LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-09-12, 8:07pm
Your Royal Fritness

Default Brass Frit Tutorial

I have been playing with what I call "Brass Frit" for a couple of years now. Here is a tutorial on how I use it. You can purchase it from Mike at www.MikesBrassForGlass.com This baggie of brass frit will last you a long time Remember a little goes a long way.

Brass Frit Tutorial

Supplies needed

• Brass Frit from MikesBrassForGlass.com.
• Marver with brass spread out on it. I use my razor tool to move the brass around.
• Opaque glass.
• Clear glass.
• Razor tool.

Caution: Be careful when using brass frit. It is sharp and can cause injury.
Use Brass Frit only under a ventilation system.

Note: I used very little brass frit in these beads. Place the brass frit on your marver before starting your bead. Spread it very thin on the marver with your razor tool.

1. Make a tube bead of opaque glass and marver it into the length you want to your final bead to be.

2. Heat the surface of the glass until glowing and roll it in the brass frit. Then, marver the frit into the base glass.

3. Next, keep the bead below the flame and encase it in clear covering all the brass frit. I like a heavy encasement of clear because it adds a lot of depth to the bead. Do not place frit directly into the flame. It will spark and burn off the bead.

4. Heat the encased bead until glowing. You will see the gold bubbles form. Don’t heat your bead too long because it will bring bubbles to the surface of your bead. Once you start to see the bubbles form, pull the bead out of the flame. If you need more bubbles, reheat.

5. Finish decorating your bead and place it into the kiln.

Have fun and I would love to see what you create!

Dawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mustang Dawn; 2011-03-23 at 4:04am. Reason: spellling error
Old 2009-09-12, 8:34pm

Hi Dawn,
Love the bead. I'll have to get some of the Brass frit from Mike. Great Idea. Thank you for sharing the tut.
Janet
Old 2009-09-12, 8:38pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Thanks Dawn! I'm going to give it a try. I didn't even know this stuff existed.

Ebay:
Old 2009-09-12, 8:45pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
Thanks Dawn! I'm going to give it a try. I didn't even know this stuff existed.
A couple of years ago I saw a big tub of it at Deb and Mike's and asked if I could play with it. It is created when Mike makes his presses

Thanks Janet!

Last edited by Mustang Dawn; 2009-09-12 at 8:48pm.
Old 2009-09-12, 10:12pm
HelenC

Cool

Well that's a good enough excuse to get the presses I've been wanting.
Order placed now I've just got to wait.
International post is a pain.
Thanks for the info Dawn.
Regards
Helen
Old 2009-09-13, 12:45am

That is awesome!!
Old 2009-09-13, 4:24am
Your Royal Fritness

Helen it is a good excuse.... What new press did you order?

Dawn

Old 2009-09-13, 4:42am
HelenC

Smile

Hi Dawn

I got the rounded links and the squisher.
You can never have too many tool's .

Helen
Old 2009-09-13, 5:28am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenC View Post
Hi Dawn

I got the rounded links and the squisher.
You can never have too many tool's .

Helen
I love those links presses and I use my squisher daily.

I've been stalking my mail box for a few days because of the Frantz glass sale. I love having something to look forward too.

A girl can never have too many tools

Have an awesome day! Dawn

Old 2009-09-13, 5:36am
birdergirl ~o~

Great tutorial Dawn !
So nice of you to share!
I'm wondering if the "frit" could be made as needed by snipping some brass mesh into tiny pieces?

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-09-13, 8:51am

My husband is a wood turner and uses the brass shaving to fill small holes to highlight some of his pieces. He gets his shavings at a hardware store that makes keys. They always are happy to let him take all he wants just to get it cleaned out.

Glenda
Old 2009-09-13, 10:00am
Your Royal Fritness

Cadia I don't see why not

Glenda that is a great idea! Just make sure it is pure brass. I know my key place cuts all different colors on there machine.

Dawn

Old 2009-09-13, 11:32am
Anyone need some spacers?

I remember you showing us how to use the brass frit at a meeting a few years ago and you gave us all some to try out. Mine is on a shelf someplace, guess I better get it out and dust it off so I can give it a try.

Old 2009-09-13, 5:18pm
Your Royal Fritness

Tracy where does all the time go. It just seems like yesterday..... I've had a few treasures I dusted off of my shelf too

Hugs, Dawn

Old 2009-09-15, 8:19am
Born Facing Left

I LOVE the look of the brass frit, how cool is that???

Old 2009-09-17, 3:08am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Thanks for the cool tut Dawn. I just ordered some brass frit and can't wait to play with it!

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2009-09-20, 4:42am

Thanks so much for the tut, Dawn, I just had to order the frit (and of course, another press) based on what you've shared here.

I can't wait for them to arrive so I can try this, your photos and beads are fantastic - very inspirational!

Thanks for sharing!
Mary

FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE
Old 2009-09-20, 10:33am

Thank you so much for the tutorial. The beads look fantastic!
I will give this a try.

Thank you for sharing!
Andrea
Old 2009-09-20, 1:58pm
Your Royal Fritness

Thanks everyone! These are really quite easy to make

I just like to watch the bubbles form. I all ways think of Fninding Nemo...My bubbles, My bubbles...... I love that cartoon!

Dawn

Old 2009-09-20, 2:22pm

Dawn
Do you find that using brass cracks in beads? All beads that I used brass in cracked. Not sure what I did wrong but I'm bummed. It's a lovely effect though Must keep trying

Old 2009-09-20, 2:35pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Dawn
Do you find that using brass cracks in beads? All beads that I used brass in cracked. Not sure what I did wrong but I'm bummed. It's a lovely effect though Must keep trying
No, I have not had any crack on me. I used morietti to encase these. How much brass are you using? I used very little brass spread thin out on my marver (a little goes a very long way).

It would make sense if you have too much brass and a lot of bubbles that it would weaken the bead. Kind of like when you use too much baking soda to make bubbles in beads. Too much is the kiss of death, lol.

I would also put them into the kiln a little on the hot side.

I hope that helps

Dawn

Old 2009-09-20, 2:38pm

That could be. I haven't tried Mike's yet and I wish he had them on there when I bought the links press lol. Someone sold me some brass mesh and so I played with that. I didn't get alot of the mesh to dissolve into freeform bubbles though and if brass is used on a transparent red base..it turns silver. Thought that was odd but kind of neat but was looking at Christmas beads with red and gold and I got silver!

Old 2009-09-20, 4:40pm
birdergirl ~o~

Dawn,
You mentioned a razor tool as needed for this, but I don't see where you used it.
Thank~you!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-09-20, 5:14pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dawn View Post

Note: I used very little brass frit in these beads. Place the brass frit on your marver before starting your bead. Spread it very thin on the marver with your razor tool.

1. Make a tube bead of opaque glass and marver it into the length you

Old 2009-09-20, 5:26pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Well, I have my beads with brass frit (bouth from Mike's) also cracking.
I did encase in Precision Diamond Clear, if that makes any difference ...

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-09-20, 5:52pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus Beads View Post
Well, I have my beads with brass frit (bouth from Mike's) also cracking.
I did encase in Precision Diamond Clear, if that makes any difference ...
I made 3 of them 2 weeks ago and they are still standing. I also have one that I made about 2 years ago on a phone fob and it is still fine. The beads have been taking quite a beating in my bead box as well. Did they crack right out of the kiln? How much brass were you using? It could be too much brass or the bead going to cold into the kiln. Try making a few test ones using less brass and more heat.

I have not used diamond clear when making these so I don't know if that is a factor or not.

Let me know what happens.

Dawn

Old 2009-09-20, 5:54pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
That could be. I haven't tried Mike's yet and I wish he had them on there when I bought the links press lol. Someone sold me some brass mesh and so I played with that. I didn't get alot of the mesh to dissolve into freeform bubbles though and if brass is used on a transparent red base..it turns silver. Thought that was odd but kind of neat but was looking at Christmas beads with red and gold and I got silver!
I'm going to have to try this color combo this week! Irene it takes quite a bit of heat to get the bubbles to form. See if that melts your mesh

Dawn

Old 2009-09-21, 9:37am
Your Royal Fritness

I just thought I show you how much Brass Frit I use. I take my small tweezers and pick up a small pinch (sorry for the bad picture my camera wanted to focus on everything else but the pinch of brass). Then I spread that pinch out on my marver with my razor tool. It is a very thin coat of brass. I only roll my heated tube bead ONCE through the brass. It will NOT pick up all the brass. I would say it only picks up 50% of it. So you see I am only using a very small amount.

When I want to make a line of bubbles on a bead I use my razor tool and make a row of brass frit to roll my heated tube bead in 1 time. Once again you could use this line of brass frit a few more times before it is used up.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words in my book so I hope this helps out.
Attached Images

Old 2009-09-21, 12:57pm
Queen Bead

Hi Dawn boy those are nice, are you still teaching classes?

doreen
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied. "I created You." ~ Jim Willis
Old 2009-09-21, 5:09pm
Your Royal Fritness

Hi Doreen! Yes I still teach, but I teach out of my home studio now

Dawn