Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-03-11, 7:27am
boro color bender

Wow! Those are nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-12, 5:53am
what's a senior moment ?

Man, there are some really cool hearts here ! I just cannot wait to get some color !!!!!!!!!!
I played with clear (all I have right now) yesterday and as I have mentioned before - I AM TOTALLY HOOKED ON BORO !
Clear one is boro. Blue is soft glass. Had to try both ways. First time using your tut Brent. I have to say, the boro was easier for me. It's not perfect but almost ! lol !
Thanks for the tut ! I cannot wait to do more !
Debbie A.
Sorry 'bout crappy photo ! Had a heck of time with the clear !

Old 2006-03-14, 5:17pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
Hate me because I won this and you didn't!
I just got one of Mr Smileys boro pendants on ebay and
it is 100x more beautiful in my hot little hands.
You totally rock, Brent!

When are you going to be teaching in
California so all us hippie-chicks and surfer-dudes (and Surfer-chicks and hippie-dudes)
can come take a class from you? You can crash on my couch (just gotta shove the puppies off).

Karen Hardy
Old 2006-03-14, 7:20pm
borobucaneer

Default ?

Here are some hearts I have made in the past(all are at LEAST a year old). L. Baylie

Last edited by baylie; 2006-03-14 at 7:25pm. Reason: mistake
Old 2006-03-15, 3:11am
boro color bender

Karen... I am so glad you like it and thanks for the support. My pictures kinda suck compared to the real thing huh... I'd rather it be that way. then you are pleasantly surprised... Set something up for me to teach at. I have a torch and will travel. What teaching studios are out there? i don't push puppies off, I snuggle with 'em.

Baylie made it to LE... Woop woop!!! Welcome! Those are some very nice hearts man. Cool little bottle too. Make yourself at home. If you have any questions, just ask.

Here's a tip... Write a tutorial and the ladies will love you... do a picture tutorial and you may not make it out alive. Remember Elvis fans... yeah, it would be like that.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-15, 2:04pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Problem is, all the studios use a HH or a minor and are worried about teaching boro on it. Personally, I do boro on a minor with a concentrator, so I'm not too worried myself. I'm working on setting up a basic boro class for another teacher at the local lampwork shop themandrel.com (hi Donna, if you're lurking around here!). If the class goes well, I'd do handstands to get you to do another boro class.

I'm hoping to do the class before November, so if you're serious about wanting to come out here and teach, PM me after that and I'll be thrilled to get something off the ground for you here.

Karen Hardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Karen... I am so glad you like it and thanks for the support. My pictures kinda suck compared to the real thing huh... I'd rather it be that way. then you are pleasantly surprised... Set something up for me to teach at. I have a torch and will travel. What teaching studios are out there? i don't push puppies off, I snuggle with 'em.

Old 2006-03-15, 3:54pm
Type ZZZ personality

Here are the hearts I did. They turned out pretty good I think. Great tute, Smiley-man! I still suck at loops. I may just have to make a bead and put a whole bunch of loops on it to practice. The loop actually broke off of the blue one, which sucks cuz I like it the best!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-03-18, 4:31pm
boro color bender

Aren't you coming to my class next weekend? If so, I'll have you making perfect loops in no time. We are going to start with a loop excersise, so the pieces you guys make have nice ones on them. I've got 3 ways to make loops. I'm sure you'll love at least one. The hearts look awesome. I can give you a few more pointers in person.

Old 2006-03-19, 10:36am
Type ZZZ personality

Quote:
Aren't you coming to my class next weekend?
Yup! and I can't wait!! As the forecast looks, you won't need your parka, but... considering you're a Florida wuss, you may need it after all. I'll be there in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt... not!

Old 2006-04-11, 7:39pm
Still makin' flowers...

Hey, Brent, I had some difficulty with the hearts in the Moretti, so today I dragged out my little sampler of Nothstar color and I'm a convert! I'll be spending all the rest of my paycheck on boro now... How does silver foil n'stuff react with Pyrex? Anyhow, we'll see what really happened when I open the kiln tomorrow morning...

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2006-04-13, 11:08am
ManBearPig

I haven't had any luck using foil with boro. The heat required seems to make the foil burn out no matter how careful with it you are...

Old 2006-04-13, 11:15am
San Diego Toni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy
If the class goes well, I'd do handstands to get you to do another boro class.
Karen Hardy
If you get smiley to come to so cal - count me in!!!!!! SERIOUSLY!
I'll keep an eye on the mandrel website too!

toni
Old 2006-04-13, 11:51am
Type ZZZ personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahRachel
Hey, Brent, I had some difficulty with the hearts in the Moretti, so today I dragged out my little sampler of Nothstar color and I'm a convert! I'll be spending all the rest of my paycheck on boro now... How does silver foil n'stuff react with Pyrex? Anyhow, we'll see what really happened when I open the kiln tomorrow morning...
Okay, Hannah, let's see 'em!

Old 2006-04-13, 12:10pm
boro color bender

Yeah, let's see them.

Old 2006-05-13, 6:03pm
glass backwards

Smile

Quote:
Step one, get yourself a ball of glass one the end of a punty. The design is up to you.

Next, squish it flat like a lollipop... different thickness will yield different hearts.

This is the super secret step I've never revealed before... take a pair of $1 scissors from the office supply store (plastic handles, stainless blades). Heat up the gather again and cut it from top to bottom of the pancake.

Now you put it back in the fire and shape... This is easier shown than explained, so hopefully I can get some pics...

When you have the lobes the shape you want, hang the whole thing upside down and turn in the flame. Direct most of the heat towards the bottom and let droop. The top lobes will fall together and the bottom will stretch out.

Once you have the general shape you want, you just have to put on a loop. Normally one lobe is higher and that's the one I put the loop on.

For the loop, I put about a half inch of rod on the spot I want the hoop to be on. Then I heat the glass and flip with pliers into a loop. Again, this would be easier to show than to tell.

Melt in the backside of the loop and reheat to shape as desired.

Now, punty up with a cold weld to the loop.

Pull off and shape the bottom of the heart, hold loop with pliers or tweezers and snap off cold welded punty. Fire polish the punty mark and behold the beauty you just made...

Hello...
I found your tutorial on hearts and i've seen your pics and i love them...but i'm new to lampworking and i may be dense but i don't quite get what your saying...do you have a picture tutorial ?

thanks
Leann
Old 2006-05-17, 7:03am
boro color bender

Leann, just play and try what you think it may mean. You'll discover so much about glass just playing. I know some people are visual, but I just don't have the time right now to do a picture tutorial. I was supposed to be getting some pics from a demo I did... but I haven't seen them. You know how it goes. If you've got specific questions, I'm happy to help.

Old 2006-05-17, 7:14am
ManBearPig

I meant to take some pics of Brent making a heart a few weeks ago in Asheville. We had our new camera with us the whole time, and never got it out of the car...

Old 2006-05-19, 12:35am
San Diego Toni

Default Finally!

I finally made one worth showing...My 6th try and I like it!

Thanks Brent - each time I learn something new about the process.

toni
Attached Images

Old 2006-05-19, 3:05am
boro color bender

Awesome heart Toni... this heart tech really does show us how to use minimal tools to shape glass. Once you learn to shape with heat and gravity, you can make a whole lot of things easier. I am so glad you're getting something out of it.

Old 2006-06-11, 9:55pm

I may not be able to make beads worth selling, but I was quite proud of my first off mandrel heart.......till I dropped it.

Now it is my first off mandrel broken heart.

Old 2006-06-12, 5:54am
boro color bender

Belinda... it's cool! I like the fractures. I'll bet the light passing through really dances now. Hang it in a window and try again.

Old 2006-06-12, 10:34pm

whoo hoo, check it out Mr. Smiley.

Lucky heart #3 (moretti glass). And no cracks!

Old 2006-07-06, 1:54pm
Flossy-Flossy

Mr. Smiley...

Thanks for sharing your talent with us. I had to fire up the torch and try a few hearts. I think I have a couple of beauties! I will know for sure when I look in my kiln tomorrow!

Again...Much thanks!

Old 2006-07-11, 10:40am
Crunchy ol' Momma

This is probably a stupid question - but how do you position these hearts in the kiln? Do they lay on something or are you hanging them by their loops on mandrels? I need to know before I start trying these.
Old 2006-07-17, 5:10am
Still makin' flowers...

Default Making Loops

Leann asked a question regarding photos and it really turned out it was the loops that were a problem, so I wrote the following to her... I'm sure there are tons of ways to do them, but this is what works for me. She uses a HH and soft glass, but its all the same -

Use clear glass for the first few times since its so stiff over the HH. Before you pull off the tip of the heart, add the loop to one side of the bumps on top.

Start by heating up one of the bumps onto which you'll add the loop. Then, heat a dollop of clear, and attach the two together. Pull the clear at a 45 degree angle from the heart, as if you are pulling a thick clear stringer. Make certain that you pull this OUTSIDE of the flame, and pull very slowly.

Melt off this thick clear stringer at about 1 1/2 inches.

Now, turn your hothead down as low as you can without it going out. THIS IS THE TRICK! Heat the stringer section closest to where it attaches to the heart, You only want to heat a little tiny bit of the stringer, and only enough to barely make it move when you grab it with tweezers. Remember not to put your tweezers into the flame. Work your way down the length of the stringer, going back and forth between the loop and the actual heart so the heart stays flame annealed and doesn't get too cold, until you are at the very end. Then hit the place where the loop end attaches to the heart with your flame.

Flame anneal the whole piece, pull off the punty, and pop the heart into the kiln.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2006-07-17 at 5:26am.
Old 2006-07-17, 10:06am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Default Loops and cracked in half...

I am so a newbie but wanted to give this a shot...they are really beautiful.

I have made 4 and the loop is the toughest part. I tried doing it this last way by putting a dab of clear and trying to pull a stringer, etc., but the stringer got too thin (pulling too fast, me thinks)....so I tried another method...

I laid the heart to the side and quickly wrapped a clear loop on a mandrel and then attached that to the heart. I suppose without a kiln, I shouldn't have laid it to the side, or? That is the reason that 2 cracked in half?

Any thoughts?
I got the idea of the loop on a mandrel from an implosion pendant tutorial that I had read and in it the artist said it was ok to lay the pendant to the side for a few seconds....

Should I have put it in vermiculite until ready....or if I had a kiln, laying it in there for a few seconds would do the trick?

Thanks guys!
Old 2006-07-18, 12:27pm
NW Oregon

Here are two of my three attempts. The blue one is cracked. It was a bit stressful figuring out how to coordinate the steps. I'm mostly afraid that the hemostats that I use to hold the heart, while I make the loop, will melt into the glass so I didn't bring the whole piece up to temperature well enough on the blue one. I need to play until I get more confident and I want more graceful "tails" on them. Brent; thanks for this tutorial. It is fun to work from the rod rather than a mandrel.

dk teal with raku

cobalt blue

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2006-07-30, 2:51pm

Default moretti help

for those of you that have done these hearts in soft glass.....what did you use to punty up to the heart with? I don't have boro clear...so whats the next best thing? Thanks for your help
Old 2006-12-26, 2:50am
boro color bender

You can use a soft glass rod if that's all you've got. It just becomes a permanent weld much easier... so be careful how much heat you give it.

OK folks... it's about time for the heart holiday... thought I'd bring this thread back to life and open up for your questions. If I don't answer here, just PM me. I'll try to check back often.

Old 2006-12-26, 2:52am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiacat View Post
Here are two of my three attempts. The blue one is cracked. It was a bit stressful figuring out how to coordinate the steps. I'm mostly afraid that the hemostats that I use to hold the heart, while I make the loop, will melt into the glass so I didn't bring the whole piece up to temperature well enough on the blue one. I need to play until I get more confident and I want more graceful "tails" on them. Brent; thanks for this tutorial. It is fun to work from the rod rather than a mandrel.

dk teal with raku

cobalt blue
The graceful ends will come in time. It's all about heat control... don't put the tip "in" the flame... just next to it or pull it through the flame quickly. These are awesome! Make more!