No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2007-10-02, 8:35pm
Just me

Default Taramag's no fail stripes bead

Hi all,
I started a thread in the bathroom out of frustration and disgust over stripe beads. Tara (taramag) posted a great how to with her no fail method and I didn't want it to be flushed forever, especially after she was so nice to have taken the time to write it all out for us. So I am copying and pasting that post here for everyone else who has about gone bald trying to make these most frustrating beads.

I am going to try it out tomorrow and will post my attempts here as well.

Thanks again Tara!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramag View Post
Here's how you do it - the NO-FAIL METHOD!!

Make a small, very thin disc bead. I'm talking 2 wraps around the mandrel, and the bead should only be about 2-3mm wide. (If you can't work on a base that small, that's ok. Add more clear but keep the bead in the thin disk shape. Don't go wider.)

Now, place your dots as wide as or almost as wide as the disk. Don't leave them raised - I've seen a tut like that and it's probably more difficult. Melt them in almost all the way. Just so you know, you can melt them flat, but may have issues later depending on your experience and heat-control.

Ok, now get a rod a bit wider than your bead... 5-6mm would be good. Wrap the clear around the center of your disk twice (or 3 times if you prefer). Flash in the flame but don't melt yet. Make another smaller wrap of clear on each side of the disk, touching the clear that's already on there ONLY. In other words, wrap clear on clear on the left, and then again on the right. Do not touch the base bead.

Now you're going to melt the clear but pay attention - first melt the clear on 1 side just a bit... just so it's starting to melt into the clear in the center. Don't go too far or your bead will get too hot. Do the same for the other side. You don't have to melt it all the way.

Now, holding the bead straight and in the center, begin to melt only the clear in the flame, either by holding it above or below the flame. (you could let it cool a bit before this step - again, depends on your heat-control). Keep rotating slowly, heating and melting just the clear. If your base is getting too hot, stop and let it cool and then continue. You'll begin to see the dots spread.

Once it's mostly melted down, you can either put the whole bead in the flame to finish the melting and round it out, or let it cool and then do this. This part depends on heat-control so you decide. You don't want to get everything too hot or your stripes will move. Viola! A striped bead!!!

With this method, your clear will go all the way to the holes on both sides. Nothing should be sticking out. You could also try it without the wraps on the sides. Be sure to add more than 1 layer of clear to the center, at least 3. The trick is to make a thin disk then encase with a wider rod that completely covers the bead and then some.

If for some reason your clear doesn't go to the hole on one side, then add a small wrap of clear on that side touching the clear ONLY. Aim the flame at the wrap and that side of the bead. Don't melt it in the center and don't get the base hot, just the wrap. Next time, be sure to put the encasing on evenly and more importantly, melt it down evenly. That seems to be the issue when you have base showing on 1 side but not the other.

So, does this all make sense? Did I do a good job explaining it? Hope so. If you have any questions, please let me know!

Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-10-03, 6:25am

Thanks for doing this! I was SO tired and in so much pain last night I didn't care about anything, lol!

Yes, please post pics! And that goes for anyone else who tries this - good or bad. If they're not good, then you'll get help on how to make them good. And ask questions. Okey dokey?

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-10-04, 12:29pm

oh cool, im gonna try it, will let ya know how i get on
thanks for sharing x

WEBSITE--

BLOG--

Angie x
Old 2007-10-04, 10:01pm
Just me

Here are my attempts at making stripe beads. The good the bad and the ugly.
The first three I didn't follow Tara's method closely but the blue bead, which turned out the best I did!

The first bead on the left you can see the encasing pulled to one side pretty badly.
The second bead is better but still pulled to one side.
The third bead encased well enough but was wonky so I tried to round it out by heating it up and went too far. Lost my stripes.
The fourth bead is the bead I made using Tara's method of striping clear on the sides after the two initial wraps of clear.

What my major problems are:
First, I am having a difficult time winding on the clear wraps evenly and end up with one side heavier in clear and wonky. With the blue bead I added clear to the light side (that had less clear) but didn't add enough I guess because it's still a little bit wonky. This is what I am going to have to practice the most.

Second is my clear pulls to one side. With the blue bead I made sure to use my graphite paddle as a rest to lay my mandrel across to keep it level and this helped somewhat. Still pulled to one side but I added more clear to that side like Tara suggested.

I chose to use blue as the core so I could keep an eye on it making sure it didn't heat up. Blue glass will change to a pinkish purplish color when heated so it was easy to tell when it was getting warm.

Other tips that helped a lot.

The dots: keep them consistant sizes, not too big and melt them in most of the way. Make sure they are completely covered to the edge, but not over, with the clear when you wind it on.

Winding on clear:
Ginny mentioned in the bathroom thread that you should keep your clear wraps as wide as your base not thinner.

Suzanne mentioned melting the clear on top of the flame instead of under. This made a huge difference in keeping my core cool.

I think that about covers it what I've learned so far. I will be continuing to practice these beads and will post more when I get a chance to get back to the torch.

Thanks again Tara!

Old 2007-10-04, 10:45pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Bubby you did a great job!!!! See.... I told you you could do it!!!

Now for the first three, the reason why your stripes are not perfectly straight is that the core got to hot and started shifting wich can be really cool if you like to have a feathered encased beads ( let it droop and melt it back round again )

Old 2007-10-05, 1:43am

AHHHH HELL! When I die I know I will go tot hell and I will have to make these beads over and over again til I get them right. Damn it. Now Suzanne -- don't go addin' flair til I can get these right! Damn it nothin but wonkies out of the kiln.
Jen
Old 2007-10-05, 9:52am
Just me

Thanks Suzanne, you were a tremendous help. I appreciate you sharing your experience and encouragement. I was about ready to yank all my hair out trying these stupid beads!
I now have a much better understanding of how they work and what I'm doing wrong. I just need to get the technical skills down to do it consistantly! Easy peasy right? Getting the clear wraps on correctly is what's really causing me the most grief. I'll get it though!
I'll try the feathered encased bead next time a stripe bead gets away from me. I'm sure I'll have plenty of the feathered kind while I practice this!

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-10-05 at 9:59am. Reason: I don't make sense
Old 2007-10-18, 6:14pm
Just me

Okay I just want to share that I am still working on encased stripes and am showing improvement.
I have a few more done but no pictures yet.
It takes me so long to make them so I don't get but a couple done at a torch session and my failure rate is still kinda high. I melt the clear in really, really, really, slow so some beads can take 30-45 minutes. Too slow! Still figuring out when enough heat is too much.
Here's the latest one I did using CIM Bordello base and Kronos dots, the bordello is pretty dark in this pic.
Taking pictures is a whole other kettle of fish! More learning.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-10-18 at 11:02pm.
Old 2007-10-19, 5:03am
Anyone need some spacers?

Thanks so much for pulling this from getting flushed. I have tried like you over and over to do these and knew I was missing something!

Old 2007-10-19, 9:41am
Just me

Oh I forgot to add the pictures of the feathered encased beads Suzanne mentioned making in her post, to salvage beads that got too hot.
I have a feeling I"m going to be making a lot of these.
They look pretty cool in your hand!

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-10-19 at 9:46am.
Old 2007-10-19, 9:46am
Just me

I hope you try them and get them down.
They've been an exercise in frustration and patience for sure but now that I understand how they work I'm getting much better results. Still need practice to get the technical skills down but at least I know what I'm doing wrong now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bead_bug View Post
Thanks so much for pulling this from getting flushed. I have tried like you over and over to do these and knew I was missing something!

Old 2007-10-19, 1:03pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Bubby they are awesome! I love the look of the feathered beads , they have so much dept in them!

Old 2007-10-19, 4:10pm
Burning Fingers!

Bubby - well done on your striped beads. I am absolutely useless when it comes to making striped beads, but I love the look of those feathered ones, so maybe it won't be all lost when I try again. I will just have to take it one step further and "feather" them all.

/
/
/

Old 2007-10-19, 4:34pm
FatCat Mama

I can't tell you how many tuts I've read trying to get these striped beads down. Now, after reading this one, here are three of my newest beads:

Like Bubby, I'm taking these verrrry slowly, and that's making all the difference. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Teri P

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2007-10-19, 5:02pm
It's all good.

Thanks for the tut, I have trouble with them as well.... I can't wait to try it tomorrow!
-Peg

Old 2007-10-19, 5:14pm
Just me

Thanks for telling me about these Suzanne!
I really love the way they look. Kind of like an encased little pinwheel in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
Bubby they are awesome! I love the look of the feathered beads , they have so much dept in them!

Old 2007-10-19, 5:17pm
Just me

Those are awesome Teri! I really like the colors you chose in the last two pics.
What did you use in the first bead? Looks cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri.p View Post
I can't tell you how many tuts I've read trying to get these striped beads down. Now, after reading this one, here are three of my newest beads:

Like Bubby, I'm taking these verrrry slowly, and that's making all the difference. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Teri P

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-10-19 at 5:19pm.
Old 2007-10-19, 6:13pm
FatCat Mama

Thanks Bubby. The dots were made using a stringer of Aion encased in rubino encased in Aion. I love the reaction between rubino and Aion.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2007-10-19, 8:56pm
Noobie

Old 2007-10-20, 6:26am

WOW! You guys are doing great! What an improvement!!

Bubby - about the clear - if you don't get it wrapped on evenly at first, you can add a tiny bit more to the problem area before you melt the whole thing down. Also, if it's coming out wonky and uneven, try to adjust your hand and where you hold the bead in the heat. I have a feeling that a lot of your issues are coming from your heat control. You may be holding the bead just a bit "off" even though it looks straight to you. Have someone else watch you make a bead. It helps!!

I'm so happy you guys are enjoying and using this tut!!!!! Keep it up and keep posting pics. The beads I see in here are awesome!

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-10-21, 3:44pm
Wendy

Thanks so much for saving this. (Added to my tutorial bookmarks.) I have the most trouble with encasing beads! It's definitely a heat control issue when I'm doing them so this will be great practice.

Once I've finished my project for the kids in Graham I'm going to try this one.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2007-10-23, 10:42am
Smile, it's contagious!

Thanks Bubby & Tara! I had some success with this tut too!! I think next time, I'll try less wraps of clear though. It took FOREVER to get it to melt down (on a HH) and ended up getting really scummy, so I had to peel quite a bit of it off while I was working, but it still ended up pretty nice. Working it so long also made my red turn a bit orange-y, but it's still the best stripe bead I have ever made.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2007-10-23, 4:58pm
Just me

Your bead looks so happy Gelly, great job on the encased stripes. They take me a long time too and I'm sure I'm putting on too much clear. I just keep adding and adding because my beads end up lopsided.
Your piggies always make me happy. My most favorite piggy bead is your hog wash. I had to save a pic of it just so I can look at it when I need a smile.

Old 2010-05-01, 8:24pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I've been wondering how these are made and now I know! Can't wait to try this tomorrow!

Old 2010-05-04, 6:48pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

You took the thought right outta my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenfire View Post
AHHHH HELL! When I die I know I will go tot hell and I will have to make these beads over and over again til I get them right. Damn it. Now Suzanne -- don't go addin' flair til I can get these right! Damn it nothin but wonkies out of the kiln.
Jen

Old 2010-05-04, 7:08pm
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbyanne View Post
Oh I forgot to add the pictures of the feathered encased beads Suzanne mentioned making in her post, to salvage beads that got too hot.
Wow Awesome. How in the world do you do that??
Old 2010-05-05, 1:00pm
Alaska Boro

Try this link for a nice bead stripes tutorial....

http://www.cauldroncreations.com/stripesHT.html
Old 2010-05-05, 4:18pm

Quote:

this is what all my striped beads look like cause they always go wrong and then I droop them trying to save them. Usually everyone likes them this way. LOL Thanks for sharing this tut. I'll give it a try this weekend.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-07-05, 7:00pm
Never give up

Quote:
Wow, I love those, how did you do that???
Old 2010-07-05, 8:07pm
Favorite color is shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenfire View Post
Jen

LMAO

okay...whew....
I'm going to try this tomorrow..I already know what they will look like so thanks for the feathered option. Those are great as well!!!

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE