LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-07, 7:35pm

I have one that has a flat round head (chasing?) and a rawhide one. Hammer and glass said/used together makes me nervous

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-07, 9:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Hi Dave - are instructions included with the tool? Do you have a video tutorial available for this tool?

Hi Squid,

I'm not going to be printing and shipping instructions for this one. But I do plan on making a video tut as soon as things settle down a bit, which they are not doing yet. The tips a couple posts back should be about all you'll ever really need. It's pretty easy to use. You just have to play with it a bit and you'll see it's pretty straight-forward. Much easier and more consistent than hand-dapping. The fact that the screw turns by a set amount per turn takes most all the guess-work out of it. Once you get it, you've got it.

I recommend a planishing hammer, some have called it a chasing hammer, but anyway, it is very small, about a 1-inch face, maybe 2 oz. weight, and has a ball-peen end. Rio has them. I'm guessing they are about $14.00 maybe. Andrew's post on dapping shows a picture of the exact tool. It's made for silver and gold work. Very nice tool. A small rawhide mallet is really nice to have as well. You can wop it pretty good with little fear of breakage, and the nice thing is it is much less inclined to make a dent or flat on a domed rivet, but will tighten the rivet down flat nicely. I think both are certainly good to have for this work. There is a role for both types, definitely.

As for support, I encourage you guys to help out with what you find works for you, but also, you can feel free to email me directly, and even call me at home if need be. No problem with that. I'll email my number if you need a one-on-one. After some more are out there, I'll be glad host a live chat a couple times a week for awhile if there is any interest. Bring your own Merlot and cheese or whatever.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 2008-08-07, 9:25pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Thanks Dave - I didn't realize we would be hammering as part of it, but sounds simple enough . Thanks for the info.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-07, 9:27pm

Just an update on the new order page on the Pappa Shop AITR site. I have already had several orders come in and so far no problems, so use it with confidence. ****BUT**** please note that I just saw an announcement on PayPal that they will be down tonight from 11 PM PST till 1 AM PST, so if you can't order during that time it's not my site at fault. Hey, you guys ought to be in bed anyway. Me too. Good night all!

Old 2008-08-07, 9:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Thanks Dave - I didn't realize we would be hammering as part of it, but sounds simple enough . Thanks for the info.
Hi Squid,

There is almost no hammering needed. It is just at the very end to tighten the edge of the rivet so it is really hugging the bead. Normally you won't be doing any shaping or flaring or anything like that with the hammer. It's just a few light tap-tap-taps around the 99.9% finished rivet to lock it against the bead real tight. You'll see.

For beads that are not even, like maybe a high or low spot, the tool can't make the silver lay into the valley, since it must stop at the highest spot so that's one place the little rawhide mallet really shines. Look for one that has about a 3/4 to 1 inch diameter head maybe 1 1/2 to two inches long. You'll love it. I prefer that over plastic, but it's partly sentiment I guess. Mine is was passed down to me by my late father.

The nice thing about rawhide is it begins to shape itself over time, kind of mushrooming out and rounding at the edges and stuff, making shapes that fit right into little depressions, etc. with just the right mix of hardness and softness. So rather than wearing out, the face improves with time. Wish my face could learn that trick. Well, maybe I'd skip the mushrooming out part. It's already started working on that.

Dave

Old 2008-08-07, 10:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim V View Post
I got mine yesterday! Thank goodness for once I thought ahead and had a little stockpile of beads so I could play with it when it came!! This tool is great! I love the size....it allows me flexibility as to where I use it. A big plus for me is that I can hold it up so I can see how I'm progressing!

Here's what I did. Mostly 1/4 inch copper with a couple of 3/16 inch sterling. I didn't polish them before I antiqued them on purpose. I can see where I need to work on some things....particularly hammering the edges. There's just something about using a hammer on a bead

Thank you Dave for developing this!! I'm going to be bringing mine up to a friend's house (she works with sea glass and stones) for her to try out. I'll be watching for your other new tools.

Kim V
PS-I love the new name!!

Hi Kim,Those look great! Glad the 4.3 mm peg works for 3/16. I figured it would, but it's good to know it does.

Here's a tip about those edges, altough those look fine... Think about this: The top outer edge of your finished rivet is actually the INSIDE edge of your tubing. That is, the part where you debur the tube on the inside edge before you flare it. So, making a nice clean carved edge on that part after you cut the tube, and before you flare it, has a large impact on how that edge will look on the finished bead. That's why I'm going to be selling a tool that makes that part of the job real easy to do.

If your edge is more square, it will have that same squareish corner on it when finished. You can pound it down and round it a bit, or a lot, right down to a knife edge, though it's a hassle and a bit daunting till you realize you really can hit it pretty hard once you get good at it.

If it is already cut at an angle before you flare, then it will slope off nicely with little or no pounding. I'll try real hard to have that tool on the site tomorrow or Saturday.

Thanks again for posting your work, and for your kind words. I really appreciate that!

Take care,
Dave

Old 2008-08-07, 10:27pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Hi Dave, Is the next wave almost ready to mail??? I am feeling pitiful and left out!!!
Just giving you a little grief..waitiing almost patiently...and can't wait to order the next new gadget tomorrow!!
Pat
Old 2008-08-07, 11:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittypat View Post
Hi Dave, Is the next wave almost ready to mail??? I am feeling pitiful and left out!!!
Just giving you a little grief..waitiing almost patiently...and can't wait to order the next new gadget tomorrow!!
Pat
LOL. Some more will ship Saturday or Monday, but you just missed being in that batch. Yours should go out next week. Sorry! Now you should be in bed pittypatty! Me too. It's after 1 AM here. But I'm putting the link on AITR to the new order page. Almost done, then nighty-night!

I'm workin on it!

Dave

Old 2008-08-07, 11:18pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

That actually works out perfectly because I can add the new thingie to my order!!haha
Thanks, Dave, for all your hard work...I took a four hour nap this evening, so I think I am up for a while...just put brownies in the oven!!!
pat
Old 2008-08-08, 2:25am

Hi

I'm in the UK and the size of tubing that is readily available here is 6mm od/5mm id and 7mm od/6mm id. Does anyone know if these would be suitable for the current size pegs please?
Old 2008-08-08, 11:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel_D View Post
Hi

I'm in the UK and the size of tubing that is readily available here is 6mm od/5mm id and 7mm od/6mm id. Does anyone know if these would be suitable for the current size pegs please?
Hi Rachel,

The 1/4 inch post is just a little big for 5mm tubing and a little small for 6 mm. I'll need to make a special peg for those sizes, but it's not a problem. I'll try to have the pegs for both 5 and 6 mm ID tubing on the web page today for ordering. Check the site later today. (8-8-0

Thanks,
Dave

Old 2008-08-08, 12:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
Hi Squid,

There is almost no hammering needed. It is just at the very end to tighten the edge of the rivet so it is really hugging the bead. Normally you won't be doing any shaping or flaring or anything like that with the hammer. It's just a few light tap-tap-taps around the 99.9% finished rivet to lock it against the bead real tight. You'll see.

For beads that are not even, like maybe a high or low spot, the tool can't make the silver lay into the valley, since it must stop at the highest spot so that's one place the little rawhide mallet really shines. Look for one that has about a 3/4 to 1 inch diameter head maybe 1 1/2 to two inches long. You'll love it. I prefer that over plastic, but it's partly sentiment I guess. Mine is was passed down to me by my late father.

The nice thing about rawhide is it begins to shape itself over time, kind of mushrooming out and rounding at the edges and stuff, making shapes that fit right into little depressions, etc. with just the right mix of hardness and softness. So rather than wearing out, the face improves with time. Wish my face could learn that trick. Well, maybe I'd skip the mushrooming out part. It's already started working on that.

Dave
Ah excellent! I am very excited and can't wait to get mine! I think the practice tubing you are including is genius!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-08, 2:10pm
Peerless Thread Killer

Very exciting! I might even be able to afford this liner! Yay!

Old 2008-08-08, 3:36pm

Quote:
Hi Rachel,

The 1/4 inch post is just a little big for 5mm tubing and a little small for 6 mm. I'll need to make a special peg for those sizes, but it's not a problem. I'll try to have the pegs for both 5 and 6 mm ID tubing on the web page today for ordering. Check the site later today. (8-8-0

Thanks,
Dave
Thanks Dave - you're a star!! You're gonna hate me now though - would it be possible for you to do a 4mm peg too - pleeeaaase!!

I've actually already ordered the bead liner and the extra 4.37mm peg this morning - could these pegs be added to my order and I'll paypal you the extra through?

Thanks - Rachel
Old 2008-08-08, 6:36pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Ok, Dave, where are you???? and where is that new "thingie" to order???huh?huh? haha
I guess you are up to your whatsits in tools...we all lub you...pat
Old 2008-08-11, 5:59am
Yorkies Rule

Hey everyone...anyone been playing with the new tool...would love to see more .pictures and reviews of people who bought it...the price seems pretty good
Old 2008-08-11, 10:21pm
Renee Weaver

I don't have any pictures, but I have to tell you that I LOVE this tool. It took a little bit of practice and I cracked a few beads, but after 10-15 beads I got the hang of it. I've been doing the rivet thing the old fashioned way and this tool is so much faster, my rivets look better....Thanks Dave!

Old 2008-08-12, 4:10pm

Hi Dave
I can tell from all these posts that you are sooooo busy, but I want to check here anyway. I sent you an email a few days ago....I hope I didn't miss your reply. I'm so anxious to get your bead liner. Any idea how much time you're expecting before your next shipment? Hopefully I got in on the next one.
Is it better to send a PM?

Pandora, Biagi, Troll, and more, bead sets, and focals.

Old 2008-08-12, 4:38pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Ok, Dave, it has been five days since you posted...you need to come up for air!!!
We can all wait an extra day or two for you to get a break...
pat
Old 2008-08-12, 4:50pm
Sorry for party rockin'

I think Dave is slammed right now, I paid for mine about 3 weeks ago.

Maybe he'll eventually get to come out of his studio!!

Old 2008-08-12, 6:15pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Hey Ginny, I paid about the same time...I am just worried about his health!! You have to take a break sometime...and he was working on something else at the same time.

pat
Old 2008-08-13, 12:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittypat View Post
Hey Ginny, I paid about the same time...I am just worried about his health!! You have to take a break sometime...and he was working on something else at the same time.

pat
Hi Pat,

I'm fine. Thanks though. I just typed up a big long post, and then the browser window just closed, and I lost it. Long story short: Those of you who ordered prior to August 1 are in the batch that is shipping this week, barring any more misfortunes. (I've had several lately, but they are fixed, knock on wood.)

There is a lot going on here in addition to the presses, and it's just me, and 4 cats, no employees. I want to thank everyone for their continued patience, and promise you I won't let anyone down. And don't worry I'm handling it OK so far anyway. I should be caught up soon. Sales are leveling off a bit now.

Oh yes, Please everyone forgive me if I really prioritize about which emails I answer immediately and which are on hold. I spent three hours today just answering emails. That is the shortest day at that activity I've had since this whole thing started. So please understand, I have to prioritize as much for your sakes as my own, or I won't ever be able to make these things.

So here's a start at heading some of these worries off:
I promise I will email everyone when their tool ships so you don't need to worry about it being lost, etc... If you got a PayPal confirmation of your order, then so did I... If you have a separate order for pegs, I will look for it before I pack your tool. If I make a mistake on that score, I won't charge you for the extra shipping to send the peg separately...

Again, If your tool was ordered prior to August 1, it will ship this week. I'm estimating ten days to two weeks lead time for orders placed today. Part of that is because I can't control how long it takes me to get the base tools in, so it could be less. Many heartfelt thanks to each and every one of you for being so very patient, without exception. I really really appreciate that immensely.

Take care,
Dave

Thanks,
Dave

Old 2008-08-13, 2:28pm

Default pegs

I did not know we had to order pegs seperately. I did send an order July 23 via paypal. Do I need to order the pegs now? They do not come with the tool?

Thanks.

Glimr2
Old 2008-08-13, 2:58pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Hi Glimr . . . . from what I understand the tool comes with pegs for 1/4" tubing. If you use another size you have to get other pegs

Old 2008-08-13, 5:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimr2 View Post
I did not know we had to order pegs seperately. I did send an order July 23 via paypal. Do I need to order the pegs now? They do not come with the tool?

Thanks.

Glimr2
Ginny's right. You get a peg for 1/4 OD, .218 inch ID tubing installed on the tool when it ships. There is also a Peg for .437 mm ID tubing (I think it is about 5 mm OD) available as a separate purchase for $6.00. 1/4 inch tubing works for all three Troll, Biagi, and Pandora, but some folks like the 5 mm tubing because the hole is smaller, just barely fits over the Pandora clasp.

All that is explained above too...

Thanks,
Dave

Old 2008-08-14, 3:43pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Quote:
There is also a Peg for .437 mm ID tubing (I think it is about 5 mm OD)
I think Dave meant 4.37mm not .437mm

-Yee

Old 2008-08-16, 12:22pm

So, do you think it means apx 10 days to 2 wks from when we ordered? Mine was ordered on 8-5. Maybe sometime next week. gayle
Old 2008-08-17, 6:24am
Sorry for party rockin'

Gayle, it might be longer than that, I'm not sure . . . I ordered mine on July 21st and he probably has lots more orders that were placed in late July.

Old 2008-08-20, 3:17am

Anybody playing yet with there new tool? gayle
Old 2008-08-20, 11:37am

Default I second that question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle janczarek View Post
Anybody playing yet with there new tool? gayle
yes, inquiring minds (thinking about getting this someday) want to know! Carol