No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-25, 4:20pm
Salt Box Beads

Talking Bead or findings storage solution

I have been racking my brain for about a week now for some unique way to store my findings, but have them visible, all silver, all copper, then all brass all in separate units, easy to get to, unspillable and not in anything that had to set on a counter or take up any space of which I have completely run out of!

I didn't want to pull out plastic drawers or search through baggies or bins or tubs or baskets etc. I also wanted to be able to see ALL of the stock I had on hand at a single glance to know if I could even start a project. It seemed HOPELESS!!!

But then... I had this fantabulous . I knew it would work so I headed off to Ross and bought four of the storage units. VIOLA!! They will work for findings, beads and probably much much more.

Oh and did I say CHEAP??? Has to be cheap because I try hard not to pay full prices for anything anymore. $7.99 each.

What ya think? The back side has the same amount of pockets. This unit is full of copper findings in bright copper, and antiqued.

Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2012-02-25 at 8:25pm.
Old 2012-02-25, 4:35pm
Happy Inner Dragon

What a great idea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA# P107
Old 2012-02-25, 8:27pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Essie, 80 pockets for 1 hanger. I really really like these.
Old 2012-02-25, 8:43pm

That is a great idea! I would need at least 2 maybe 3 for everything I have but the price is right! How are the pockets for getting things out of? Are they tight to reach into? Wonder how they would work for traveling as in fold up? I suppose it wouldn't be to hard to attach tape or something over the top of each pocket so they wouldn't spill? I do a lot of traveling back and forth to my moms and this looks like it would be compact enough so it wouldn't take up much room!

LynieG
Old 2012-02-25, 9:08pm

This does look terrific!!!
Is this from Ross Dress for Less or another Ross store? And what are they actually designed to hold, jewelry or cosmetics?
Old 2012-02-25, 10:11pm
Burn baby, burn

I've had my eye on those at Marshalls, but they were 14 to 20. Will definitely be off to Ross, thanks!
Old 2012-02-26, 11:55am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynieG View Post
That is a great idea! I would need at least 2 maybe 3 for everything I have but the price is right! How are the pockets for getting things out of? Are they tight to reach into? Wonder how they would work for traveling as in fold up? I suppose it wouldn't be to hard to attach tape or something over the top of each pocket so they wouldn't spill? I do a lot of traveling back and forth to my moms and this looks like it would be compact enough so it wouldn't take up much room!
They are easy to get into but when you have to get out those last few jump rings you may try using long nosed pliers instead of your fingers. You could add strips of small velcro to close them up for travel, just don't roll them up too tight because earwires may bend or twist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeevaaS View Post
This does look terrific!!!
Is this from Ross Dress for Less or another Ross store? And what are they actually designed to hold, jewelry or cosmetics?
Yep. from my local Ross Dress For Less They are traveling jewelry bags. Here is a picture of a very fancy one with zippers that belonged to my mother in law. The back is floral with no pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
I've had my eye on those at Marshalls, but they were 14 to 20. Will definitely be off to Ross, thanks!
Good Grief $20.00?! Save yourself some $$$ and a get new pair of shoes while you are there..LOL

Please share pics of what you do with these "new storage Units"
Attached Images

Old 2012-02-26, 11:59am
Lampworkaholic!

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Trip to Ross tomorrow for me.

If you kept the findings in a little ziploc bag inside each compartment they'd be easy to get out too.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-02-26, 12:30pm
Salt Box Beads

You are very welcome Elizabeth
Old 2012-02-26, 1:59pm
Artistically Absorbed

The storage compartments for screws, nuts and bolts at the hardware stores are really nice too. Just rubber cement on of the beads/findings to the front of the drawer. I found one unit with 60 drawers.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-02-26, 3:04pm
Salt Box Beads

In my original post I said how I wanted to stay away from drawers. They also need to set on a countertop or floor, they take up a lot of room in order to have four or five of them, they can be tipped over, ask me how I know this and I can't really see the amount of stock I have on hand at a single glance.

I have about half a dozen of those type of containers sitting in the garage.

But thank-you for the idea of gluing the item in the drawer on the front. I might be able to use it for actual washers, screws etc. out in the garage
Old 2012-02-26, 4:13pm

Thumbs up

I LOVE IT !!! Thank you so much for sharing your brilliance!!

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-02-26, 4:16pm
Salt Box Beads

Welcome.
Old 2012-02-28, 6:44am

What a neat idea. And it can be hung up out of reach of cats! I have one in particular that likes to carry away little baggies of findings if I have stuff out working on a project.
Old 2012-02-28, 7:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowglass View Post
What a neat idea. And it can be hung up out of reach of cats! I have one in particular that likes to carry away little baggies of findings if I have stuff out working on a project.
I have a bird that flies off with things--including two-inch lampwork beads.

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-02-28, 7:31am
N2Beadz

I've been considering looking for one of these for my pantry door to store the smaller things like sauce packets, mixes, samples, etc. I have one on the inside of my son's closet for his belts and misc. teenage boy stuff.

Old 2012-02-28, 9:14am
Salt Box Beads

Now that's what I'am talking about. So many ways to utilize these. Thanks for all of the other useful ideas and reasons why.
Look at all of the different pretty kinds you can get. Or maybe even create them yourself from picnic table plastic covers you can buy by the yard.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...sp=-1&sk=#x0y0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowglass View Post
Oh My! Now kitty can just bat at them in the unit. Or maybe you can hang a string with a ball on the hanger for kitty so boredom doesn't set in while you work??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbead View Post
I have a bird that flies off with things--including two-inch lampwork beads.
Yes they are little thieves. They won't give them back until they are through playing with them and by that time the bead could be ruined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donia View Post
I've been considering looking for one of these for my pantry door to store the smaller things like sauce packets, mixes, samples, etc. I have one on the inside of my son's closet for his belts and misc. teenage boy stuff.
Great ideas. Hmm I MAY be going back to Ross. How funny, looks like they might be a having a run on hanging jewelry closet bags.
Old 2012-02-28, 12:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Great ideas. Hmm I MAY be going back to Ross. How funny, looks like they might be a having a run on hanging jewelry closet bags.
LOL Lorraine! See what you started?!?

LynieG
Old 2012-02-28, 1:58pm
Salt Box Beads