Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-09-17, 4:18pm
Administrator

How come when I try to etch my beads they don't come out looking like other peoples? mine look all uneven and stuff, not velvety like the ones I see on ebay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-09-17, 4:21pm
Etched Metal Rocks...

You might need to ask that in the tips area... reminds me that I want to know if etched beads can be re-etched after they get yucky next to silver....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorriDawn
How come when I try to etch my beads they don't come out looking like other peoples? mine look all uneven and stuff, not velvety like the ones I see on ebay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-09-17, 4:23pm
Administrator

etch all I think. it is liquid stuff in a big bottle with blue label. I think I might leave them in too long without moving them around or something

Old 2005-09-17, 4:28pm
Detail G-Mama!

Thanks for the compliments ya'll! I use Dip and Etch liquid when I etch my beads. I time them also, a minute on each side then I put them in a baking soda/water solution to stop the etching process. I then wash them with dish soap and rinse and that's it!

Old 2005-09-17, 4:29pm
Administrator

what do you mean a minute on each side? so like you flip them halfway through? but are they always completely submerged?

Old 2005-09-17, 4:31pm
Detail G-Mama!

I have my liquid in a bigger plastic container, just easier that way to get the beads out. I flip them because the part of the bead that is laying on the bottom of the container dosen't get etched if I don't flip.

Old 2005-09-17, 4:44pm
Lampworker on Hiatus

Ya know Corri, in order to get the "perfect etch" you need to first put on some soft and relaxing music, light at least 3 candles then, while standing on one foot, carefully put the beads in the etching solution. Wait exactly 4.59 minutes and then pull them out while chanting "You are beautiful, gorgeous beads. You are so beautiful I may never make another bead. You are perfection!" Then just rinse in soapy water, blow out the candles and change the radio station. DONE!

Old 2005-09-17, 4:49pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
etch all I think. it is liquid stuff in a big bottle with blue label. I think I might leave them in too long without moving them around or something
Corri, I used to have that problem too. Now I tie them on a leather cord and put them in an old medicine bottle (plastic) with some Etch Bath and shake them for a minute or so. Silky smooth.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2005-09-17, 4:52pm
Administrator

well, tink, that brings up the point of etching vessels... I etched one and some stuff got in the vessel but didn't cover the iinside or something so then it was funky. do you cork or something before etching?

Old 2005-09-17, 5:03pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Etching the inside of a transparent vessel gives a different look than leaving it shiny. Sometimes I want to etch it, but if I don't, I just fill it with water and cork it before etching. The water keeps it from floating.

Also Available in

Old 2005-09-17, 5:04pm
Administrator

thanks... I have a few etched vessels that look like crap because i tried to etch the inside too

Old 2005-09-17, 5:17pm
boro color bender

I had no idea about not etching the inside of a vessel... thanks a bunch! If I ever etch a soft glass vessel, I'll need to know that. You guys rock!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-09-17, 5:20pm

Talking

This seems to have turned into am etching tutorial, I've actually read all 10 pages over the last 4 nights no comment! However I do have some etching questions!

So... back to etching, when I etch anything that has frit the frit stays shinny, I'm using etch all, I've tried one bead suspended bunches of beads all shook up, longer time doesn't improve it.... What am I doing wrong?

Lynne

PS I thought the three legged mug was really cute, however I could only see two legs in the picture!

Last edited by Islandgirl; 2005-09-17 at 5:33pm.
Old 2005-09-17, 5:36pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgirl
This seems to have turned into am etching tutorial, I've actually read all 10 pages over the last 4 nights no comment! However I do have some etching questions!

So... back to etching, when I etch anything that has frit the frit stays shinny, I'm using etch all, I've tried one bead suspended bunches of beads all shook up, longer time doesn't improve it.... What am I doing wrong?
I'm sure it has something to do with the composition of the frit. What will etch morreti will not etch other glass. I'm a boro guy and need to bust out the sand blaster to etch my work. Maybe the acid isn't strong enough for some of the different frits being used... they aren't the same glass as the main bead, that's why you can't use too much.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-09-17, 5:38pm
Detail G-Mama!

What Brent said, some of the frits will not etch but, it makes a nice contrast sometimes!

Old 2005-09-17, 5:38pm
Administrator

I would say you are right Brent since aren't most frits glass blowing glass which is a much harder glass?

Old 2005-09-17, 5:41pm
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Sarakay does some great etched beads too.. her florals ones are so cool. I drool over them and how the flowers aren't as etched
I love mine that she traded with me!!!

Old 2005-09-17, 5:47pm

Quote:
Sarakay does some great etched beads too.. her florals ones are so cool. I drool over them and how the flowers aren't as etched
I got the hint!

The transparent orange resists etching more than some of the other colors, that's why the flowers aren't as etched. And I do a short soak...about 4 minutes, 5 for transparent greens. They seem to be harder.

I'm going to go watch TLC...maybe "what not to wear" will be on. I love that show! I've lost a ton of weight in the past couple of years, and have no idea how to dress myself in something flattering, so the show helps. I need a haircut, too.

Old 2005-09-17, 6:09pm
CA Queen Bitch

Well............ from experience, acid etch wears out! I mean OUT!! You have to buy a new bottle every now and then, and even with a brand spanking new one, I still can't etch a bead in under 9 minutes?? Now mine is coming to me with a freshness date on it. Kinda like a Budwiser born on date.
And..............................Have you seen my wonkie eyed kitty, Serinetta?

And............................. have you seen what Jason is up to lately?

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-09-17, 7:43pm
doyenne of the homebodies

About etching....I have a few etched beads that have so far been to every show I've done, and every time at least one person will pick them up and say "oh, is this polymer clay?" I'm guessing that the people who come to my table are looking for glass, and many might be assuming these are clay without asking. I like polymer clay beads and I wish I had time to pick up another hobby or I'd try it out, but my question (finally!) is, has anyone been able to un-etch beads?

Since I've sold unetched versions of these particular beads quite a few times, I really don't think the flaw is in the bead itself. But I guess it could be

Andrea
Old 2005-09-17, 7:46pm

Etching works best with transparent glass.

Old 2005-09-17, 7:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarakay
Etching works best with transparent glass.
Yes, the beads I'm talking about are all opaques. I have no trouble selling my etched transparents. I was wondering, though, if anyone has tried to heat etched beads back up and polish them again?

Heck,they're not selling, maybe I'll just try it!

Andrea
Old 2005-09-17, 7:55pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreajane
About etching....I have a few etched beads that have so far been to every show I've done, and every time at least one person will pick them up and say "oh, is this polymer clay?" I'm guessing that the people who come to my table are looking for glass, and many might be assuming these are clay without asking. I like polymer clay beads and I wish I had time to pick up another hobby or I'd try it out, but my question (finally!) is, has anyone been able to un-etch beads?

Since I've sold unetched versions of these particular beads quite a few times, I really don't think the flaw is in the bead itself. But I guess it could be

Andrea
You may be able to polish it off of the surface... glass is like a stone in many ways... think lapidary equipment... or maybe even tumble those beadies.

Old 2005-09-17, 7:56pm

Does tumbling polish glass? I'm totally ignorant about tumbling...

Andrea
Old 2005-09-17, 7:59pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I do a lot of flame-polishing, and it's time consuming. But it definitely can be done. But in most cases you'd spend less time just making a new bead...

Also Available in

Old 2005-09-17, 8:02pm

Thanks, Tink. I guess I'll just use them as "studio examples"....

Andrea
Old 2005-09-17, 8:07pm
boro color bender

Tumbling with the right grit in the right order for long enough will polish most anything... if you have the time I've not had too much success. i give up too early. I'm kind of an instant gratification guy.

Old 2005-09-17, 8:08pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
I'm kind of an instant gratification guy.

Also Available in

Old 2005-09-17, 8:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Tumbling with the right grit in the right order for long enough will polish most anything... if you have the time I've not had too much success. i give up too early. I'm kind of an instant gratification guy.
Me too. That's why my friends who've seen me lose it just from having to stand in line can't believe I make beads. I tell them, it may take patience, but it doesn't feel like it. Makes all the difference! Effortless patience.

Andrea
Old 2005-09-18, 12:53am
No Longer an LE Member

Andreajane - If I have etched beads while they are still on the mandrel, and don't like the way they look, the next day I pop them back into the kiln and bring up to annealing temp, and then pop them in and out of the flame to repolish them - takes the etching right away.

Last edited by CorriDawn; 2005-09-21 at 5:21pm.