Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Best Release for Boro

IF-Designs
2006-03-15, 3:44pm
Ok so what do you like to use? Do you mix your own or do you buy?

I love foster fire heavy duty but sometimes it flakes a lil for me and that gets frusterating...a combo I found that works really great for me is
1/2 fusion 1/2 foster fire.....

Works WONDERFULLY so far :)
so what about you?
Karin

Cosmo
2006-03-15, 6:27pm
I use regular Foster Fire. I think it works better than the heavy duty.

Juln
2006-03-16, 2:41am
Fusion worked like (to pull out my favorite phrase of the hour) a hell dog on a stick for me.
The Heavy Duty Foster Fire has been great. I also have used that in beginning soft glass mandrel classes, and every one loves it : no beads stuck the the mandrels at all.
I haven't tried normal FF.
I'll try mixing the two.
Then, theres always pancake batter.

IF-Designs
2006-03-16, 7:14am
hehe pancake batter! well itworked for yeah didnt it ;) lol

Chad you might try thinning down your heavy duty....:) that helps ALOT also even if the release cracks it still holds the bead and stuff my stuff flakes here and there but It hasnt affected my beads coming off or anything....just messy lol. But the flaking really wasa cut down when i mixed the FF with fusion.

e. mort
2006-03-16, 7:20am
I am still using my 10 year old container of Sludge Plus from Arrowsprings. The release seems to hold out ok with the boro. Now, if I could just get my 1/16th mandrells to hold out as well. I have burned through 3 of them so far. :oops:

Eric

IF-Designs
2006-03-16, 7:22am
yeah i cant even used the 1/16ths any more .....I just use 3/32 too frusterating to try and work on something only to loose it bec ause the mandrel burns through

Cosmo
2006-03-16, 8:33am
I never use 1/16 at all. They burn through way too easily.

Tanya
2006-03-16, 8:40am
I've melted a couple of 3/32" mandrels, one at a class, one here at home (yes, my trusty concentrators can even melt mandrels!) Boro is tough on the mandres. I just bought 2 lbs of 3/32" mandrels from Sundance, so I'm all stocked up.

I'm wondering how mixing 2 bead releases that both flake for me (Fusion and Foster Fire) can result in a bead release that doesn't flake. I'm going to give it a try, though, on the basis of your recommendations. Yesterday, I had a lot of problems with the Foster Fire flaking, but even though it was mostly gone on either side of my beads, it still held and later the bead came off with no problems. I'm just worried about flying bits of bead release sticking to the glass. This hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure it will.

I'm not sure there's a bead release out there that can take the extreme heating and cooling that occurs when I make several boro beads on one mandrel. Perhaps I'll limit myself to 2. Prolly better for the mandrels as well!

IF-Designs
2006-03-16, 9:45am
Make sure you release are mixed VERY well and thin...the thicker they are the more likely they are to pop :)

PaulaD
2006-03-16, 11:51am
I've had great luck mixing Fosterfire and Fusion and also Fosterfire and Sludge! Just be sure they are thin enough! Paula

Tanya
2006-03-16, 7:06pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I think maybe it is a bit too thick. I'll thin it out and give it a try.

Mr. Smiley
2006-03-18, 3:47am
I used sludge plus for a long long time. Then I just got this Bucket o mudd stuff. It flakes on me more and is thinner. It comes off like a champ and cleans really easily... I just don't like how it flakes off the manrel. I have had it get on my bead... just let it cool a bit and pop it off. That works fine if it isn't melted into the glass, so pay attention. :lol: I think I may mix some of my trusty sludge with the new stuff and see what I get. Heck, maybe I'll just go back to Sludge Plus... :D

Juln
2006-03-18, 4:38am
Sludge Plus probably has the coolest name.

AVCKimberly
2006-03-18, 8:02pm
I just started using Alice's. It rarely splinters and comes off quickly. To beat it all, it's gotta be the cheapest release out there. There is only one drawback, you have to mix it yourself. Tip: Buy a mixer and to mix and store in.