Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-11-25, 10:52am
Eight Miles Wide

Default The cost of my NG line & hood install

My natural gas line (1/4" psi standard house pressure) was installed this week, and I also had them duct my Glasscraft hood out through the sill of my house. I live in a somewhat rural area, 3 miles from the "city". This meant I didn't have to worry about any codes or permits. This was important where I had the opening for my ventilation. It comes out less than 2 feet below a window. I was told that it would violate codes in the city but "out here" it's fine. I just have to make sure I don't have that window open when I torch. I did make sure I had two cut-offs, one at the opening where I'll be torching and one where the gas line comes in the house. My HVAC guy said that even if I hadn't asked for that, it is was they would have recommended.

The grand total was $496.62:

Taxable/parts: $298.93
Labor: $179.75 (this includes the install of a humidifier we had done at the same time)
Tax: $17.94

This was not a quick thing to have done. First, I called my gas company to see if they had to do the install. After going back & forth for well over 2 weeks with their questions about the torch & what I was looking for, they decided that since I was going with standard house pressure I could just have a heating & cooling company do it (and they even had a recomendation). Then, when I called the H & C company, it took a couple of phone calls to explain what I wanted. Then, it took almost two weeks to get them out there to see where I wanted the set up to give me an estimate. This is a very busy time of year, people needing new furnaces and all. It then took another 2 weeks for them to have an opening to get out here & do it. It took most of the day, but we also had a humidifier installed. He said the gas line & hood install would pretty much have been just over 1/2 a day.

I think that about covers it. I will hopefully be posting pics in the studio room tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-27, 6:04am
boro color bender

Awesome Melissa! I hope it works well for you!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-11-27, 9:40am
Eight Miles Wide

Thanks, Brent! I can't wait to try that puppy out!

Old 2006-12-06, 4:14pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Wonderful!! Have you taken pictures yet?

I might be doing this soon, and need to figure out what to tell the guy who is going to run the pipe from my current gas line to the torch.

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2006-12-14, 10:11am
Eight Miles Wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesmom View Post
Wonderful!! Have you taken pictures yet?

I might be doing this soon, and need to figure out what to tell the guy who is going to run the pipe from my current gas line to the torch.
Sorry, between getting sick & going on vacation, no pics yet. Within the next week.

Old 2006-12-14, 12:52pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

We want pics! We want pics!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Besides, it's a long way until April when I'd see it in person. BTW - check out the WC West Michigan Gatherings thread when you get a chance - Robin had a question for you there.

MJ
Old 2006-12-16, 3:35pm
Eight Miles Wide

updated it, thanks!