No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-28, 3:06pm
Noobie

Default Anyone know how these are made?

Would anyone know how these are made or know if there is a tutorial??? I dont know who the beads were made by, but the bracelet was made by a jewelry designer...she named this silk ribbon, but I had to crop in order to post..I think the beads are so pretty!

Old 2008-01-28, 3:09pm
ManBearPig

It's made with a ribbon cane. Make a base bead, and then wrap the ribbon cane around it 3-4 times, then shape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-01-28, 3:37pm
Noobie

Thank You!
Old 2008-02-06, 3:45pm
Queen Of the Kitty Parade

wow! they r beauties
Old 2008-02-06, 3:52pm
da General

Ribbon canes and they look like they have been encased to magnify the canes too!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-06, 4:17pm
No Problem!

Here's a couple sets I made in 2005..I called them Chino Beads.. (Like latticino..but not).
Not the same look at all but here's how I did these..
I just pulled simple ribbon canes (lots) white sandwiched between two layers of transparent. The canes were I used were about 2-3mm in diameter when pulled.
For the base beads: Some are opaque centers cased in clear, some are white centers encased in transparent color, then clear.
Then just pull a nice tip on the cane and start wrapping starting close to the hole, careful not to get too close to the mandrel or the neighboring turns of the cane and carefully melt in. Mine aren't encased.

The ones pictured above look like the cane is wider and not twisted as tight. They may be encased but might not be, if you make them on a clear base, and encase your ribbon cane instead, you may get that look without encasing the whole bead..

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-02-06, 6:21pm
Is it May yet?

Beau, those are amazing!

For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
Old 2008-02-06, 6:24pm

Default aspen hot glass

The beads look like Bill Grout's beads at aspen hot glass. I have purchased a few dozen in the past few years and they are awesome!! Nice guy too! His wife Rae makes gorgeous beads too!

Here is a link to his website:
http://www.aspenhotglass.com/product...boncaneone.htm

Here is a link to his ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/aspen-hot-gla...Q3amesstQQtZkm

Your beads are amazing too Beau!! I have admired your talent for a long time!!

Donna

Last edited by donnam; 2008-02-07 at 11:40am. Reason: added ebay link
Old 2008-02-06, 6:34pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venessa View Post
Beau, those are amazing!

Ditto! And thanks so much for the details on making them!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-02-06, 7:43pm

Hmmm...Do you think he made a thick rubino oro cane, twisted it around three to four times, and then heated and twisted the lines between the stripes of cane to get them to blend? Just a thought...Now I wanna go and try some! :grins:

Very Kewl Beads!

Alyssa
Old 2008-02-06, 9:34pm
No Problem!

Thanks for the compliments on those, it's been awhile since I made some but they're pretty fun.

I'd say that you're right Donna, looks like his beads for sure.. Also looks like he has them down to a science. I really like the way he does those.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-02-07, 12:08am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Those beads are amazing, both Bill's beads as well as Beau's beads

Old 2008-02-07, 7:59am

Thank you so much Beau! I tried for hours the other day to make one, I was using opaque glass instead of transparent. Needless to say I couldn't get the depth (DUH!)
Old 2008-02-12, 10:06am
Noobie

Wow! I love these!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingBeau View Post
Here's a couple sets I made in 2005..I called them Chino Beads.. (Like latticino..but not).
Not the same look at all but here's how I did these..
I just pulled simple ribbon canes (lots) white sandwiched between two layers of transparent. The canes were I used were about 2-3mm in diameter when pulled.
For the base beads: Some are opaque centers cased in clear, some are white centers encased in transparent color, then clear.
Then just pull a nice tip on the cane and start wrapping starting close to the hole, careful not to get too close to the mandrel or the neighboring turns of the cane and carefully melt in. Mine aren't encased.

The ones pictured above look like the cane is wider and not twisted as tight. They may be encased but might not be, if you make them on a clear base, and encase your ribbon cane instead, you may get that look without encasing the whole bead..

Old 2008-04-04, 2:09pm
Pyromaniac

I would like to learn how to make the ribbon cane myself -- does anyone know of a tutorial out there? Do you just flatten a gather, add color to each side and then encase with clear?

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-04-04, 6:49pm
Noobie

I had tried when I first posted this, but my ribbons were coming out to be twisties..Im a little (not much) more comfortable w/ the flame now, so Im going to try again.

I would think that when pulling a twistie you just twist slowly..making a very loose twistie.
Old 2008-04-04, 8:10pm
No Problem!

For a basic ribbon cane like I used in the above beads:
Make a nice round gather of white, then add a big gather of transparent to each side like your applying huge dots to each face of the dots.
You can add stripes along the white edges and add clear for more depth and a more pronounced ribbon.
I like to use a boro punty for more complex canes and bigger pulls just make sure it's nice and hot so the glass doesn't crack off in the middle of a pull.

Heat into a nice round mass, keeping the heat base/gradient towards the front (not the rod side until it becomes a smooth uniform mass. Then punty on with a slightly flattened end of a stiff color or a boro punty to finish getting it nice and hot and begin the twist without losing control, then let the "skin" form and continue to twist and pull.
Twist fast and pull slow for a tighter ribbon.

(Beau & Shani)