LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-08-05, 6:56am

Default Bubbles in a mesh pattern

I learned from Sherry Bellamy in one of her wonderful classes, if you use brass mesh in a bead, it creates bubbles in a mesh pattern, like this bead.

The chemistry behind it makes it easy to understand. Brass will burn of in the flame, but also under an encasement. When it burns, it leaves a gas. Under an encasement, the gas can't go anywhere but upwards to the surface. That is what creates the bubbles.
You have to be careful not to overheat your bead because then more brass will burn and the bubbles come together and form a big bubble. The bigger bubbles travel to the surface and burst open.

I make a small base, heat it till it glows and stick some small brass mash and wrap it around the bead. The glass must be hot to stick, not to hot otherwise the brass will burn away.
Keep the brass out of the flame and encase it. Make sure your encasement is fairly thick, otherwise the bubbles will come to the surface. Shape your bead and if you have been careful, there will not be much bubbles. Then heat and watch for bubbles. If you see them coming, get your bead out of the flame.

The brass mesh I used is a mesh size 60, the thread is 0.16 mm think and the aperture is 0.26 mm.

I hope this make sense, remember, English isn't my first language.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-08-05, 7:06am
Feminist Killjoy

Thank you Miriam! Looks like fun!
Old 2009-08-05, 7:13am
Senior Member | Jenelle

So Cool Miriam, I can't wait to try this! Thank you =)

|
|
|
|

Old 2009-08-05, 7:15am
Gimme that silver glass!

Love it Miriam, thank you and thank Sherry for sharing this!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-08-05, 7:49am

Thanks for the tutorial and your English is perfect.
Old 2009-08-05, 7:50am
Who me?

OMG - awesome - thanks hugh bunches - gotta try this.
Old 2009-08-05, 7:52am

I am just wondering how safe brass fumes are to breath??
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-08-05, 7:55am
I speak Murrini!

This is an interesting technique! I see there are some discussions going on in the Gallery, and although this is not my thread, Miriam, I hope we can share some feelings and observations here with care and consideration of everyone's feelings and opinions...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-08-05, 7:59am
Gimme that silver glass!

Paula, the brass is encased and I think that's why it safe, the fumes stay under the encasement so you won't breath them in?

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Last edited by Troll Lover; 2009-08-05 at 8:03am.
Old 2009-08-05, 8:03am
I speak Murrini!

I'm curious about that too, Anouk and Paula...I know that so many presses are made from brass but I know there's no melting involved. Hope someone who knows for sure will pipe up and post

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-08-05, 8:14am
I fart diamonds

Anytime you work with metals you should have proper ventilation. Brass is made up of Copper & Zinc (and sometimes lead) and it does produce fumes that you don't want to breathe.

Old 2009-08-05, 8:17am

I love this look. De, I too read the gallery thread. I didn't know this was Sherry's technique and when I saw the beautiful "champagne" beads, I didn't know it was anything secret. I too have done this years ago just by accident actually. I just think that sometimes this happens in the lampwork world. If I had gotten the inkling to make a bead with the brass mesh, I guess I would have been labeled as a copy cat, but that would not be the truth. I have never taken a class with Sherry or anyone else for that matter. Sometimes things just happen. Sometimes no one is at fault...SOMETIMES!

Oh, and by the way De, this isn't directed at you. I just know you knew what was going on in the Gallery.

Miriam, that is a beautiful bead! I might have to try this again.

Old 2009-08-05, 8:19am
Uh-oh means it's too late

Thank you Shawnette, there are also other issues that I was told of from Chrissy about saftey that people need to be aware of before trying this technique- none of which Miriam addressed. I feel that this is not fair to those who are only wanting the Bling of the final result because there are things in between that could get you seriously burned.

Old 2009-08-05, 8:21am

Last year Sherry showed how a little piece of brass mesh encased made bubbles. When I so Chrissy's beads, I remembered how the reaction was of brass mesh. I phoned Sherry yesterday and asked if she had a problem with me using the brass mesh in a bead and tell people how it worked. She didn't mind.

When I posted my bead, I got pm's and questions how to make this bead. I then thought is was easier to tell it in a short tutorial then writing it down every time and again. I didn't think it was something secret.

If I can share knowledge or whatever, I will do it.

|
Old 2009-08-05, 8:22am
Rose colored glasses…√

We all agreed to move the discourse outta' the gallery, so here it is, I think, for the most part, in its entirety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam View Post
When I saw Chrissy's nice sparkle balls, I remembered Sherry Bellamyshowing in one of her classes the effect of brass mesh. After searching for the right mesh, I finally tried it on some beads. There are more beads on my blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
Brass mesh?

Like this?

http://www.generalmesh.com/english/brass_wire_mesh.htm

They look to have some fairly small size. I want small, small, small. Ya'll are surprised by that, right?
Quote:
Thank you all for the lovely comments on my bead (and blog)

I will write how to make this bead and what material I used in the free tutorial section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
I am really sorry here guys and stone me if you want but this whole thing with the brass technique of CHRISSY'S has gotten out of hand. If this is supposed to be a technique Sherry showed you all in class what right do you have to post a free tut on how it is done. Really is that how low some of you will stoop to stop another in their tracks? I am ashamed that this is how my fellow artists are treating one another. For all of you who think I am off base just look at where the artists who are exposing Chrissy are from- The Netherlands- to me this looks like they can't handle her having a little success and have to blindside her- just calling how I see it
Quote:
On the other hand, if this is SHERRY'S brass technique, and it would appear to the casual observer that it is, it's not right for anyone else, even CHRISSY, who you partner with, to capitalize on it - just calling it how I see it...

and Sherry's too much of a class act to call anyone's attention to it. Maybe behind the scenes Sherry said, "go for it". We don't know. We only know what we see...and I see sketchy, m'self. Of course, I could be wrong...

So I'll bow out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Michelle, Chrissi and others...

I had similar thoughts and curiousity; I feel they are worthy of addressing and would love to hear from Sherry if she chooses to acknowledge or respond to this, but I think another area in this Forum would be a better place to start and continue the discussion.

Would any of you consider posting in the Family Room?

Just trying to keep the Gallery focused...

De
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
For the reccord, i have never seen my Gold Champagne Bubbles else where. And i have never been in Sherry's class.
Quote:
Cool. Like I said, I could be wrong. To the casual observer, which I fully and freely admit to being, it could appear sketchy. Sherry taught in the Netherlands, you live in the Netherlands (and that might be like sorta', but not quite, like saying I live in the USA and so does Kevan), you appear with champagne balls soon after Sherry's class. Add it all up, and well...

See what I'm saying?

Everyone on this board is going to form their own opinion, regardless. Besides, I wanna' know how you can encase coral when I've never succeeded. We all have our own talents to share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads
Oh and thank you for insinuating that I would have monetary gain from this which is anything but true we do partner for murrini but the tut would not be sold on our venue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij
I wasn't insinuating monetary gain; I was insinuating (if you want to use that word) friendship. We all stick up for our friends, don't we? That's what friends are for, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post

EDIT: I've stuck my neck out and "opened the door", so to speak, in the Tut thread...I'm pulling my posts from here and hope others will take it there or elsewhere as I think it's a valuable discussion.

De

Please realize I'm not being bitchy, not really, and I've no bones to pick with anyone. I'm a karma takes care of all kinda' person, but I'm willing to admit, that sometimes I wanna' see it. So, shoot me.

Now. As you can see, it's all in one post. That I can delete. If everyone agrees. If Sherry doesn't care, and Chrissy doesn't care...who am I to care?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...

Last edited by chrissij; 2009-08-05 at 8:25am. Reason: forgot a post...
Old 2009-08-05, 8:26am
Tacki

Quote:
I'm a karma takes care of all kinda' person
No truer words have ever been said
Old 2009-08-05, 8:29am
I fart diamonds

Just let me say that Sherry Bellamy did NOT come up with this technique. I stumbled upon brass mesh in 2005 as a beginner and I've never seen Chrissy's sparkle beads, either, as I don't frequent the gallery.

ETA: I think I should rephrase that to say that the technique didn't originate with Sherry. If I could stumble upon it as a newbie, I'm sure there are 100s more who have done the same.

Last edited by shawnette; 2009-08-05 at 8:36am.
Old 2009-08-05, 8:31am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Just let me say that Sherry Bellamy did NOT come up with this technique. I stumbled upon brass mesh in 2005 as a beginner and I've never seen Chrissy's sparkle beads, either, as I don't frequent the gallery.
Cool too...

Heck, Mandy posted about her dirty stringer causing bubbles the other day, and someone posted if she purposefully scuffed up her stringer it'd do the same thing. I thought, "Gee...if I scrape up a goldstone stringer...hmmm..."

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2009-08-05, 8:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I love this look. De, I too read the gallery thread. I didn't know this was Sherry's technique and when I saw the beautiful "champagne" beads, I didn't know it was anything secret. I too have done this years ago just by accident actually. I just think that sometimes this happens in the lampwork world. If I had gotten the inkling to make a bead with the brass mesh, I guess I would have been labeled as a copy cat, but that would not be the truth. I have never taken a class with Sherry or anyone else for that matter. Sometimes things just happen. Sometimes no one is at fault...SOMETIMES!

Oh, and by the way De, this isn't directed at you. I just know you knew what was going on in the Gallery.

Miriam, that is a beautiful bead! I might have to try this again.
I would just like to know what your feelings are though about the fact that NO ONE said anything about this being a technique of Sherry's in the begining when Chrissy showed her beads and announced not only her tut but when it was coming out. How come no one came forward then to point this out? I just feel there is more to this than meets the eye and I for one know that Chrissy did not learn this from Sherry and came upon it like you did - all on her own since she nor I had ever seen beads like this I even (along with countless others) encouraged her to write the tut. Now having said this if this was a class technique that Sherry shows I am hoping that she does stop by to clear up whether or not ANYONE has permission to re-write the instructions. I for one know that this technique can be dangerous if the right percautions are not taken not only from fumes but from burns and that information NEEDS to be disclosed and I know that if it was Sherry she would have let her students know about the hazards up front.
I do love the beads made by this technique I think there are other issues at hand that are surrounding this tutorial.

Old 2009-08-05, 8:34am

Quote:
Last year Sherry showed how a little piece of brass mesh encased made bubbles. When I so Chrissy's beads, I remembered how the reaction was of brass mesh. I phoned Sherry yesterday and asked if she had a problem with me using the brass mesh in a bead and tell people how it worked. She didn't mind.

When I posted my bead, I got pm's and questions how to make this bead. I then thought is was easier to tell it in a short tutorial then writing it down every time and again. I didn't think it was something secret.

If I can share knowledge or whatever, I will do it.
So even though you knew someone else was writing a tutorial on this you still decided to railroad her- that is low

Old 2009-08-05, 8:38am
Burning through glass

Quote:
So even though you knew someone else was writing a tutorial on this you still decided to railroad her- that is low
Who said anything about Miriam knowing about Chrissy's tutorial? or am I assuming that's what you're talking about, Michelle? Did she say "I know Feng is doing a tut on this, but I'm beating her to it with a FREE tut?" I don't think so.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2009-08-05 at 8:41am.
Old 2009-08-05, 8:38am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
Michele, who is saying it's a technique by Sherry? Miriam just said it's something she learned in a class with Sherry.
My bad. I insinuated it could be...

Since Miriam linked to Sherry's Website, I figured Sherry was aware of the kerfluffle.

Old 2009-08-05, 8:39am
Gimme that silver glass!

Oh sorry Chrissij, just deleted it, didn't want to make this thread uglier... And I also wanted to add, who says Miriam knew that Chrissy was doing a tut on it?

Gosh, this has big uglyness potential...

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-08-05, 8:40am

Also since it seems like so many have stumbled upon this then all Chrissy was doing was writing it up in official form so ANYONE could learn it. And including all the necessary safety and extra info to make this a sucess. Her monetary gain would have been for her hard work and time in perfecting and addressing every saftey issue before we tried it out- is this any different than Anouk writing a tut on silver glass and how she gets it to "Sing" no one here de-railed her when she was coming up with the tut and a lot of us work with silver glass

Old 2009-08-05, 8:42am
Tacki

That's the risk you take when you come up with a "new" technique, have tons of people asking you how you do it, then you dangle a paid tutorial in front of their face saying it's coming. I'm not saying that's right or wrong either way, but she put herself out there. She posted the pictures, people wanted to know how to do it. The technique was pretty obvious to me. I've never tried it, but brass mesh was my first guess. The look of it doesn't particularly interest me personally, so I never bothered to try it.

If you post your pictures on the internet, expect people to want to know how they're made and expect them to dissect the technique. It's the nature of the beast. If you don't want anyone copying you then keep the beads to yourself. In Miami I saw TONS of beads and techniques that I've never even dreamed about. They were original and unique because the artists kept it to themselves and didn't post pictures. I post pictures because I don't care if anyone copies me (not like I'm doing anything innovative anyway). I look at pictures posted here all the time and bookmark them, save them, hell I even print them for inspiration. I can't tell you how many times I've printed off beads from Anastasia, Anouk, Hayley, the Lisa's, Glasting, etc trying to get a technique down. You set youself up for that when you post pictures. Welcome to the internet.

And at the risk of stirring up more drama here... I posted a comment in a S&T a month or two ago asking if Anouk & Chrissy were working together. They posted right after one another. The beads looked the same, used the same technique, and even had the same freakin' font. Anyone would have guessed they were working together. I was told they weren't, and went back to look for that style of bead and font. Anouk had been using it for months, Chrissy just started using the font that week. Was she copying Anouk? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. We're all inspired by each other all the time, consciously or unconsciously.
Old 2009-08-05, 8:43am
Burning through glass

Quote:
Also since it seems like so many have stumbled upon this then all Chrissy was doing was writing it up in official form so ANYONE could learn it. And including all the necessary safety and extra info to make this a sucess. Her monetary gain would have been for her hard work and time in perfecting and addressing every saftey issue before we tried it out- is this any different than Anouk writing a tut on silver glass and how she gets it to "Sing" no one here de-railed her when she was coming up with the tut and a lot of us work with silver glass
So, has anyone said, "Now you cant write your tut, Chrissy". Again, I don't think so. I think Chrissy could offer a lot of useful info on her tut, so let her.

Custom Supplies:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2009-08-05 at 3:15pm.
Old 2009-08-05, 8:44am

ummm Miriam herself said she saw Chrissy's beads that is how she "remembered" the technique. And along with Chrissy's beads she said she was doing one so if someone saw the beads they saw this info.

Old 2009-08-05, 8:47am

I respect your opinion Renee, but think how you would FEEL if this was done to you several people have put info out that they are writing tutorials and they are not exposed like this i think Chrissy thought she would be given the same consideration. Wouldn't you expect that for yourself?

Old 2009-08-05, 8:54am

Traci Dawn,
You actually hit a nail that Chrissy was fearing- exposing herself. I for one feel that this is always the case. This is where common decency comes into play. I know there are people that keep everything to themselves and if that was the case half of us would not even be here to share what we know- however, what I see is a little different it reminds me of highschool where everyone was so childish that only certain people were ALLOWED to succeed- the underdogs always had to suffer- about the font have you ever seen Chrissy's business webpage? it's been up for awhile. okay now back to this had it been any of the people you mentioned in your list coming up with this not one person I see posting would have torn the technique apart that is how i see it and there is tons of proof on this forum to back that up. Lets face it this place is just like highschool, The Real World, The Gauntlet (all MTV shows) all about cliches and who's who.

Old 2009-08-05, 8:56am
Burning through glass

Quote:
ummm Miriam herself said she saw Chrissy's beads that is how she "remembered" the technique. And along with Chrissy's beads she said she was doing one so if someone saw the beads they saw this info.
Again, I'm going to ask how you think Miriam knew about the impending tut. Just because she saw it on Chrissy's bead, does NOT mean she knew. As she stated, she saw the technique BEFORE Chrissy's bead....so it seems Chrissy doesn't own that technique. But, as I mentioned before, let her do the tut and stop getting so bent out of shape.

For the record, Chrissy also said a few times there was no wire, or copper in her technique. To me, that means there was something else she was using. Does that mean Miriam knew of a "different" technique" since she's using wire mesh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
Thank you so much Karolen and Kristina.

In the mean time i have been getting a bunch of e-mails and pm's if i would consider to write a tutorial. So i should do that, i just need to find me some time.

And there is no wire involved in my new technique

Custom Supplies:

&