TrueDesign on Ebay

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Which colored wire do you lke best?
Artistic Wire 10 50.00%
Parawire 9 45.00%
Other (please explain) 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-12-18, 11:39am

Default Which Colored Wire is better...?

I am looking to purchase some colored wire. I have gone through some old posts but I am still confused.

I am looking for a colored wire that:

The color stays on properly
Has lots of gauges
Is a decent price

I was looking at Artistic wire and Parawire. But if anyone has any other options please let me know.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TL; 2010-12-18 at 11:41am.
Old 2010-12-18, 12:16pm
Wait.....what?

Depending on what you're using it for.
The wire artist I'm most familiar with that used colored wire swore by parawire.
Old 2010-12-18, 12:43pm

I will be using it for jump rings and wire wrapping....jewelry stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-19, 6:41am
Katherine

I have used Artistic Wire for years and have never had one problem.

Old 2010-12-19, 6:55am
formerly Marella

I've used Artistic Wire and love it...lots of colours and gauges to choose from.

It's great for wire wrapping but I don't think I would use it for jumprings...it's not stiff enough and they will pull apart.

~
~
~
Old 2010-12-19, 2:16pm
Katherine

I have found the 20 gauge brass Artisitic Wire to be very stiff - actually a bit too stiff for my purposes. But their 20 gauge silver wire is on the soft side as mentioned above by Gillianbeads.

Old 2010-12-20, 10:28am

Good to know. Does it tarnish ? the sliver wire?

Old 2010-12-20, 4:07pm
formerly Marella

Artistic wire makes two different silver ones...be sure to get the Anti-Tarnish Silver wire.

~
~
~
Old 2010-12-21, 12:34pm

Ok so far the polls are tied.... LOL

Is there anyone else that cares to respond?

Old 2010-12-21, 3:03pm
one day at a time

I know of several jewelry makers that swear by the durability of Parawire, but some use the Artistic wire and like that one a lot too.
Old 2010-12-21, 8:52pm

TL - Artistic Wire is very good. With reasonable care, it is as beautiful after wearing long and hard, does not tarnish, or scratch. 18 g. is fine for jumprings up to size 5 or 6m depending on the bracelet or necklace. I use 16g for larger rings, size 20 for 2.5 - 3.5m.
On the other hand, I buy Parawire! It is equally good in all respects, has just as wide a selection, and costs less. I've had no problems with either one, and Parawire people are also friendly, helpful, and they ship quick. Just my own opinion. Marilyn
Old 2011-01-06, 10:14pm

Thanks for everyones thought

Old 2011-01-07, 11:38pm

it is 9 - 7 now for Artistic wire

Old 2011-01-07, 11:54pm

I carry small spools of parawire and I use it as well. I have gauges 14-24 I think in the silver and gold and a few colors as well.
I do notice that if I use black and white for "viking knit" that the color can come off in some areas. I've never tried artistic wire but would like to see how it holds up to viking knit. The silver, copper, gold...etc seem to be fine as well as some of the blues and such. Only a few colors so far have rubbed off due to pulling through the draw plate.
In wirewrapping, I have no problems and I'm horrible at making jumprings perfectly round so I don't use it for that lol

Old 2011-01-08, 12:01am

Irene - Thanks for your input. I am glad to know about the black and white colors in Parawire.

Has anyone else use the black and white in a viking knit in the Artistic wire?

Old 2011-01-08, 9:48am

I had purchased the Artistic wire to do some Viking Knit and had major color flaking issues with the black. I contacted the vendor and they were under the impression that I was working it too hard with the tools. I wasn't using any tools at that point except at the very end of the piece so they gave me credit for the black spools I had purchased. The non-tarnish siver is fantastic !! I've been getting consistant results with that.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2011-01-08, 5:05pm
Katherine

I have crocheted with Artistic black wire for several years And I never had a flaking problem so it must have been a bad batch. Glad they gave you credit for it.