Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Anybody play with the new boro color from Olympic yet?

Jennifer Geldard
2006-02-06, 7:13am
Opinions?
http://www.glasscolor.com/lampworking/precision_color.aspx

suzanne
2006-02-06, 7:15am
Oh I like the silver creek, but from what I understand, it can not be mixed with either northstar, ga, or simax?

LAG
2006-02-06, 7:37am
Looks good. Haven't used it. I am hooked on Momka's glass. She is always coming up with new stuff...and she lets me experiment with her test colors..

I would be curious to know about the compatibility thing with OCR's rods.??

Mr. Smiley
2006-02-06, 7:40am
I think these are precision color rods... :D They are compatible. :D

LAG
2006-02-06, 7:41am
Jennifer.. I am wondering if the statement they make in their description means that it isn't compatible with their "gaffer" colors??

Mr. Smiley
2006-02-06, 8:27am
That is exatcly what they are saying... it is compatible with other boro though. I love the unobtanium... it's soooo friggin sparkly! :D

Lynn Larson
2006-02-06, 8:48am
That's what I've been playing with lately! Silver Creek, Tan Silver Creek, Silver Seaweed and Alaskan Thunder just rock!!! And I use Simax clear.

Cosmo
2006-02-06, 9:12am
I use a lot of their color. In fact, our studio is going to be carrying it. And, they just bought out Draconis, so they are going to start producing the Draconis colors soon....

Here's Precision's web site: http://precisioncolorglass.com/catalog.html

Venbead
2006-02-07, 12:01pm
I have silver creek and unobtanium and I like both colors

firefreak
2006-02-07, 3:41pm
These are the colors I have used

PC 10 unobtianium: gun metal blue with lots of sparkle . Nice for backing my dicro pendants.
PC 68 super unobtianium: same color- even more sparkle
PC 12 silver creek: nice variable color from same rod. (flame environment changes color. like NS DAP)
PC 14 dark Amethyst: thins out in stringers,or wrapping. nice IO
PC 20 plum Kush: the same as NS Ninja
PC 24 Alaskan Thunder: nice blue to cream in same rod
PC 26 Mother of green pearl: like unobtianium only creamy green. Nice
Pc 40 tan Silver creek: NS DAP only easier to strike ( for me)
PC 62 Mellinium Falcon: Old style NS Millennium Moss
PC 88 Satin White: nice and creamy

Just ordered PC 74,76 and 78 this morning. So far I like this company's color. I have used all of NS, and about half of GA, some of Momka's.
Every co. has some good unique colors, but some are the same. I have had to order a color new to me, try it out and see if it is "new" or a lot like something I already have. The good thing is I have found colors that end up the same, but are easier to work or strike, etc.
I order 1/4 lb only when trying new colors (if possible) then order a pound or two if I like it.

BTW, PC blends nice with Northstar

Lynn Larson
2006-02-07, 3:59pm
I am so in love with these colors! Silver Creek, Tan Silver Creek, and Alaskan Thunder are simply amazing! I just ordered a few more, Sweet tooth and Tropical...something :lol: I can't wait to try them...drooling already!

baylie
2006-03-14, 7:45pm
Oh I like the silver creek, but from what I understand, it can not be mixed with either northstar, ga, or simax?
WRONG!!!!! IT is compatible!!!
I beat up these color and have no compatibility issues! The unobtanium is the s#@t!!!! I love this company and all the colors that I have tried of theirs:-D

baylie
2006-03-14, 7:48pm
When I get some time I will post some of the mixtures I have come up with using the unob. & disco SPARKLEMATIC!!!

IF-Designs
2006-03-14, 8:06pm
unobtanium
silver creek
plum kush
alaskan thunder
tan silver creek
silver sea weed
silver pearl
blue thunder are ALL great colors and as others have said compatible with other boro...I use

Momkas
Precision
Glass Alchemy
Northstar
Simax
Draconis (which precision bought out)
all together and its great :) Each line has colors that are just YEE HA! frickin fantastic...

and your right baylie unobtanium and disco sparkle are the shiznit together!

baylie
2006-03-15, 1:36pm
Try stirring 3 parts clear,1 part unob(or super unob), 1 part green AP,1 part cobalt.

Also 1Unob,1 disco,1 cobalt,4 claer.

Make sure to stir,stir,stir until you have an even color.I always weigh out my color before mixing. Also to strech my unob I will take a 22mm rod and encase 3 inchs or so with unob melt in and pull! This lets me get a lot more bang for my buck,it as well makes the sparkles pop more.

Juln
2006-03-15, 2:01pm
The tan silver creek is awesome.

baylie
2006-03-17, 2:44am
Try stirring 3 parts clear,1 part unob(or super unob), 1 part green AP,1 part cobalt.

Also 1Unob,1 disco,1 cobalt,4 claer.

Make sure to stir,stir,stir until you have an even color.I always weigh out my color before mixing. Also to strech my unob I will take a 22mm rod and encase 3 inchs or so with unob melt in and pull! This lets me get a lot more bang for my buck,it as well makes the sparkles pop more.
any one try it yet? I'm lovin it:grin:

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-03-17, 3:55am
I'll give these a try today. Thanks for sharing!

Juln
2006-03-17, 9:54am
I'll try that mixing.. wait, hmm, I don't think I have any unobtanium left.
I like to mix colors with a drill. It really helps in getting it all the way mixed without wearing out my wrists.
Note: This is NOT for people who may be likely to let one end come detached and then whip them in the face.

baylie
2006-03-17, 12:23pm
I'll try that mixing.. wait, hmm, I don't think I have any unobtanium left.
I like to mix colors with a drill. It really helps in getting it all the way mixed without wearing out my wrists.
Note: This is NOT for people who may be likely to let one end come detached and then whip them in the face.
LOL
Try subing mystery adventurine for the unob. dif results but still sick

baylie
2006-03-17, 12:24pm
Oh,yeah Post Pics Of Your Results

Juln
2006-03-17, 3:37pm
I've gotten great effects making my own mystery aventurine style color by mixing GA Green Sparkle with various silver colors... triple passion, NS Yellow, Silver Strike 3/5, etc. Each silver color gives it a different look.

baylie
2006-03-18, 3:14pm
I've gotten great effects making my own mystery aventurine style color by mixing GA Green Sparkle with various silver colors... triple passion, NS Yellow, Silver Strike 3/5, etc. Each silver color gives it a different look.
PICS?

Juln
2006-03-18, 3:55pm
Hmm, I might have some around somewhere. I was doing the green sparkle mix in 2003-2004 or so, I haven't done it lately and I don't have any green sparkle (I'm not usually the type of person who would use on of thse things but that deserves a :( )
Try it if you want to know how it looks!
I found some Unobtanium so maybe I'll try your magic recipe.

baylie
2006-03-21, 5:54pm
I use a drill to pull cane if I have competent help...never tried it for stirring,until today. Holy poop!! that saved soooo much time,air and gas...happyhappyhappy lamper:-D

Wonker
2006-03-22, 6:38am
Oh my god....hot glass and a drill....I'd have to have the paramedics sitting out in the driveway....

DreamMuse
2006-08-14, 1:16pm
Hey, I have to agree with baylie! What happened to the pics?? LOL

My other question, is how do you use a drill to mix color? That sounds like a really handy trick!!

Karen Hardy
2006-08-14, 2:17pm
I've played with several of these colors and my advice is dilute, dilute, dilute!
What I do is grab a rod of 10mm clear, then I cover that about 2" with the colored rod and pull it out to a thinner rod with a clear center. I use this to make the beads with.

This color is so intense that it is almost wasting it if you don't stretch it out - but just slap it on a mandrel.