Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-10, 12:18pm

Default Devardi Annealer

Hello! I've been learning how to make beads for about the last year. I think I'm now at that point that I may want to market them at small shops in our small college town. But, there has been no way for me to get my beads annealed. I came across the Devardi Annealer on their website. Does anybody have any thoughts on this thing?

Amy
Old 2011-03-11, 5:55pm
Life is change. Love it

It looks very small, and you have to manually ramp down which would be a royal PITA. It would drive me friggin insane, but it is cheap. Frankly, if you are looking to do this as a a business I would buy a proper kiln

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-11, 6:06pm
אהבה אני ישו

I agree with Carolyn about it being a bit of a PITA - BUT for the price, I think it could be a good first bead annealer. If you outgrow it or get tired of babysitting the manual temp control, you can always use it as a rod warmer. Since a digitally controlled bead annealer will cost you at least $500 (unless you find a used one), this might be a low cost solution.

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2011-03-11, 6:19pm
one day at a time

I think it's a good kiln for a beginner and a good second small kiln for when you fill yours up and still have the itch to work some more.
Old 2011-03-11, 6:50pm
honorary bead lady

Other than using it for a rod warmer, why bother? There are threads to build your own annealer.
Old 2011-03-11, 7:15pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking that maybe it would be good for a beginner. But then again, lampworking has become an addiction, so maybe a bigger kiln would feed the need for beads!!
Old 2011-03-11, 7:35pm
I'm a lilac!

Because it holds so few beads, IMO you would be better off seeing if you can find someone to batch anneal for you until you either find a sweet deal on a used kiln, or sell enough to pay for your own. You can get a small but perfectly serviceable kiln from Sundance for $290, to which you must add a pyrometer for about $60, less if you find one used.

Old 2011-03-12, 9:52am
Dancing Moon Shadows

My advice: Put up the bucks and buy a proper kiln with a digital controller. You'll never go wrong! If you decide you don't like bead making, you can always do fused pieces, enameling on metal, or even porcelain painting.

My bead kiln (and I have 3 kilns total) are started out for porcelain art. I have used them for many different fired arts and have never regretted buying them.

[/b][/i][/font]