No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-11-06, 11:53am
over the moon space cadet

Default Questionable glasses???

My friend recently asked me to help teach her lampworking and guide her through what supplies would be needed to get her started.
She went to a local bead store that also carries glass supplies. She asked for a pair of glasses. It seemed that this place was pretty disorganized and brought her out a pair of glasses which she assumed were the correct ones. I looked at them last night and I've never seen these before.
They are an economy frame, but the lenses have a bluish hue to them and the outside is a mirror finish. They sold her these as lampworking eyewear.
Has anyone ever seen these or used these? Since I haven't I couldn't give her any advice on what they were for. She and I both want to make sure that she has the right thing.
Are these another kind of lampworking glasses different from diyidiums?
If anyone has any answers, I would greatly appreciate it!!
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

" We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled.
The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over
and let the beautiful stuff out. - Ray Bradbury
Old 2005-11-06, 12:31pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Sounds to me like "mirrored sunglasses"....

Any brand name on inside temple pieces???

My didmiums have a bluish-redish-purple cast, but not mirrored...

Have you tried them, do they cut sodium flare?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-11-06, 8:53pm

No, I haven't tried them yet. I told her the next time she comes over for a lesson to bring them and I'd see. The lenses don't even have a hint of purple in them - more like a blue or grey-blue. The mirrored thing kinda threw me - I have no idea what that is. I've looked online and can't seem to find them. Like I said, I guess the place was pretty disorganized and it sounded to me like they handed her the first pair of glasses they found laying around.
Guess I'll have to try them out myself and see!

Old 2005-11-07, 6:37am
Satake Woman!

Kristen,

Our shop got the same thing (thought they were ordering diddys and ended up with "gold didys"). I'll be interested to hear how they work for you.

Jo

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-11-07, 6:49am
Safety ALWAYS

OMG - places are still selling this crap? It's called "Didymium II" and it ain't didymium. Here's a link to a write up I did on it several years ago: http://www.auralens.net/e_gwdidymium2.cfm

To sum it up: the lenses are polycarbonate and dyed. They do not contain didymium, nor does the spectral transmittance of the filter even closely resemble didymium. To call them didymium, in my opinion, is false advertising of the worse kind.

Do yourself a favor - take them back to the place where they were purchased and demand TRUE GLASS didymium filters (or even better, ACE/AUR-92 filters).

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-07, 9:01am

Thanks so much, Mike. That information was very useful! I've never seen or heard of these glasses before. My friend said the guy took forever to find out how much they cost. I've advised her to take the glasses back and ask for a real pair of didys or a refund. I know there are some other glass places that carry the right glasses and she wouldn't be out any money.
Thanks again - I never would've had any idea what to tell her - even after I tried them out!

Old 2005-11-07, 9:10am
Satake Woman!

Thanks Mike! I just fired off an email suggesting that our local store send them back. Ick!!!

Old 2005-11-07, 12:10pm

THis was what I found about these glasses at Arrow Springs.
Now what do I make of this??? I'm really confused now. Are they better than didy's or are they what Mike was talking about?

FLAMEWORKING SPECTACLES Arrow Vision light filtering spectacles for eye protection while working in a torch, furnace or kiln. We no longer carry didymium light filtering spectacles because the cost of the superior AV 2000 light filtering spectacles has come down in price to be competitive. Frame styles include: The industry's standard economy S-7 frame. Large safety economy frames that can fit over most personal eye glasses. Two sizes of quality metal frames with spring hinges and adjustable nose pads. Fifteen sizes of clip-on frames to fit almost anyone's personal eye glasses. All Arrow Vision light filtering spectacles include a protective carrying case and come with a two year guarantee on the lenses and frames.

Old 2005-11-07, 12:15pm
Safety ALWAYS

If the glasses you are talking about above are coated with a mirror coating, then they ARE NOT the AV-2000 lenses from Arrow Springs. The AV-2000 filter from Arrow is the same as my AUR-92 and other suppliers ACE filters. It is an advanced didymium lens, actually a 2nd generation filter.

The ones you were talking about previously are Didymium II made by Oberon Manufacturing, NOT AV-2000 by Arrow Springs.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-14, 11:36am

Mike-
Thanks so much for all of your information. She tried out the glasses one night and complained that she couldn't see a darn thing while she was torching. She took them back and the store replaced them with real dyidiums so now everything is just fine and she has the proper eyewear.!

Old 2005-11-14, 7:20pm

Default Glasses

Hello,
I am very new and I am worried about what glasses I should use, I did read your post and I have looked at some glasses but they are so many out there can someone make it simple for me.. Sorry to be a pain.. Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Thank You,
Stephanie
Old 2005-11-14, 7:28pm

Mike,
I hope it's okay to direct reply's and stuff to certain people, But I have a question to ask you if I go to the bead store and ask for ACE/AUR-92 Filters they will know what I am talking about? Or is there something else I should be asking?

Thanks so much,
Stephanie
Old 2005-11-15, 8:06am
Satake Woman!

Most bead stores (read the ones I have been to) have no clue about the difference in the safety glasses. I have AUR92s which I got from Mike, and I love them. They really are nicer than didys when working several hours at a stretch. I have yet to find a bead shop that sells anything but plain diddys. There should be a label on the glasses that says if they are didys or AUR92s. Stephanie, I hope you find what you need.

Old 2005-11-15, 9:58am
Safety ALWAYS

There are very few locally operated stores that know about the safety aspects of our "hobby" or craft.

The very best thing you can do is use the power of the internet and research. Read. Understand. Ask questions. Compare products.

I will always answer any question - I can't guarantee that my answer will be without bias...

Old 2005-11-15, 12:57pm

ThankYou Mike and Jo for your help, Mike I am checking your wedsite out now, it's alot of reading.. But atleast I can get what I need.

Thank You so much,
Stephanie Newman
Old 2011-02-28, 11:55am

Default Was going to start my first thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
If the glasses you are talking about above are coated with a mirror coating, then they ARE NOT the AV-2000 lenses from Arrow Springs. The AV-2000 filter from Arrow is the same as my AUR-92 and other suppliers ACE filters. It is an advanced didymium lens, actually a 2nd generation filter.

The ones you were talking about previously are Didymium II made by Oberon Manufacturing, NOT AV-2000 by Arrow Springs.
This is so cool. I have two pair of these, will no longer use them. Luckily I've got a pair of shade 3's! Thanks everyone.