Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-28, 10:44am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

get a mini tube cutter at your local hardware store - the kind with the little wheels opposite the cutting wheel. Works like a charm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-28, 12:44pm
Fusing Glass

ooh mine shipped! cant wait.
Old 2008-08-28, 6:17pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I got mine today!!! I used the tubing and nuts he included to do two test "beads" and they went pretty well, so I graduated to sterling and promptly ruined 4 or 5 out of my first 8. I seem to have worked it out better now. I've cored about 20 beads and what worked well for me was to make my very first turn on each end a full turn and then after that, no more than 1/3 of a turn at a time. Turn 1/3, flip, turn 1/3, flip, etc. When you get close to touching the bead with the silver, check your bead to see how even the silver is - if one side is flatter than the other, but the flatter side to the top so the bottom will flatten a little more.

I had some trouble initially with it not flaring evenly, so I carefully re-aligned my pin with the flare point and after that, it was easy peasy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-28, 6:36pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Also got mine today. Had a teensy problem. Sent you (Dave) an email.

Cheers!

-Yee

Old 2008-08-29, 8:01am

Hi,

There are instructions on the new Impress site now.
Sorry for not having them up sooner. There was a problem on the site, and I couldn't paste them into their editor. They fixed that, so now they are there.

Go to www.artintheround.com
and follow the link to the Impress site. Click articles on the left hand menu. It is easy to use, but you do need to do it right, or, well, you'll do it wrong! So follow these instructions, and things should go well for you right from the start!

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by DaveF; 2008-08-29 at 8:06am.
Old 2008-08-29, 8:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
Also got mine today. Had a teensy problem. Sent you (Dave) an email.

Cheers!

-Yee
Yee, I emailed you. Actually, you don't have a problem. What you called a little screw is actually your "missing peg." It screws into the anvil post. Please read the instructions mentioned above before changing your peg so you don't get it out of alignment, like Squid probably did. I expect she changed hers by removing the anvil post from the bottom. Don't do that. It should be changed from the top, by unscrewing the cone. Complete instructions are on the site.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 2008-08-29, 8:55am
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

This tool has LITERALLY cut my lining time by 90%. SO fast and much less noise (bang bang bang of the hammer).

Dave, I know you are playing catch up now on back orders, but is there any plan down the road for much larger sized bead holes? Like .5 or .75" sizes (approx)? I like to make really large hole beads and would love a way to line them as well without the hammer and bang method.
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2008-08-29, 2:11pm

Hi Dave, I sent you an email several days ago. I know you're cranking as hard as you can, I just would like to know about the new size peg I wondered if you could make, so I can go ahead and order the tubing. It's item M in the Rio catalog, with ID of 2.1mm and OD of 2.9mm. If I can get the 1/4" and 3/16" already ordered I'll be happy to wait for this oddball size til you get caught up with everybody else.

Thanks!
Beverly
Old 2008-08-29, 2:43pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
Yee, I emailed you. Actually, you don't have a problem. What you called a little screw is actually your "missing peg." It screws into the anvil post. Please read the instructions mentioned above before changing your peg so you don't get it out of alignment, like Squid probably did. I expect she changed hers by removing the anvil post from the bottom. Don't do that. It should be changed from the top, by unscrewing the cone. Complete instructions are on the site.

Thanks,
Dave
Yep, that is what I did - I didn't know about instructions at the time. Can you give me some guidance on making sure I aligned it properly? Thanks!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-29, 3:18pm
I speak Murrini!

Dave~~

Your link in Post #155 above isn't working...I went to the right location, and to make it easier to find, I'm posting the link here - hope that's all right!

Just don't stop working (giggle!)...

~De

Link to Dave's Instructions on Removing/Installing Centering Pegs:

http://host.pappapak17.com/~artinthe...Installing.htm

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-08-29, 3:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Hi,

There are instructions on the new Impress site now.
Sorry for not having them up sooner. There was a problem on the site, and I couldn't paste them into their editor. They fixed that, so now they are there.

Go to www.artintheround.com
and follow the link to the Impress site. Click articles on the left hand menu. It is easy to use, but you do need to do it right, or, well, you'll do it wrong! So follow these instructions, and things should go well for you right from the start!

Thanks,
Dave
Your link isn't working, but I think this is the correct link to get to the articles.

http://host.pappapak17.com/~artinthe/articles.htm

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-29, 3:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

LOL - sorry - I just saw that Deanne posted it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-29, 3:59pm
I speak Murrini!

Great minds, thinking alike - AGAIN!!! (Giggle!)

Oooo, you lucky girl!!! I want one of these!!!! Are you going to show us what you did? I'd love to see

~De

Old 2008-08-29, 4:19pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Great minds, thinking alike - AGAIN!!! (Giggle!)

Oooo, you lucky girl!!! I want one of these!!!! Are you going to show us what you did? I'd love to see

~De

I will try and get some pics tomorrow. It really is a breeze to use.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-29, 9:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_gardener View Post
Hi Dave, I sent you an email several days ago. I know you're cranking as hard as you can, I just would like to know about the new size peg I wondered if you could make, so I can go ahead and order the tubing. It's item M in the Rio catalog, with ID of 2.1mm and OD of 2.9mm. If I can get the 1/4" and 3/16" already ordered I'll be happy to wait for this oddball size til you get caught up with everybody else.

Thanks!
Beverly
This is for Gwacie too...

Larger and smaller sizes are coming as soon as I get caught up. They will be an add-on, and require their own anvil posts as well as pegs. That is down the road but not far away. I will have to make and test them of course before I can guarantee that will be an option, but I see no problem with that. The tool can handle up to 5/8 inch rigid copper pipe. However tiny tubes like 2 mm ID will take a little head scratching and some R&D. But I'll work on it, promise. No way that size will work with this anvil as it is though. That is smaller than the hole the peg screws into!

Hey folks, I made 36 bases today! Yay!

Thanks to everyone for the help with the links and all. Of course I don't mind! All help is most appreciated! Hey, by the way, there is other info there as well, in the Impress instructions, about cutting tubing, choosing a cutter, using digital calipers, and other stuff.

It's late, Iv'e been going since 7:30 AM today! Gotta wind down a bit and get some R&R.

G'nite all,
Dave

Last edited by DaveF; 2008-08-29 at 9:54pm.
Old 2008-08-30, 9:20am

Dave, when you get a chance if you could let us know what day you are at. Waiting very patiently! 36 bases is alot for one day. gayle
Old 2008-08-30, 11:10am
Certified Glassaholic!

Default Sample beads

Here are a couple of very quick samples. Each one took me about 1min to core. I haven't really played around too much to test out the domed lip vs. the flat lip. I've been more interested in whether I can get good, consistent rivets and so far this press rocks!

I even changed out the pegs following Dave's instructions and had no problems. This tool is rapidly becoming my favorite (and I've only had it for a day!).

Please ignore the not so great beads. These were from my leftover box. Also please disregard the not so great pic. Snapped in 2 secs without a proper setup.

Thanks Dave!!!!!

-Yee

Old 2008-08-30, 11:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle janczarek View Post
Dave, when you get a chance if you could let us know what day you are at. gayle
Just what I was going to ask Gayle! I'm so hoping that Dave's up to the 8th!

Yee - wow the beads look fab. The cores look so neat - and they really only took a minute or so? I can't wait to get mine now! Did you have to anneal the silver first?
Old 2008-08-30, 11:23am
Certified Glassaholic!

Nope. All I did was file the ends to make sure they were smooth. Kinda smoothed out the inside edges as well with a small rounded file. That was it. No annealing required. This tool is so SWEET!

Old 2008-08-30, 11:47am
Sorry for party rockin'

Yee, those beads are DARLING!!!

Old 2008-08-30, 2:51pm
I speak Murrini!

Yeepie!!!

Yippee (ha! Sorry, couldn't help myself...) You're beads look really GREAT!!! Can I ask what size mandrel and tube you used? It's so hard to tell from photos...I can SO picture these on a cute little silver ball chain!

You go, Dave! Your poor fingers

~De

Old 2008-08-30, 2:55pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Hey De,

I used a 3/16" mandrel and the tubing from the recent bulk buy hosted by Ginko (Debbi H.)

Worked like a charm.

Old 2008-08-30, 3:21pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks, Yee! Not sure what the diam. of the BB tube was (though I can do a search...) I have some 5mm OD tube that's just dying to play "coring"....You're totally inspiring me! My 5/32" mandrels, with a nice thick double-dip fit this tube perfectly!!!

I love hearing all the great things about this press...I know there's one in the LE auction - tomorrow is the BIG DAY! I'd totally have a heart attack (the "good" kind, if there is such a thing!) if I WON! Don't want to jinx it, though...

~De

Old 2008-08-30, 3:25pm
Certified Glassaholic!

The inner diameter of the tube from the bulk buy is 4.37mm. Dave makes a peg that is custom for the tubing.

Old 2008-08-31, 7:52am

Quote:
This is for Gwacie too...

Larger and smaller sizes are coming as soon as I get caught up. They will be an add-on, and require their own anvil posts as well as pegs. That is down the road but not far away. I will have to make and test them of course before I can guarantee that will be an option, but I see no problem with that. The tool can handle up to 5/8 inch rigid copper pipe. However tiny tubes like 2 mm ID will take a little head scratching and some R&D. But I'll work on it, promise. No way that size will work with this anvil as it is though. That is smaller than the hole the peg screws into!

Hey folks, I made 36 bases today! Yay!

Thanks to everyone for the help with the links and all. Of course I don't mind! All help is most appreciated! Hey, by the way, there is other info there as well, in the Impress instructions, about cutting tubing, choosing a cutter, using digital calipers, and other stuff.

It's late, Iv'e been going since 7:30 AM today! Gotta wind down a bit and get some R&R.

G'nite all,
Dave
Thanks for the info, Dave. I'm patient, I can wait! But if I'm following this thread correctly, I'M GETTING MY IMPRESS REALLY SOON! Woo hooooo!

Beverly
Old 2008-09-02, 10:07am

Dave - could you let us know when you'll be shipping some more bases out please? I'm hoping mine will be in your next lot (ordered 8th August).

Also could you confirm that my order for extra pegs will go out with the base please. I've emailed a couple of times but I didn't get an answer. Sorry - don't want to hassle you but as I'm in the UK I want to make sure that everything gets shipped out together.

Thanks

Old 2008-09-02, 11:47am
are we there yet?

Dave, I sent you an email last week stating that I want to order a bead liner when you get caught up. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well make beads. jazz
Old 2008-09-02, 7:31pm

Ditto,
Dave I sent you two e-mail but haven't heard a word back. I ordered the drill bit for cleaning beads as well as the bead lining tool a month ago. Still don't have either one. Please advise when you will ship or if it's going to be longer, please advise on that as well.

Red/Phyllis

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2008-09-03, 1:02pm

Hi

I've just had word back from Dave - he should be updating on here later but for now I can relay what he has told me.

"I am into a batch of 45 presses and trying hard to have them ready to ship by Friday"

hope mines in there

Old 2008-09-04, 3:19am

Dave, please let us know what day you are on. My order was placed and payed for 8-5Would just like to know about when to expect. gayle