No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-12, 10:33am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Default I bought a bottle of Etch-all

I just bought a new bottle of the Etch-All Dip-N-Etch from Ben Franklin's.

Is a new bottle of Dip-N-Etch supposed to be dark brown/almost black and kinda chunky inside, on the bottom? Or is it bad and I have to figure out where I put the receipt to return it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

#M-191
Old 2012-03-12, 11:20am
Just Plain

I use Etch Bath and it's dark brown. Maybe yours was sitting on the shelf and settled. Try shaking it (make sure the top is secure!) and then try it out on a wonky bead to see if it works. I have a large container of it, but transfer some into a smaller plastic jar for ease of use, one with a large mouth that a plastic spoon will fit into. It's easier to fish the beads out that way.

Old 2012-03-12, 11:35am
honorary bead lady

From... http://www.etchallstore.com/etch_beads.htm

etchallŽ dip 'n etch must be stored in the 70°-90° Fahrenheit temperature range and only in its original container. If the temperature drops below 70°, crystals may form in your etchallŽ dip 'n etch. If this happens, place the closed container in a warm water bath for several minutes. Remove the container from the water, then use a plastic utensil to stir the dip until the crystals dissolve. The crystals do not affect the usability of the product. Temperatures above 90° may cause discoloration of the dip 'n etch, but this discoloration does not alter the effectiveness of the product.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:48am
Lover of all things color

That's all great to know David, thanks.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-03-12, 12:48pm

The crystals are ammonium fluoride. Other good considerations are (1) don't store it near food or glassware and (2) keep the bottle in a Ziplock freezer bag. The container will outgas after you open it and you'll find that any glassware in the cabinet will be frosted. Fluorine compounds are toxic as well so you don't want this stuff around your food. Don't etch in the kitchen.

Robert
Old 2012-03-12, 12:50pm
Naysayer

I have some that has chunks, I put the bottle into warm water before using because the crystals ate chunks out of my beads. But for mine it takes awhile, I have to soak the bottle in warm water, shake, soak some more, still doesn't get it all really.

First bottle I've had with the crystal chunks, it's pretty annoying lol. The woman I ordered from said it was an older bottle for whatever it's worth.
Old 2012-03-12, 1:17pm

Considering where I live, I highly doubt that bottle has ever been in temperatures colder than 70. LOL

But, even if it has, I read the instructions and I did soak the bottle in warm water before using it. I still had chunks. They don't feel like "crystals", and they look more like flakes. Is that the same thing?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-03-12, 2:43pm
Salt Box Beads

I have to stir mine slowly like organic nut
butter. About 10 minutes until it is all finally mixed well. Then it works great and I etch my beads 104 coe for only about 1 minute, two at the most for a soft velvety finish.

Mine is brown liquid on top and putty sludge in the bottom, grey brown cream consistancy when mixed well, and it is stored in the garage where we get 20 degrees in the winter and 120 in the summer. Still works great for me.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-03-12 at 4:42pm.
Old 2012-03-12, 3:03pm

Thanks Lorraine. That description sounds just like mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
I have to stir mine slowly like organic nut nutter. About 10 minutes until it is all finally mixed well. Then it works great and I etch my beads 104 coe for only about 1 minute, two at the most for a soft velvety finish.

Mine is brown liquid on top and putty sludge in the bottom, grey brown cream consistancy when mixed well, and it is stored in the garage where we get 20 degrees in the winter and 120 in the summer. Still works great for me.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-03-12, 4:15pm
giggety-giggety

I've found chunks on the bottom of my bottle but it's because I've forgotten to take my beads out (they were nearly disintegrated)

My etsy:

Old 2012-03-12, 4:24pm

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmegirl View Post
I've found chunks on the bottom of my bottle but it's because I've forgotten to take my beads out (they were nearly disintegrated)

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-03-12, 10:42pm
Naysayer

lol Beth!
I put beads in mine before so it would mix better, duh!

Lyssa yeah mine are more flakes than chunks, but they can be big flakes. I say it's also due to being old, I've gone through a lot of bottles (before lampworking) and none had this issue, but she did say it was old when I bought it.
Either way sitting it in warm water helps it out for me.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:20pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
The crystals are ammonium fluoride. Other good considerations are (1) don't store it near food or glassware and (2) keep the bottle in a Ziplock freezer bag. The container will outgas after you open it and you'll find that any glassware in the cabinet will be frosted. Fluorine compounds are toxic as well so you don't want this stuff around your food. Don't etch in the kitchen.

Robert
Listen to what Robert has to say. I used to keep my etch all in the kitchen on the top shelf of my dish cupboard. It took me a while to work out what had happened to the glass I had next to the unprotected bottle.
Attached Images

Old 2012-03-13, 12:03am

When I first started making beads and bought a bottle of Etch-All, the first thing I did was post to make sure it hadn't gone bad, lol.