I do this over paper towel and then just toss it in the garbage.

Old 2010-09-14, 3:50pm
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty View Post
Ditto on the roll a bunch of them in my hands under water.
I used to roll them too…only dry over the garbage can. My hands sure got messy with all that graphite!

Now I just toss the mandrel, bead and all, into an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with some warm water and a couple drops of original Dawn dishwashing soap or a tiny sprinkle of powdered dishwasher detergent.

I wish I could say that the beads miraculously slide off the mandrels, but they don't. Where the release is on the mandrel, it just flakes right off during the ultrasonic cycle. Then I can just twist the bead off as usual, run the mandrel in and out of the bead to clean the release out of the bead, wipe the mandrel with a soft rag, and done.

Harbor Freight usually has a coupon special for one of the small ultrasonic jewelry cleaners for about twenty-five bucks.
Old 2010-09-14, 4:50pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemarie23 View Post
It never occurred to me to clean them! I just run the bead up and down the mandrel when I'm removing the bead. This knocks the extra release off of the bead and the mandrel at the same time. I then set the mandrel aside to dry.
That's exactly what i do. I don't think I've ever "cleaned" a mandrel. Not on purpase, anyway.

Old 2010-09-16, 6:36pm
one day at a time

Quote:
sue
Nope, I do it that way too. I get the release off and clean the bead hole some at the same time by sliding it back and forth after I loosen it from the mandrel. Then I put the mandrel back in the water basin to rinse. Any stubborn spots of release left, I just grip that area with my pliers and rotate the mandrel until I scrape it off, rinse again, and that's it.