Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-02-25, 9:19pm

Default crowly marver

Does anyone use the Crowley marver with the mini cc torch. If so I'd appreciate your comments.

Karen

ripzz

Last edited by volkanokaren; 2015-02-26 at 7:43am. Reason: spelling
Old 2015-02-26, 8:11am

I had one when I was using the mini, when I sold it the marver went with it. I loved it. It's a nice thin marver (something I've been trying to find for the Cuda and failing), so it's not bulky sitting on top. I used it for everything from warming murrini to frit and enamels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-02-26, 12:30pm

Thanks Rebecca, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Karen

ripzz
Old 2015-02-27, 7:48am

Yup. I have had mine for years & years. It is great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Back in my day, we had nine planets.
Old 2015-02-27, 9:55am
honorary bead lady

I've used it on the mini cc at Glass Stock West, for what I tend to make I find that the clips on the sides (that hold it in place) get in the way, this would easily be solved with a thicker piece of graphite, if you are only rolling beads on the flat top this would not be a problem, but if you want to use the edge it is.
Old 2015-02-27, 10:18am

Thanks all. I like the fact that the marver sits flat, not slanted backwards.Getting a quote right now.

Karen

ripzz
Old 2015-02-27, 10:19am
just another glass addict

I loved it when I used a mini...I love the adjustability of it. I have also used the aftermarket ones and the crowley marver is much bigger and stays on the torch better (and did I mention it was adjustable?)!

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2015-02-27, 12:30pm

I have a mini CC with the Crowley marver. When I first had it, the metal on the side of the marver bugged me, as David said, as I liked to use the side of the marver for the side of the bead. I've gotten used to it, though, and adapted how I work. I really like the large surface area.

When I first had it, I had no idea what the big cross-shaped hole underneath the graphite was. Then I saw someone from Carlisle at Bead Fest, and all of the other graphite shapes that can be used in combination with it. How cool is that!?! I only have the marble mold, but there are so many other options to go with it. The marble mold, and probably the others, also provide a lot of surface area on the side, too.
Old 2015-02-27, 1:55pm

Neat.

Karen

ripzz
Old 2015-03-02, 1:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelliegirl View Post
I have a mini CC with the Crowley marver. When I first had it, the metal on the side of the marver bugged me, as David said, as I liked to use the side of the marver for the side of the bead. I've gotten used to it, though, and adapted how I work. I really like the large surface area.

When I first had it, I had no idea what the big cross-shaped hole underneath the graphite was. Then I saw someone from Carlisle at Bead Fest, and all of the other graphite shapes that can be used in combination with it. How cool is that!?! I only have the marble mold, but there are so many other options to go with it. The marble mold, and probably the others, also provide a lot of surface area on the side, too.
The Crowley marver is one of the few marvers on the market that doesn't mount to the torch barrel. This means that you can move the torch without moving the marver, and you can move the marver without moving the torch. Mind you, it only works with the following Carlisle torches: Mini CC, Wildcat, and Hellcat.

The Crowley marver is designed so that the marver pad is swapable. This means you can flip the pad over, or replace it with another pad. When the Crowley marver first came out, it had only a flat piece of graphite. But, when Ruth Nichole's "The Perfect Tool" system came out, they replaced the flat pad with a TPT (The Perfect Tool) base pad. This means, you can use the flat side of the pad as a flat marver, or you can flip it over (and have the cross shaped hole facing up), and now use any of the TPT marver pads (we carry a lot of these).

The Crowley marver may be a little more expensive than some of the 'clamp to the torch barrel' marvers, but is a much better marver.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2015-03-03, 5:41pm

Thanks for your input Malcolm. Much appreciated.

Karen

ripzz
Old 2015-03-07, 4:01pm
The second time around...

Off topic, but since you all use or have used a mini CC, I have a question. Just lit my new one today, and after about an hour of making beads, the torch itself was very hot. Do yours get really hot? Could it be caused by too short candles? Appreciate any help you can give me.

Luann
Old 2015-03-08, 9:27am

Luann, your candles should be about 3/8" on the mini CC for soft glass neutral setting. It's fine to dial them down for detail work, but not for too long.

Mimi
Old 2015-03-08, 9:30am
old fart

go to the hardware store and buy some granite squares....way better marver than a piece of graphite

Old 2015-03-09, 2:33pm
The second time around...

Thanks. I've tried everything. longer candles. more oxy. Still gets really hot, all the way to the hoses. I think I'm giving up and getting a different torch.
Old 2015-03-09, 3:03pm

Maybe try calling Carlisle and see if they can suggest something? I've heard of this problem before, but I haven't experienced it on mine-- I hope they can help.

Mimi
Old 2015-03-10, 11:11am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

they do get hot but it should not be back that far.

Mike Crowley

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.