Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-11, 6:48pm
Formerly FishBulb

Default For those of you who used Krazy Glue...

... on your CG beadrollers that you dropped on your concrete floor, did you find that an effective repair method? Did it hold up under the heat?

Guess why I need to know.

I tried searching the forums for "fixing beadroller" but I got so many hits for any posts with "beadroller" in them, I don't know if I'd ever find the right ones.

And it was Krazy Glue, right? Would two-part epoxy be better, d'you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-05-11, 7:02pm
Cat Winx

Angie.. I sent off a message to a friend of mine who knows all sorts of esoteric things including (I am betting) the best glue to use on graphite.

Will let you know what he has to say when he gets back to me.

~Rachel Cat

Old 2010-05-11, 8:14pm

I used clear Gorilla glue, have not had any problems. My break was where the handle meets the graphite. If you use Gorilla glue be sure you follow the directions on the bottle and dampen the two pieces of graphite to be joined with water and clamp if possible. This type of glue requires moisture to cure.
Old 2010-05-11, 8:20pm
Formerly FishBulb

Thanks Rachel!

Victor, my break was right in the middle of the largest round. I have used Gorilla Glue before and I'll have to see if I still have it.

Old 2010-05-12, 11:46am

Please let me know if this works for you!! Guess why I need to know!!!
Mary T.

Old 2010-05-13, 7:24am

Hi guys, so sorry they broke, unfortunately it's just graphite. But fortunately it's graphite and the fix is easy.

I get the question every now and then so have developed a 'canned' answer so I can give consistent advise (ok, I canned it cause I'm lazy,lol)

Line it up good and super glue it. It' just graphite, so it's that easy. That's also what I use to glue the handles in (loctite, or any good brand). Super glues flash point, when it starts to smoke, is pretty high, over 400 degrees, so hot beads on it will be fine. Try to get it right the first time though, I find the more I mess with one, the more likely it is that it won't take. Some people have had success with e6000, and although I'm iffy on Gorilla glue, one person told me they used it just fine. I like the super glue because I know it has the high flash point, haven't researched the others.

(Sorry on the Gorilla Glue comment, but everyone has their preferences. If it work for you, that's great)

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2010-05-13, 8:36am
Formerly FishBulb

Thanks Donna! I will see if I can pick up some Loctite.

I did find that my Gorilla Glue bottle is hard as a rock, so I won't be trying that.

Hopefully this is the last time I have to even think about this! Normally I'm soooo careful with my beadrollers, always hanging them up carefully when I'm finished, and the one time I get careless, I end up paying for it.

Old 2010-05-13, 3:11pm

Gorilla glue and E6000 did not work for me. I finally used a black glue that is called a welding glue.
Old 2010-05-13, 3:40pm

Angie:
Guess what.......Mine broke in three places (rounds). I super glued it with a brush on super glue two maybe three months ago and it's doing just fine. Works great and man am I really careful with my other beadrollers. This happened when I accidentally hit it with my elbow and knocked it off my table (I had it to close to the edge) Very valuable lesson learned. Wish you luck fixing yours.

Old 2010-05-13, 4:16pm
Formerly FishBulb

This is exactly what I did, Roberta. Boy, did I come up with a bunch of brand new words for myself when I did that.

Which super glue did you use? I'm taking down all the suggestions here and I'm gonna buy one of each! I'll also have to check out the black welding glue as per Pat's suggestion.

I did get an email from someone who did say their super glue gave out after four months, but I don't know what type of glue they used and how much they used the roller.

I do know I'll be hanging them up differently as well, or even putting them in a drawer.

Old 2010-05-13, 8:29pm

I've had a couple of them with superglue for, I'm not sure, but it's been since maybe last summer. Doing fine.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2010-05-14, 6:57am
Formerly FishBulb

Was it the Loctite, Donna? I'm going out glue-shopping this weekend.

Also, thank you for offering your advice in this thread. I appreciate you coming here to help us klutzes. I would buy your stand for the beadroller but I don't have room on my bench; I just have to take extra care, that's all!

Old 2010-05-14, 7:22am

You're welcome, Angie, it's just customer support. (ok, it's cause I care, too, lol) Loctite is the brand name, and the stand would only keep one tool safe. Upshot? walk farther away from your table. lol

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2010-06-14, 2:46pm
SierraCatz

Because I have limited room on my work space too...my DH made me a bead roller holder that is compact & holds 3!! (but you can make it bigger I guess) Just 3, 2 inch X 4 inch PVC pipe glued (Supra GLue) to a piece of plywood...doesn't tip, makes the rollers accessible & easy to grab and I keep my space free of clutter...I will take a pic if you want - used scraps so cost about $3.00!LOL

Best of all..my adored bead rollers have NOT been dropped yet!

Barbara -
"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea!" Unknown
Old 2010-06-14, 3:18pm
Gonna get blow'd up!

Gorilla Glue fixes all...and they make DUCT TAPE than can wax a german man's as...nevermind...