No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-08-14, 7:40am
Pyromaniac

Default HELP! My hands shake!

It's just a slight shake, but I'll never be a brain surgeon. In fact, accurate dot placement is kind of a challenge for me. I plan to mention this at my next doctor's appointment and see what they think as well. It seems no matter what I do (make sure my blood sugar is adequate, well rested and no caffiene) my hands still have a slight tremor... which becomes more pronounced when I'm trying to be accurate (yes, I fold under pressure)..

Unfortunately for me, I believe it may be inherited on my mother's side, she has it, as did her mother...

So, that said, medical solutions aside, can anyone offer suggestions to minimize the effects of my poor shaky hands? Or should I just give up and make beads that don't require accuracy?
Old 2006-08-14, 7:42am
Satake Woman!

Do you have a creation station? My hands shake, and that has really helped me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-08-14, 7:47am
dances with ideas...

So do mine! Accurate placement so far seems to be a dream for me. Here's a thread that you might find helpful.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283288

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-08-14, 7:55am

I agree with Jo. I did buy me a creation station and found it to be very helpful. My hands are so shaky that people ask why are you I so nervous. Before I bought the creation station I would take the cap of the oxygen bottle and place it next to my torch and brace my forearm against it that was also helpful. But the creation stations, has been my best solution.
Never ever give up.

Bernadette
Old 2006-08-14, 7:59am
Safety ALWAYS

Also, think about getting a bead spinner.

Last summer I taught a couple of 80+ ladies who had real bad tremors. Their problem was holding a small mandrel. When we put it in the bead spinner, set to slow speed, they had very little problem with shaky hands.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-08-14, 8:35am
Pyromaniac

I don't really have problems with holding mandrels. It's more "holding them STEADY" although the whole bead spinner thing is on my list for other reasons

Hmm. The creation station? I've heard tell of it but I have no idea where to get one?
Old 2006-08-14, 8:54am

Default Creation station

I got mine at http://www.austinbluemoon.com/catalog.php?item=2 and I don't ever want to be without it Also the austinbluemoon-people are superrrrrr
Good luck
Jenny
Old 2006-08-14, 9:09am

Hi there. I have problems with my hands shaking too. It seems to be genetic on my father's side. Three generations have it. I also bought a creation station. I don't use the wrist rests unless my hands are shaking. I have a bad back too and the creation station has helped tremedously for that. I am not asociated with the company at all. I am just very glad to have it. I can't remember where I got it but is worth every penny. don't give up. some days will be better than others. I'd try the creation station for sure. I can torch much longer than I could without it.

hope this helps.

Old 2006-08-14, 12:50pm

what's a bead spinner?? i have had problems with my hand shaking but it's because i'm thinking about trying not to shake..i try to relax and not think so hard about what i'm doing..anybody know what the bead spinner is and where i can find one??thx

Old 2006-08-14, 12:57pm
Sorry for party rockin'

I have a torch mounted Steadyrest marver and I LOVE it . . . . the heel of my "decorating" hand almost always rests on it, so it stays very still.

I got my marver here:
http://www.razberibeads.com/catalog.php?category=1

I tried a graphite marver for awhile and it got WAAAY too hot to touch after a short amount of time, but the Steadyrest marver stays cool no matter how long you work

Old 2006-08-15, 12:56pm

Default something to lean on?

I swear I don't know how people lampwork without some sort of support to brace their arms or wrists on. I took my first class that way and thought "this is really ridiculous - no artist or craftsman can control what they are doing without bracing their pencil or other tools." You can't control the movement of your tools anymore than you can control the movement of a camera without steadying it somehow (tripod, resting on something etc.)

The creation station, some sort of arm rests (Smircich sells some:http://smircich.com), or a cross bar to lean on (Jelveh's husband custom builds these, I believe: http://www.jelvehdesigns.com/jewelry.htm) are a must in my book.

The other thing I had to do was give up caffeine when I started lampworking. I knew from wayback that my hands aren't steady after coffee in the morning.

Last edited by Vicki B.; 2006-08-15 at 1:00pm.
Old 2006-08-15, 5:35pm
Meow is worse than Bite!

Definite shaking for me due to meds and genetics. I used homemade armrests for a while. Then I bought a creation station. Love that thing to death. I am not the steadiest person in the world but the creation station helps considerably. I highly recommend it if you shake. At the very least try some homemade ones. I would exlpain the ones my hubby built but they were done with what was laying around the house and were a bit annoying.

Linda

"...precise, perfect people who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything." -Henry Ward Beecher

Old 2006-08-16, 7:00pm
Leisabeads

No soda or caffine before lampworking If that doesn't work it's Creation Station Time - best tool out there!!!