Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-05-25, 6:09am
Back from the Dark Side

Default Different Vine Stringer Technique

I had a request on how I make vine stringers. The tutorial by FiredDesigns is absolutly wonderful! I do make mine a little bit different, so I will show my style too.

What you need!
Opaque White
Transparent Green
Intense Black

Step 1
I start by pulling a thin stringer of intense black. You do want it pretty thin, since intense black will web if it is too thick.

Step 2
Begin heating both the white and trans green in the flame. You want the green molten, but just flash the white. The white only needs to be warm enough not to shatter when you apply the green. Begin applying stripes of green around the end of the white.

Step 3
Once you have the white encased in green, turn your torch way down and apply stripes with the intense black stringer. They don't have to be straight and smooth...but it does help. Don't worry if they are lumpy, for once you pull it, you can't tell.

Step 4
Once you have the black stripes, use your green rod for a punty. Make sure to hit all of the black stripes or they will not pull right. Now heat the entire blob slowly, melting the stripes in and making sure there are no air bubbles

Step 5
Now that you have a molten blob of glass, pull it out of the flame. Twirl it slowly so it won't droop. Let it cool a bit. Say "look at all the pretty colors." Now begin to pull slowly. The slower you pull, the thicker the stringer. Remember heat rises, so if you get a really thick spot, raise that end, pulling continually. You don't need to twist, just a straight pull!

Ta-Da!
Vine stringer! I like to leave the ends with the glass I used, so if i like the combo, I can figure out what it was. I usually burn off one end and cut it in the middle so I have 2 nice ends to start with

I would love to know if it works for you!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2006-05-25, 6:13am
Cheerfully Profane

Great tutorial Lynn! Thanks so much!

Bek
Old 2006-05-25, 6:14am
Back from the Dark Side

You are so welcome!!

~
~
~

Last edited by Lynn Larson; 2006-05-25 at 6:39am.
Old 2006-05-25, 6:24am
Cheerfully Profane

Little tip. If you DO twist it, you can get some really cool reactions. Especially if you use pea green instead of the white and transparent green. I LOVE vine cane!
Old 2006-05-25, 6:39am
Back from the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHallGlass
Little tip. If you DO twist it, you can get some really cool reactions. Especially if you use pea green instead of the white and transparent green. I LOVE vine cane!
Oh yeah! And i bet pea green with med trans aqua would be really cool too! I just used white and green for this one, but any colors would rock! A light colored opaque and darker transparent make really neat colors

~
~
~
Old 2006-05-25, 8:37am
Broken

Lynn cool tutorial! I am going to give it a go whenever I can torch again!

Old 2006-05-25, 8:38am
Formerly Travelin'gal

Great tutorial Lynn!

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2006-05-25, 8:47am
Carpe Beadum

Very cool!! I cant' wait to try it out! thanks!`

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2006-05-25, 9:16am
IMAHO

Nice Lynn! thank you!

"Free your mind and your glass will follow"
Old 2006-05-25, 6:14pm

Great tutorial Lynn! Nice nails too!

Old 2006-05-25, 6:18pm
Back from the Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie
Great tutorial Lynn! Nice nails too!
*snort* Thank you dear!!

I really appreciate all of the feedback!!

~
~
~
Old 2006-05-25, 7:28pm
Cheerfully Profane

I'm such a dork. I went back up to look at your nails. They ARE nice!
Old 2006-05-25, 7:44pm
Etched Metal Rocks...

Nails were the first thing I noticed! *pulls own stubby nails back out of the light*

Oh...good tutorial!

Old 2006-05-25, 7:59pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Ahah! I spot a fraud!
How can you have such nice nails and call yourself a lampworker!!!
Within a week of installing the torch, I had burnt the tips off my nails and
burned one of them almost clear off. SHES USING A HAND MODEL
hee, hee, hee.

Kidding. I just rated your tut 5 stars. Good going girlfriend!
Old 2006-05-25, 8:19pm
Corgi Cult Member

Bravo! Oh, had to go back up to see the nails. I definately know I wasn't your hand model.
Kathy
Old 2006-05-25, 8:33pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Oh! You silly girl! I totally see the sample packs of my frit in the background. Did you try them out yet? Do ya like them??? Don't take more than 1 of each!!! I should have put enough in there for the rest of the boro box people.
Old 2006-05-25, 10:16pm

Nice tutorial Lynn! Thank you for that one. Hey what kind of torch do you have?

Old 2006-05-26, 5:05am
Back from the Dark Side

Thanks for the compliments on my nails I grow them extra long so when i stick them in the torch i have some left! Do you know they sparkle when you burn them

Tracy, that is Mel, my baby Piranha. He's hot hot hot!

~
~
~
Old 2006-05-26, 2:48pm

LOL, I noitced her pretty nails right off too... Dang those are cute, I have a touch of OCD and I pick at my cuticles, I have to cut my nails short too so I don't mess with them

Btw- great tutorial
Old 2006-05-26, 8:06pm
Covered in glitter

I've always played the piano so I just got used to short nails. I can't imagine having them that long! I'd be setting them on fire all the time!

Oh, thanks for the tut, too! lOL

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-05-31, 6:35am

Thanks!!!

(website in construction)
Old 2006-05-31, 8:42am

I am a nail tech parttime and have long pink and whites and todate havent burnt any of them. I have of course have burnt just about every other part of my body but not my nails!!!!
Old 2006-05-31, 11:00am

I am laughing that this has turned into a post about nails, but it was also my first thought when I saw the pictures! I thought she cannot possibly be a lampworker because my manicure went WAY out the window when I started working with glass!
Old 2006-06-04, 12:49pm
Stacy Frost

Dark aqua looks great too.
Old 2006-06-07, 12:38am
Glass Lover

Hmmmmm, sounds like there might be a market for Kevlar FingerNails.

Great Tute too by the way.

Last edited by BarbR; 2008-02-09 at 5:50pm.
Old 2006-06-07, 2:35am

bwwaaahhahahaaa This thread is a hoot

First off I have to say i LOVE the tut Lynn! THANK YOU@ I use that method for my cane but I hadn't thought to use that comination of colors, so i am off to try it!

2nd, Yup LOVE LOVE LOVE the nails LOL

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-06-09, 4:09pm

Default Vine Cane / Miss Licky-Kitty & the Katnip Kapers

Ok Lynn, Thank you for the tutorial, here is the result of my using your Tutorial (don't blame Lynn if it doesn't look right! LOL)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8946375904

I called loco to ask for help writing this auction. She promptly named Miss Licky-Kitty and told me to go write her entire story VERY quickly, just in case someone wanted to sue me for the Krazy Kitty's actions!
LOL

Check her out!

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2006-06-09, 4:27pm
Back from the Dark Side

Woohoo Lynnie!! Awesome job woman Thanks for showing me

~
~
~
Old 2006-06-10, 8:36am

Default Vine by Lynn Larson

Hi Lynn,
I don't do lamp working yet, but I read all the tutorials because the whole process is just so intriguing. With that said, I think I could follow your tutorial w/o any problem. Very well done, thanks, Marie
Old 2006-06-10, 10:58am
CA Queen Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHallGlass
Great tutorial Lynn! Thanks so much!

Bek
Yeah but do you know how to spork?

Great tutorial Lynn, and can I just say you have pretty hands and nails?

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!

Last edited by Rhapsody Fire Beads; 2006-06-10 at 11:00am.