Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-12-02, 3:11pm

Default Please help with photo comments

Hi - Well I finally am trying to take pictures of my work - if you have a moment and can help that would be great.
(Please send me your comment here and not on the Flickr site)
Please go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajacksonart/ and look at the bead photos. I am VERY confused about background. I do want to keep it plain and I think I will gradate it - is there any rule of thumb for that? A color that is in the bead?, a color NOT in the bead? are any colors more distracting that others? Any help, comment at all!!!!
Thanks!!!!
Hollowbead
Old 2009-12-04, 2:28pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

You've got so much color in the beads that anything other than a solid shade of white or cream or gray would probably be distracting. When your site popped open on my screen I said "Wow - COOL".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-04, 2:44pm
Pyromaniac

I think a black to white gradient or black to gray gradient is a perfect backdrop for beads with lots of color. I also really like the reflective backgrounds some people use like Sislonski (http://www.etsy.com/shop/sislonski).

I have the following gradient backgrounds:
black to red
black to gray
black to white
cobalt to white
brown to cream

The only ones I use are the black to white or black to gray. By moving your piece around and adjusting the lighting you can use more of the dark or more of the light part of the background. Here's a couple examples:

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2009-12-04 at 2:46pm.
Old 2009-12-10, 3:53pm

Thank you for your comments. I have been using the gradient on the Picassa program but I saw someplace that I can get my own "paper" background for the effect - and have more control.
I have added pixs so others folks please continue to look.
Thanks!!
Old 2009-12-10, 3:57pm

ummm - the reflective background from the etsy site are very cool. It looks like reflective plexiglass - I know it comes in different colors too! I'm going to look for some!!