Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-02-01, 9:20pm
Fire Monkey

Default Photoshop "Save for Web" Option

When I use the "Save for Web" option to optimize my image it gives me a washed out version of my pic. I don't remember this happening when I used this option before.
Is it possible I changed a setting? I can't figure out what I'm doing differently.
Any suggestions are much appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-01, 9:34pm
da General

It does that . . . don't know why (hopefully someone who knows will post) . . . I usually increase the contrast right before save for web and device to compensate for the loss of vibrancy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-01, 10:00pm
Fire Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
It does that . . . don't know why (hopefully someone who knows will post) . . . I usually increase the contrast right before save for web and device to compensate for the loss of vibrancy.
Thanks Haley, I'm glad it's not just me
I never noticed it before on my old computer. I did increase the contrast and sharpen the image and it helped but I had to keep going back and forth until the final image matched the original. Maybe with practice I'll be able to do it in one shot.
What is "device to compensate for the loss of vibrancy"?

Old 2008-02-01, 10:10pm
make beads not war

The screen shot is a old, but there is a little arrow near the save button. Click it and select the Photoshop Compensation. On recent versions it might be Use Document Color Profile. It should help from washing out the photo.

Old 2008-02-01, 10:18pm
Fire Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by villa design View Post
The screen shot is a old, but there is a little arrow near the save button. Click it and select the Photoshop Compensation. On recent versions it might be Use Document Color Profile. It should help from washing out the photo.

Melissa, I think I love you
It works!

Old 2008-02-01, 10:55pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by villa design View Post
It's "Use Document Color Profile" for me . . . thanks so much, Melissa. Learn something new everyday!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-02, 7:35am
aka Spawn Of Flame

Melissa, I think I love you too!!! I never knew that, and well, I know a lot about Photoshop. Oh happy day - that has always bugged me.

--
--
--

Old 2008-02-02, 7:39am
make beads not war

You're welcome guys! I still discover new things about Photoshop and I've used it for nearly 10 years!
Old 2008-02-02, 8:29am
da General

Isn't that the truth, Melissa? I keep going to different seminars and pick up new tips and tricks - there is no end in learning this program!

Thank you! I love you too!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-02, 5:05pm
Sandi

Thanks Melissa...I have another question maybe someone can help with. I just bought Photoshop Elements 6 and so far I love it but....in Elements 4 I was able to add a picture frame/border around my picture and make it my choice of color. This was an option under "frames". I can't seem to find that same option under "frames" in Elements 6...there are a ton of premade frames but I want to choose my own color. Thanks.

Sandi

Old 2008-02-02, 6:22pm

Hate to beat the horse. But if your photos have the proper levels settings you'll get very little change when you save for web. Dither is really a concern for the printed page. It can help. But is not the real solution. The problem is with your levels. When your levels are off, every other command will only increase the problem.

Look at it this way. If there is a flaw in the original. Copying it will only make it worst.
If the levels are not balanced the save for web command will use bad information to make bad computations. Moral of the story. Garbage in garbage, Garbage out.

Here a tut I did on levels. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11879

I can not STRESS how important levels are. Learn this one command and you'll own all the other photoshop commands.

It's all about balance.
Scott

P.S. Sandi. To make a border do a select all. Then under edit select stroke. This will bring up a dialogue box. Select the color by pre selecting the foreground color, or double clicking the foreground color box in the dialogue box and selecting the color from the palette box. Then select the amount of pixals ( size of stroke ) Press ok . But do this on it's own layer. This way you'll have controll of the border.

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-02-02 at 6:37pm.
Old 2008-02-03, 8:37am
Sandi

Thanks Tanner Studios...that worked perfectly.

Sandi

Old 2008-02-03, 5:45pm
Fire Monkey

Thanks Scott.
I always use the levels but I have a feeling I'm not doing them correctly.
(Going off to reread Scott's tutorial...)