Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2009-02-15, 11:31pm

I like the tiny idea. That can be a real skill stretcher. But the hamburger one sounds like a lot of fun, too.

My 2cents.

-Ona-
Old 2009-02-19, 8:06pm
Broken

I like the tiny bead idea, tiny beads get no credit man!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-20, 11:20am

Default small beads

Quote:
I like the tiny bead idea, tiny beads get no credit man!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I totally agree and the next bead contest will be a "Small Bead" contest. Now I need to decide what is small?

I would love to kick off this contest in March and let it run one or two months.

Mike frantz

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2009-02-20, 1:33pm
I like to melt things

I like the little bead idea too. I tend to make giant ones but need to force myself to scale down a little.

I have another idea that will help us help you, and help us help ourselves

You could list the 25 glass colours that you sell the least of (presumably because no one likes them) and task us all with making beads that include only those colours. It could revive interest in 'forgotten colours' and help to spark some creativity in people who are in a slump, or who rarely go outside their own comfort zone. You could even offer a special discount on those colours, which otherwise, people would pass over.

Just a thought
(inspired by the fun I had with the Fugly Colour Bead Exchange in the Patio)

-
-
Old 2009-02-20, 1:58pm

Ummm Mike??? NOt complaining but I think your shipping guys accidently dropped a bag of candy in my order
More than usual ty and I love the rootbeer!

Old 2009-02-20, 5:19pm

Default No Mistakes

Quote:
Ummm Mike??? NOt complaining but I think your shipping guys accidently dropped a bag of candy in my order
Not a mistake, it was Valentine's Day extra scoop of Candy

mikey

The Torch Website:

Old 2009-02-20, 5:36pm
Bracelet Ho

Quote:

Hmm, ya know in all the years I have bought from Frantz I have never received candy in my orders. I have brought them candy & chocolates, but nope never got any candy.
Old 2009-02-21, 7:39pm
giggety-giggety

Can you enter more than one bead? I think the winner should win a trip to France! Yes in dee dee! Whoop de do!!!!

My etsy:

Old 2009-02-22, 5:40pm

Quote:
Can you enter more than one bead? I think the winner should win a trip to France! Yes in dee dee! Whoop de do!!!!
Yes, I do not think so, no in dee dee!

We accept more than one bead, keeping in mind that all entries become the property of Frantz Art Glass. The more times you enter the better chance you have to win, but for "Best of Best" if you are that good, one bead is all you need!

So small beads it will be. What shapes and what is the maximum size of bead for a bicone? A round? Must they weigh under a certain number of grams? I will have to set some guidelines and rules and quickly.

If anyone would like to suggest size limitations, please do it now, or I will do it without all of your help.

Should there be a round and bicone catagory?
Should we have it seperated in the skills of the beadmaker?

If you think your beads are great and are good enough to be accepted in a book a bead show a gallery, and you have sold your beads, then perhaps you are a great or maybe we should call it "Very Good Beadmakers". I think those in this catagory make beads that might always me changing, morphing, getting better all the time, but when you are this good, the advances come slow and they are not on skills but more on design and color changes.

If you are not the greatest, but far from a beginner and your beads are getting better and better all the time then perhaps the "Good Old Beadmaker" would be what you will classify yourself.

And then there is the beginner. The beginner may be just new to beadmaking or it could be a beadmaker who would not have a chance against the Very Good or Good Old Beadmakers. We could call this classification as the "Not a Very Good Beadmaker"! zThat does sound too negative, perhaps "Beadmaker Wantabe", or just "Beginner", you let me know what you think, this competition is all about you, not me, and I need to know what YOU are thinking.

I think there should be three classifications and that within each classification there should be a 1st 2nd and 3rd place winner.
I think the prizes for the "Very Good Beadmakers" would be better than the "Good Old Beadmakers" and the "Good Old Beadmaker" prize would be better than the "No a Very Good Beadmaker". Or is intermediate more appropriate?

This is starting to become fun already.

Between the Las Vegas Glass Expo, Bead & Button, Murano Tours, between now and June will be very busy for us. I want this to be the very best competition (not contest) we will ever have (until the next best one). I want to take it slowly and get our website set up so that as soon as entries arrive we can take pictures and post all beads along with competitors name, website or any other information they would like to have posted there for all to see.

I think I can have this contest up and running by April 1st and it will run all of April, May, June and pick a winner in July. That would give everyone 90 days to make a SMALL BEAD!

Wow, just came up with another idea! What do you think about this?

I am sorry, but I got to keep this one a secret, but it will be included in the information about this competition. And you will love it and it will not cost you much money! Got ya wondering now?

Please send all your ideas to me directly at
and please make the SUBJECT MATTER AS: Bead Competition Ideas.

Your going to rock and roll our way to bead competition history!

Mike frantz

The Torch Website:

Old 2009-02-22, 6:37pm

Default A Messy Competition?

What about having a Messy (CIM) color Competition? What about a competition with just Effetre? You would have to make an entire small bead with just Messy Color or just Effetre.

In the meantime, by all means, start making small beads!

Details to Follow

MIKE

The Torch Website:

Old 2009-02-22, 7:14pm

Default Other Thoughts

What about just making the beads from any glass you want?

Would you be willing to draw a rough large picture of your bead and write down the manufacturer, stock number and color used?

What do you think about this for the largest a bead can be?

bicone can be no longer that 3/4 inch and no more than 1/4 in thickness.

round beads, from hole to hole no more than 5mm and diameter, or height of bead no more than 10mm.

Flat square bead 15mm by 15mm.

Any thoughts?

mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2009-02-22, 7:21pm

I like it, but what would the maximum dimensions be for sculptural?

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-02-22, 8:01pm
Broken

I think it'd be nice to not limit what brand of glass we can use, that'll leave the playing field open for more creativity!

Old 2009-02-22, 8:13pm
Glass n00b

Why not call the beginner category.... n00b-beads? (newbies? No?)

Well, at least I crack me up.....
Old 2009-02-22, 8:51pm

Default boro too

Quote:
I think it'd be nice to not limit what brand of glass we can use, that'll leave the playing field open for more creativity!
So are you thinking that we should include all glass including boro, bullseye?

mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2009-02-22, 8:54pm
Broken

Yeah! Why not you may get some really cool beads and spark some new ideas.

Old 2009-02-22, 9:49pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Ohhhhh......visions of things dancing in my head.....and voices....I think I am now hearing voices.....and then there is the orchestra playing for the dancer beadies......it's just getting WAY to crowded!

Old 2009-02-22, 10:22pm
I speak Murrini!

Friggin' awesome!!!

You all know that my husband's nick-named me "The 'OTHER' Miniature Killer", right? (A reference to the periodic character of many episodes of CSI LV). Of course, I've not been very flattered by this quaint-yet-unbecoming dig at my adoration of all things itty-bitty, including beads...until maybe now!!!

Woo hoo...I can't wait to bring it!!!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-02-24, 12:47pm
Lover of Life

Quote:
And then there is the beginner. The beginner may be just new to beadmaking or it could be a beadmaker who would not have a chance against the Very Good or Good Old Beadmakers. We could call this classification as the "Not a Very Good Beadmaker"! zThat does sound too negative, perhaps "Beadmaker Wantabe", or just "Beginner", you let me know what you think, this competition is all about you, not me, and I need to know what YOU are thinking.
Mike frantz
Well, on this point, I think a positive way to describe a "Not a Very Good Beadmaker" would be "Budding Beadmaker". I do like alliteration. That led me to the thought that the next one up could be a "Blossoming Beadmaker", and the Best of the Best, of course, the "Blooming Beadmaker" (my English grandmother would have considered me quite rude for that!). Too bad it wasn't a floral contest (well not really, cus my florals suck). I can't wait, sounds like fun!

Becky

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2009-02-25, 10:41am

Default And the Bead Competition Goes On

I will be working for the next few weeks to make this a great competition,

I do need to say that having a classification of "Not A Very Good Beadmaker" was only a joke (that would be where my beads belong) and a bad one.

I would love to bring all of the entries to the Bead & Button show in June.

I still ask you for your input, your ideas that we might incorporate into this competition.

Thanks

Mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2009-02-25, 1:38pm
Virginia.

Hey Mike, what category am I in???

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2009-02-25, 3:49pm

Default who am I?

Quote:
Hey Mike, what category am I in???
That is one of the biggest questions. I am not sure how we will determine that. Any thoughts?

mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2009-02-25, 3:57pm

Quote:
That is one of the biggest questions. I am not sure how we will determine that. Any thoughts?

mike
What about when we come in we decide if you are advanced, beginner or intermediate? If an advanced decides to be in the beginner, that would not be fair.

Perhaps if the advanced group has a bigger better prize and the intermediate less and even the beginner less prizes?

That is why we are not starting this competition for over a month, need to figure out the details.

mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2009-02-25, 4:12pm
Virginia.

a
I wanted a huge compliment and all I got was good sense!! LOL - I think this determination is going to be really hard. I have only been doing this for 5 years, but I have some major "left brain" skills, so I can do some things that others cannot. BUT I think the determination, seriously could be very hard. I would just do it an open completition and let the beads speak for themselves. Otherwise, you really could get into some haggles about peoples oppinions on who is a beginner and intermediate and advanced. I am just not sure how you are gonna do that one!!! You put someone in begginners that has been doing this for a long time, you could really have some hurt feelings. I don't do small, so it will be quite the challenge for me - HUGE I can do, small, I would consider myself a beginner - arggg!!!??? glad it is you that has to decide - V

If you have a chance, choose to dance!! If you are sick - stay home - you too can personally start a Pandemic!!! - Virginia

Old 2009-02-25, 10:04pm

Default my thoughts as well

Quote:
a
I wanted a huge compliment and all I got was good sense!! LOL - I think this determination is going to be really hard. I have only been doing this for 5 years, but I have some major "left brain" skills, so I can do some things that others cannot. BUT I think the determination, seriously could be very hard. I would just do it an open completition and let the beads speak for themselves. Otherwise, you really could get into some haggles about peoples oppinions on who is a beginner and intermediate and advanced. I am just not sure how you are gonna do that one!!! You put someone in begginners that has been doing this for a long time, you could really have some hurt feelings. I don't do small, so it will be quite the challenge for me - HUGE I can do, small, I would consider myself a beginner - arggg!!!??? glad it is you that has to decide - V
Yes, I have thought of that myself and it is a problem. But on the other hand if there is a first place and a 10th place and the prizes are better on the top than number 10, what will a beginning beadmaker think? There would be no way they could win. Or we could just pick 10 winners, the best ten, and all the prizes are the same?

Your thoughts.

mike

The Torch Website:

Old 2009-02-26, 11:53am
Virginia.

I totally agree that there should be a different category for the newbies. I think for the intermediate and advanced lampworkers, I think how much heart they put into their bead, should determine the winner. But the newbies, and maybe get a cross seciton of people that agree what should determine a newbie, should have a opportunity to compete with each other. Then, the one that puts their heart into the entry could win a prise. I promise, despite how hard it is for me to make something small, I won't enter as a newbie!!! - What do you think of this idea - Virginia (I also think that if the person that is a newbie just blew out the competition, they should be able to win one of the "advanced and intermediate" prises.) - just another thought - V