Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-04-12, 3:48pm
yukue fumei

Default Graphite kiln liner

Anyone use these?
I just ordered one but am curious if anyone has one and how they like it...
thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-04-12, 3:50pm
Boro Brat

I've been thinking about ordering one, too...I'll be interesed to hear what people think of it

Old 2007-04-12, 5:26pm
Save the Numbats

Sure, they are great. if you keep your kiln above1050 at all though, they disintegrate over a week or two.

I found some guy selling graphite discs on ebay made form the same material... he said his friend had a gasket company, and the discs were the leftovers from punching a big gasket. This stuff is made from compressed graphite powder. Don't know if he's still around ... his ebay id was... um, uh ... 'dickcmdr'.

Anyway, sure, it's nice stuff. I don't have much use for it now as I don't make many larger pieces so I don't get it any longer. There are other things you can use, like the fusing fiber fabric (not fusing paper - the textured stuff), boro plate glass, ceramic tiles, and .. hmmm.. probably other stuff.

Last edited by Juln; 2007-04-12 at 5:30pm.
Old 2007-04-12, 6:02pm
product of the universe

Quote:
Sure, they are great. if you keep your kiln above1050 at all though, they disintegrate over a week or two.
This has not been my experience with this stuff. It does break down over time but i get like 6 months out of a piece. when i'm doing large stuff and am in and out of the kiln i turn it up past 1100. When my relay went and the kiln went up past 2200 it turned it to dust basicly.

Also when i got my large square i cut it into four pieces and placed it where glass i would be working on rests in the kiln. If you don't wanna mess with kiln dust on your glass this is the stuff to get.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2007-04-12, 6:13pm
yukue fumei

Thanks so much for your replies--this is exactly what I was looking for.
I wonder if the difference between disintegrating and holding up is the regular vs high density graphite?
I will keep notes on how it holds up. I do anneal above 1050F and strike at 1100F but not for long periods of time. It was a good price though, and if I can avoid that wacky kiln dust it will be awesome!

nagi

Old 2007-04-12, 7:11pm
product of the universe

I got mine from abr i don't know if its high density or not. But youll definatley be happy not dealing with the kiln dust.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2007-04-12, 10:27pm
Save the Numbats

I never go above 1100... and mine sure did disintegrate into weird red dust. Only at the back of the kiln, an Aim 99... the front is so much cooler that I can anneal soft glass without slumping, and the graphite there stays the same forever. Some kinds I had fell apart at different rates. I guess I don't know how many days or weeks it took.
Kiln temps and pyrometer read outs vary, i guess.
My friend was convinced he always kilned to 1350... turned out he had the pyrometer sticking in all the way. It's hard to compare exact temps.

Anyway, get the graphite, , you'll love it!

Last edited by Juln; 2007-04-12 at 10:29pm.
Old 2007-04-13, 6:54am

i spoke to the company they are not meant for boro temps, fine for soda lime.not that you cant use them they just will break down faster.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-04-13, 10:14am

We got the bright idea to try a high density piece of graphite as a kiln shelf for fusing. It turned in to a chocolately mess. It took us a long time to clean up the mess, as the dust got everywhere.

Steve

Old 2007-04-13, 10:25am
Macaw Mamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWright View Post
We got the bright idea to try a high density piece of graphite as a kiln shelf for fusing. It turned in to a chocolately mess. It took us a long time to clean up the mess, as the dust got everywhere.

Steve
Thanks for posting this Steve

I was wondering about using this for fusing, sorry for your mess, but you did save me lots of trouble

LOL!!!!

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2007-04-13, 10:39am

We have had a graphite liner in our kilns since the flame off in New Mexico, several years ago and its been great I have had to replace it but believe it was over a year of good use before the back of it was starting to break up
Old 2007-04-13, 2:58pm
yukue fumei

Cool-
thanks for all the info!!!
I don't expect it to last a super long time but 6 months to a year would be perfect.
hi sunray!
Juln-I reread your post and will look into the ceramic tiles....I have some boro plate glass....that sounds like a good alternative-thanks!

nagi

Old 2007-04-13, 6:25pm
i'm not dave

i use a graphite pad for fusing. got it from winship designs in oregon. cut it to size w/a jigsaw (lots of dust). works great. its NOT a liner but a 1/4" thick slab. so far has lasted thru at least 20 firings and i suspect there are a good 30-50 more left in it.
Old 2007-04-15, 6:30am

drew fritts uses popcorn salt to nestle his marbles in, i havent tried it yet, but interesting. stops them from rolling around without imprinting on them, finer than setting on fiber blanket. he uses it in a steel tray.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-04-15, 8:15am
yukue fumei

thanks so much Ro and Dave!
Really good info to have

nagi

Old 2007-04-15, 10:11am
addicted to the flame

There are many different grades of graphite and binders because I have seen graphite crucibles for casting non-ferrous metals. Some of those temperatures reach nearly 2700F. In that case, the binder is either a type of clay, silicon carbide, or some other thing. I'm sure, if you did a search on the web, you could find a high-temperature graphite that would fit your needs. The range of graphite products is truly astounding -- don't limit yourself to glass-supply houses.
Old 2007-04-15, 10:56am
yukue fumei

WOW!
Awesome info Barb!
thank you so much!!

nagi