Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-07-26, 5:55pm

Default Using my new light tent and daylight bulbs...

I thought my pics were pretty good before, but I was unable to accurately capture certain colors like any of the metallic colors so I finally ordered a small light tent and daylight bulbs in the hopes it would make a difference. I just got it but already I'm noticing a pretty good difference.

I don't have stands for my lights so I wasn't able to get them into a good position on the outside of the cube but for a first attempt I'm pleased...

This first image is without any editing whatsoever and just using the auto-settings on the camera (I'm still learning how to use the manual settings so that will be a few days before I have a handle on that...at least)...so no editing whatsoever on this first image:

This is the same image with only ONE edit. I was in a hurry so I didn't fuss, I just clicked on the right eyedropper tool in the "Levels" to correct the background -- no other editing...same image as the one above:

I imagine once I get the hang of using the camera properly and where to place my lights I will be good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-07-26, 5:57pm
Entropy increasing....

Ooooo...daylight bulbs huh? I am not happy with the flourescents I have.

Where did you get the bulbs?
Old 2006-07-26, 6:15pm

Kevan, I had been wanting to buy the set up from tabletopstudio but couldn't afford it so I decided to look to see if I could find some of the componenets cheaper elsewhere and I found the exact same bulbs they sell for much cheaper through this other eBay seller: smartlineco -- I bought 3 of them and with shipping it came to $24.46. They arrived in just a few days. I'm sure I could've gotten them for less at someplace like Home Depot but the nearest store like that is an hour away (I live in the boonies). They are 30w 5000k daylight bulbs that a lot of the light cube kits seem to include so I thought they'd be what I'd need.

Old 2006-07-27, 2:17pm

Hey Melissa, The photo Sucks But a great save with the editing. Try to find a way to over ride you camera. Your meter is not on the ball as it were.
Eyedroppers are ok . But learning how levels work, will pay out greater rewards
Love ya
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2006-07-27 at 3:56pm.
Old 2006-07-27, 2:24pm

Yes, I usually use levels per your tutorial but I was in a super big hurry to I could go make dinner before the DH got home...lol. Until I read your tut a few weeks ago I had no idea how to use any of those arrows in levels but now I use them all the time. I can't believe what a difference it makes. Know what else I've converted to? I used to use (gasp) Sharpen but now I have learned to use the Unsharp Mask thingy and WOW what a difference! I swear I've become your biggest groupy! LOL

M-

Old 2006-07-27, 4:36pm

There is a secret with level I haven't shared yet, Because I'm not sure how to teach it. It is so powerful, that you could color correct on a B&W monitor.

Here it is. If your working on a Mac, it has been available forever. But if your on a PC it is available on 7.0 or better. ( Photoshop, levels ).

Ok it will be tough to understand. But let me try to give you the jest.

If you hold down the option key ( PC users, it might be the command key )
when you click on the BLACK point or WHITE point arrows, You will get a black or white screen. So lets work with the black point for now. The white point will be the same.

Lets Hold down the option key, then click on the black point arrow. The screen will black out. then sliding the arrow towards the grey point. Small dots will appear. When the dots start to form groups. That is where you need to set the black point. same with the white point The computer is showing us where to set the white or black points.

Don't feel bad if you don't get it. Its something that you need to see for yourself, first hand. Thats why I stayed away from introducing it in my tut.

Anyway If you really want to dive into this . Pm me and I'll do what I can.
Much love
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2006-07-27 at 4:44pm.