Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-09, 3:44pm

Default Buying wholesale from China

Has anyone ever purchased goods from Alibaba....a company in China??? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-09, 3:50pm
I fart diamonds

Been doing it for over 15 years. Check out Made-In-China, too.

Old 2013-09-09, 4:04pm

Awwww, Shawnette...thank you SO much!

Old 2013-09-09, 4:06pm

BTW: what's been your experience for wait time, and how have you handled payment? Thanks...sorry for the bother.

Old 2013-09-09, 4:15pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
BTW: what's been your experience for wait time, and how have you handled payment? Thanks...sorry for the bother.
It really depends on what it is. Custom items can take weeks or months. Items already in production take a week or 2.

Payment is usually via bank wire, although some companies are taking Paypal, now. I've used bank wire, Western Union and Paypal. Be aware that there will be fees involved. Make sure you ask up front so that there won't be any surprises when you get the invoice. Also, if it's small items, like jewelry components, request that they send using China Post, unless you need it in a hurry. Most of them use DHL, which although being faster, is super expensive.

Old 2013-09-09, 4:23pm

Great advice, and much appreciated!!!! Thanks!

Old 2013-09-09, 5:56pm
offically down under

Alibaba is a clearing house similar to Amazon. I only deal with companies that take paypal or credit cards.

Old 2013-09-09, 6:25pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Alibaba is a clearing house similar to Amazon. I only deal with companies that take paypal or credit cards.
Not really. Alibaba is basically an Asian sourcing site Thomasnet. Aliexpress is like Amazon.

Old 2013-09-09, 7:49pm
Uh Oh....

Shawnette - have you had any issues with orders or delivery from Alibaba? I've tried to buy things from there three times from different vendors and I've had issues with every one. Two of them, I never got the package and the third, the item was not as described. I had to open up cases for all three to get a refund.

I did just purchase something from DHGate and I did get the items and they were as described so this is the first time I've got something from China that was actually right.

Old 2013-09-09, 8:19pm

My son who is a mechanical engineer ordered a huge furnace/kiln thing from Alibaba. They paid 7 grand for it. They had to pay an additional 2 grand in customs and pay an electrician to get it to Australian standard. The furnace heats up to 1500 C, but they had to get a new door for it because the one of it was ....PLASTIC!!!
No recourse for them because of the hassles involved, so they just put it down to a learning experience. I told him next time order from the states!
I am sure it isn't always like this, especially for smaller items like jewelry supplies, but I won't use them now..
Old 2013-09-09, 8:40pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
Shawnette - have you had any issues with orders or delivery from Alibaba? I've tried to buy things from there three times from different vendors and I've had issues with every one. Two of them, I never got the package and the third, the item was not as described. I had to open up cases for all three to get a refund.

I did just purchase something from DHGate and I did get the items and they were as described so this is the first time I've got something from China that was actually right.
Ordering directly from the Alibaba website is new so they have some kinks to work out. The problem is, you're not ordering from Alibaba. You're ordering from a business posting on Alibaba. I've never done that and probably won't any time soon. I deal directly with the company. (I have ordered from AliExpress, though. Nothing bad to say. I ordered from 2 vendors and had no issues. Crazy slow delivery, though.)

The only time I've had a bad experience from Alibaba was dealing with a company from India. Never again. I'll stick with China.

Old 2013-09-09, 8:43pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadskadoo View Post
My son who is a mechanical engineer ordered a huge furnace/kiln thing from Alibaba. They paid 7 grand for it. They had to pay an additional 2 grand in customs and pay an electrician to get it to Australian standard. The furnace heats up to 1500 C, but they had to get a new door for it because the one of it was ....PLASTIC!!!
No recourse for them because of the hassles involved, so they just put it down to a learning experience. I told him next time order from the states!
I am sure it isn't always like this, especially for smaller items like jewelry supplies, but I won't use them now..
This is something I would never do. Too many companies in country that can build what I need. The shipping charges alone would eat up any savings on cost.

Old 2013-09-09, 9:00pm
Uh Oh....

Is there some kind of broker in the middle then? On one, I think the actual seller found out the person that was doing the shipping was doing something wrong as I got an email several months later about my transaction to see if my problems got resolved. They were checking with everyone that bought something from their company.

I've had other issues with Chinese companies, like Pandahall and they use business postings, then order from the manufacturer when people place orders. Their descriptions are what the manufacturer gives them and they don't verify so when something isn't as described, I've had to take a picture of it and prove it's not the same before they offer a credit.

So, do you email the company directly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Ordering directly from the Alibaba website is new so they have some kinks to work out. The problem is, you're not ordering from Alibaba. You're ordering from a business posting on Alibaba. I've never done that and probably won't any time soon. I deal directly with the company. (I have ordered from AliExpress, though. Nothing bad to say. I ordered from 2 vendors and had no issues. Crazy slow delivery, though.)

The only time I've had a bad experience from Alibaba was dealing with a company from India. Never again. I'll stick with China.

Old 2013-09-10, 6:01am
I think my raku is broken

I've used DHGate a few times successfully. They hold your money in escrow until your item has been delivered and accepted. I've never had any trouble, though. All the items I've purchased have been delivered within their stated time frames of 18-24 days.

Old 2013-09-10, 6:19am
I fart diamonds

I have no idea. Like I said, I order direct from the manufacturer, not through Alibaba. AliExpress has a feedback system but I don't know if Alibaba has instituted one.

Old 2013-09-11, 8:06am

I just bought a bunch of Chinese finding on e-bay. Bit on the slow side shipping but it was what I expected. Packing could have been done cleaner. good prices

Old 2013-09-11, 5:04pm

I have bought from DHGate.com also. I have had no problems and shipping is usually free, and only takes a few weeks. They have everything from Jewelry to electronics on this site.