Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-10-08, 5:05am

Default How to make the Hearts???

Hi everyone!! I am rather new to the flameworking world and I absolutely am addicted. When I look through here and see all the great stuff people are making I am in awe. I am curious about the hearts I see on here. They look like they are made from two pieces of rod that are connected on the sides. I am just wondering how to make these as they look great.

Any help or tips?

Thanks
Old 2009-10-08, 5:07am
Borovangelist

Welcome aboard! Did you find anything when you did a search for heart and tutorial?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2009-10-08, 5:51am

Welcome aboard.

Being new here, you may not have met the "search" feature yet. At the top of your screen, look at the line that starts with "User CP," then "FAQ," ... to the right you see "Search." Click on Search and then type in what subject you want to look at. For words 4 letters or less, use the wildcard "*" after your words... such as "boro* heart." It will then think for a moment or two and search for all threads that have those words in them.

It's a very handy tool to finding information that has already come up on LE in the past. Have fun searching.

Good luck,

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-10-08, 5:52am
Pyromaniac

Definitely use the search function in the tutorial room, you will find LOTS of great information. However, being the giving caring sharing individual that I am, I did it for you...this time

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591

That's a good tutorial but no pictures.

What I do (mostly thanks to the post which I linked)

I decorate a gather, heat to a sphere (about the size of say a quarter), smoosh to a lollipop, cut the end of the lollipop in half so I have what looks like a rod with a pac-man on the end (open mouth facin away from rod), then using heat and gravity melt each half to create a smooth rounded shape then melt them together. From there you add a loop, and pull the heart from the rod.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-10-08, 6:23am
N2Beadz

Welcome to our playground!!!

This may be an inspiring thread to follow...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=142011

Old 2009-10-08, 5:09pm

Thanks for all the replys. Sorry about missing the search buttom at the top. Also thanks for all the links. I can't wait to try making these. I have only been doing this for about a week and a half but I just can't get enough.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 2009-10-08, 5:59pm
Borovangelist

You'll be a crazed addict, eyeballing bigger and bigger torches and lusting after liquid oxygen in no time

|
|
Old 2009-10-08, 6:17pm

Helloo. My name is Fanny, and I am a "Crazed Addict". I have been torching for almost a month. I am working on a HH, and have already been doing some comparison shopping for a bigger torch. Awww..Ithink I feel a twitch coming on. I haven't torched at all today. Poo.
Old 2009-10-08, 6:18pm

Oh yeah, I am SO lost on what kind of heart you are talking about..two rods...cutting the pancake, huh? Can someone post a pick or send me to a link with what kind of heart this is...please...
Old 2009-10-08, 6:26pm
Pyromaniac

Fanny since you obviously checked the link I posted earlier, did you notice Mr. Smiley's Avatar? Also, if you read further, lots of people posted their results... and you can also look here: http://brentgraber.com/

Old 2009-10-08, 7:05pm

Can these kinds of hearts be done with soft glass? Also, I see people saying stinless steel chopstix work as great punties. Do mandrels work? I may be just goofy, but I can't ever get the glass to stick to the mandrel (w/o bead release) to pull stringer. Should I have the release on it..?
Old 2009-10-08, 8:06pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannydotson View Post
Can these kinds of hearts be done with soft glass? Also, I see people saying stinless steel chopstix work as great punties. Do mandrels work? I may be just goofy, but I can't ever get the glass to stick to the mandrel (w/o bead release) to pull stringer. Should I have the release on it..?
Make sure your steel punty is hot. Hot steel will stick to glass....cold, won't. BTW - make sure to keep flashing it to maintain a heat level or it will let go.

Old 2009-10-08, 8:17pm

K. Thanks!
Old 2009-10-09, 4:13am

Fanny
how does Esty work? I have about 45 pieces that I would love to get rid of so I could buy more rod. I thought about ebay but there is so much 99 cent imported stuff on there I don't think I would stand a chance of selling anything. I guess that must be the down side of doing this...what do you do with it after you have given family and friends all they want?
Old 2009-10-09, 4:16am

Mr Smiley's hearts are the type I was looking for. They are amazing..I made a few last night and they turned out pretty good.
Old 2009-10-09, 4:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
Fanny
how does Esty work? I have about 45 pieces that I would love to get rid of so I could buy more rod. I thought about ebay but there is so much 99 cent imported stuff on there I don't think I would stand a chance of selling anything. I guess that must be the down side of doing this...what do you do with it after you have given family and friends all they want?
Well, to be honest, I like my etsy, but I also have an artfire. Etsy charges .20 per item listed. So if you have 3 of the same thing, it is .60. Artfire has a special now through the holidays that you can have unlimited listings free. Then, it is only so many, or you can pay like $12/month for unlimited listings.
So, 45 items on etsy would cost you $9. On artfire. $0. I like them both. Although I have not sold anything on artfire yet, but I just set it up a week or so ago. It took me a full month before I sold anything on etsy, and still, I have only sold 3 items..Ho-hum.
Old 2009-10-09, 6:22am
Pyromaniac

Fanny - yes you can make those hearts with soft glass but you have to be careful or the soft glass will get away from you. You don't really need a punty to make these at all - you can make them on the end of a rod and then use pliers or tweezers to hold the loop and remove from the rod and finish the pointy end. Punties are definitely optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
Mr Smiley's hearts are the type I was looking for. They are amazing..I made a few last night and they turned out pretty good.
This post requires pictures!

Old 2009-10-09, 6:43am

Thanks!
Old 2009-10-09, 7:42am
The Battle of Boro Boro

Default Boro Hearts

OK folks. We seem to have a bunch of newbies to the Dark Side....WELCOME!!

In regards to hearts...I took a quick 15 mins this morning to help everyone help.

HOWEVER - I want to be VERY CLEAR on this post. I learned this technique STRAIGHT FROM Brent's (Mr. Smiley) original post on how to do hearts. ALL CREDIT needs to go to him.

I'm not a tut writer folks...and please keep in mind I am flaming with one hand with the camera in the other.

I've just learned an immense amount from the folks here (like Brent) and believe this forum is the best way for our community to help each other out.

Brent's Post -> http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591

Old 2009-10-09, 10:23am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I've made hearts periodically for a few years. I've made them several different ways, depending on how I feel when I sit down at the torch. Sometimes I make a ball on the end of a clear rod, cover it with colors, flatten the ball while it is attached to the punty, and then push down on the top of the disk in the middle with a knife or something to separate the top of the disk into two lobes. When I push the glass down with the knife it bunches up as I push down with the knife. Then I push the bunched up glass further down over the lower part of the disk, re-flatten the disk, and continue shaping the heart. Another way is to make the disk and instead of pushing down with a knife, use a pair of scissors (I use tin-snips) to cut the disk to separate the two lobes of the heart, and then continue shaping. If you use Gypsy Queen or Antique Beauty, or any striped rod to cover your initial clear ball, you get very different effects between these two ways. But with each of these ways you wind up with a flat heart. For a 3-D heart there are many suggestions above this post. And Brent's DVD is VERY well worth it.

Old 2009-10-09, 10:31am

Brent Graber (Mr. Smiley) is the king of heart making. He teaches it in his classes. He is in Florida so you should PM him and ask when he is giving another class in Florida. He also travels and is planning to be in many studios around the country.

He is a great teacher and the class is excellent.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2009-10-09, 5:03pm

ok here are my pics of my first hearts. Be easy on me...remember I have only had a torch for about 10 days. I will keep working on them.
Attached Images

Old 2009-10-09, 5:50pm
I'm a lilac!

I'm SO impressed that you were able to make those hearts after only having had your torch for a week and a half!

Old 2009-10-09, 5:58pm
Tweedle Dumb

holy moley! I was lucky to get a semi round bead, no broken bead release, bead in my first week on the torch! Great job!

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-10-09, 5:59pm
honorary bead lady

Hey Wiley Why don't ya also post in the newbie S&T in the Gallery thread there are a few new boro folks in there too.
Old 2009-10-09, 6:45pm

Wiley, post those in the Newie Challenge. It is on hearts this time. Great job by the way!!!!
Old 2009-10-09, 6:51pm

Thanks for the kudos. I know they are rough but that just means I have to play in the fire more!! Here a couple more that turned out ok. The compressions are hard for me. I don't get many to turn out right but this one is not too bad. The little potions bottles are fun to make and get me blowing a little. Thanks again for the replys and the kind words
Attached Images

Old 2009-10-09, 6:52pm

Can you do vessels with a hollow mandrel, or only with a glass tube?
Old 2009-10-09, 7:30pm
My opinion not needed

Nice hearts!

Another Wiley too!

Old 2009-10-10, 9:01am
Beadmaking.nl

Perhaps I am to late, but I love this heart-tutorial:

http://www.amytrescott.com/hearttutorial.htm