No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-04-18, 7:35pm
Catnip Pusher

Default Elektra Driving Me Crazy!

I can't get it to work! Actually, let me rephrase that - it looks great going into the kiln, and looks like plain old transparent blue coming out.

It is driving me absolutely bugf***!!! I've tried reducing lightly, reducing heavily, soaking longer, soaking shorter - nothing seems to make any difference! I know my kiln isn't hot enough to cause this change (the DH website says 1050 and above, mine is definitely under 1000), so what am I doing wrong?

Aimee
Old 2007-04-19, 6:09am
Rose colored glasses…√

I wish I could help you; I sure hope someone can answer. Since I tend to make tiny beads, I've not been "annealing them to specs" so to speak, so that I keep the iridescence. I don't correctly anneal my lauscha galaxy, iceberg, or whatever the heck you call it, either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-04-19, 7:09am
Sorry for party rockin'

Hey Aimee -- I feel your pain. I have some Elektra too and have made mostly blue beads with it Hopefully somebody can help with some tips on this color!!!

Old 2007-04-19, 10:02am
da General

Aimee, Chris and Ginny,

I am hosting the Silver Color How-To and Exchange and got this tip from David (woodnrock) - he made a couple of beads with Elektra that are very colorful!

Based on the exchange, I am compiling a booklet with pictures and tips and will make it available for all LE members in pdf format if you provide me with your email address (file is large so you will need fast internet connection). Look for it in May!

Name:  David_Elektra_2b.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  76.3 KB
Name:  David_Elektra_2a.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  68.8 KB
"• Base of transparent cobalt with smears of Elektra, melt in smooth and press.
• Reduction flame with long (1-2 inches) candles, work the bead at the tip of the candles.
• After 3 minutes, change to oxidizing flame and burn away the color of the Elektra
• Repeat 3 or more times, you will see the coppery red color
• Watch for any rainbow iridescence to show
• Bead was held in the kiln @ 960 for 4 hours

Name:  David_Elektra_1a.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  67.9 KB
• Barrel base of Moretti black with 4 stripes of Elektra stringers from end to end, melt in
• Superheat the center until it sags, gravity twirl it
• Reheat and flatten
• Reduction flame, hold one side just above candles until the Electra stripes turn to the silver-blue-green stage
• Repeat for the other side
• Repeat both sides until coppery red color starts to appear, the more you repeat, the redder it gets
• Bead was held in th ekiln @960 for 3 hours."

Hope that helps. Perhaps you will join my exchange when I do it again in a couple of months!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-04-19, 7:46pm
Catnip Pusher

Thanks Hayley. I tried out the suggestions today, so tomorrow morning I'll see if they made a difference! It's not like I'm incompetent or anything - I can make Gaia, Nyx, Olympia Rain, and sometimes Aion work for me. Elektra just has me stumped.

Aimee
Old 2007-04-19, 7:52pm
da General

Aimee,

I think it has a lot to do with your torch chemistry! . . . and the moon phase and where Mercury and Mars are in the sky! I know what you mean . . . I still have trouble with daVinci I and it sings for you so beautifully.

Let us know! We love to see pix!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-04-20, 5:55am
Life is change. Love it

I'm with you Aimee, I can work with all the other silver colours from DH, but this one has me stumped.

Old 2007-04-20, 6:24pm
East Texas Piney Woods

Hello
Gee, it's nice of Hayley to show my bead and quote me. My head size has increased about 5 sizes already. There's one thing missing in that description that might help you. I was alternating beteen the reducing flame and an extreme oxidizing flame, over and over. After many steps the red starts showing up. Good Luck!

David
Atlanta (Texas, that is)
Old 2007-04-20, 6:35pm
Catnip Pusher

Well, yesterday's attempt didn't work. I tried again today, coincidently using the technique you describe David! I figured, what the heck, I'll just see if I can overdo it!

Stay tuned tomorrow for the next exciting installment!

Aimee
Old 2007-04-20, 6:35pm
da General

David,

Thank you for the correction! I will make sure that it's in the booklet! I can't wait to try Elektra your way this weekend!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-04-24, 11:17pm
Catnip Pusher

This is how my final Elektra bead came out:

Not quite what I was looking for, though interesting in its own right. I am sure I remember someone managed to get the iridescence to last through annealing, but of course I cannot remember who/where/what. *sigh* Old age.

Aimee
Old 2007-04-25, 2:12am

It's still a very nice bead, you have to admit. It's beautiful
Old 2007-04-25, 5:21am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
This is how my final Elektra bead came out:

Not quite what I was looking for, though interesting in its own right. I am sure I remember someone managed to get the iridescence to last through annealing, but of course I cannot remember who/where/what. *sigh* Old age.

Aimee
I think it's lovely!! I also think Lara, a/k/a The Opal Yellow Goddess, a/k/a The Gaia Goddess, has been able to keep the iridescence. (I spell checked "iridescence" but it still doesn't look right!)

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-04-25, 6:43am
Sorry for party rockin'

Thanks for the info Hayley and David
I'd LOVE a copy of your booklet to keep all of the techniques straight .. .. I'll PM my contact info to ya!

Old 2007-04-25, 7:30am
da General

Aimee,

That's gorgeous! I tried playing with Elektra this weekend and got some colors but after I encased it, the reds went away.

I did it a little different from David - since the glass bubbles like Kandinsky, I used it with a slightly reduction flame and the colors, like Kandinksy, immediately starts. Then I reduced as David's tips and got the reds and the tans.

I will try again without encasing next.

Ginny - added you to the list!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-05-10, 4:29am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Default Yesterday 's first try with Electra

Here are some I did with Electra on a white base...not sure if this is what it is supposed to do, but thought it was pretty cool.

must practice more! There are just a few spots of coral/red.
Old 2007-05-17, 1:28am
Entropy increasing....

This is Electra and ivory. Those are the only two colors in this bead. If this isn't what it's supposed to look like, I don't care. lol

Old 2007-05-17, 8:47am

Kevan those are absolutely stunning Girl!

Old 2008-02-18, 5:56pm
Lover of all things color

Did Hayley ever get the booklet done? I am having trouble with the annealing also. Did anyone else figure this out?

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con