Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Opaque GA Spring Luster

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-05-19, 2:47am
I am looking for the opaque version of GA Spring Luster, not the transparent.

Does anybody have any they'd like to sell me?

e. mort
2006-05-19, 6:06am
Hey Carrie,

I just got this Spring Luster from ABR Imagery. Is this what you are looking for?

Eric

Cosmo
2006-05-19, 6:10am
I've tried both, and I can't tell a difference between them. What makes the opaque one special?

Mr. Smiley
2006-05-19, 7:53am
It's got more "ingredients" that cause the striations. It's just kind of varied and makes for more motion in the glass. ;) I like them both. I hope you find some Carrie. :love:

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-05-19, 11:25am
Eric, OMG, you just definitely ROCK! :biggrin:
I will go to their website now.
Thank you!

Chad, I am so new to all this, but I see a difference in the way I work it, probably 'cause I don't know what the hell I'm doing! :roll:

Juln
2006-05-19, 5:04pm
I haven't heard of that - are they different batches, or is there officially two versions?

WhiskerWood
2006-05-19, 5:08pm
So what does this glass look like in beads??? or marbles???

Pictures anyone???

e. mort
2006-05-19, 5:14pm
I will post some pics in the morning when I open my kiln.

WhiskerWood
2006-05-19, 6:24pm
Cool! Thanks Eric!

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-05-20, 2:39am
Juln, there aren't two versions, and most people will tell you they work the same, ie. experienced glass blowers. I don't know, for me, they are different. :roll:

You know how GA Caramel Luster and Purple Luster can have all different colored rods, well they work the same for me no matter what. It doesn't matter whether they are dark brown or cream colored. Those two colors have the most varied colored rods that I have seen. I am lucky that I get to pick my own rods here in Asheville at Mountain Glass Arts. I had to get every different colored rod, just to try it and see if there was any difference. :biggrin:

Nicole, I will post a couple beads here, of the opaquish and transparent. I didn't work as much w/ the transparent because I didn't like it as much. :-?

I am looking forward to seeing what Eric's results are.

e. mort
2006-05-20, 6:54am
Ok, the heart on the left has a heavy clear cap on it and was worked from the back so no reduction. The heart on the right was made with spring luster and then rolled in clear frit so you can see the difference between the two. Hope this helps.

Eric

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-05-20, 11:12am
Eric, are both of those w/ the 'opaque'? or is one the 'transparent'?
Thanks for taking the time to post these, I get different results w/ my beads.

I made a few 'testers' this morning using both rods, and will post mine later tonight or early tomorrow.

e. mort
2006-05-20, 11:26am
I made them both with the opaque rods. I have noticed that when making hearts I get different colors than when making beads which I think is because the hearts have a lot longer working time. There must me more striking going on during the process. I am looking forward to seeing your beads.

Juln
2006-05-20, 12:01pm
Oh, okay. I thought maybe there was an odd lot or experimental lot out there.

I pick out certain rods of silver colors too. There definitely is a difference between batches or rods of triple passion, for instance.
I forgot about Spring Luster. That as one of the early GA colors, but it's a good one.

WhiskerWood
2006-05-20, 12:13pm
Pretty hearts Eric! I like the one on the left best.
I am going to add that color to my boro glass want list :)

Mr. Smiley
2006-05-21, 6:18am
Spring Luster is one of my all time favorite colors... work hot and oxydized with a longer 1075-1085 kiln strike for purples. ;)

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-05-22, 2:24am
Ok, here are my comparison pictures.
The 'opaque' are on the left and the 'transparent' on the right. Side by side.
2 discs.
2 sets were rolled in the 2 different frits and encased.
2 beads were simply encased.
2 beads were made as discs, alternating dots, melted in.

I made these on the same mandrel, not trying to 'get' anything out of them, same working conditions. All were flame struck and annealed.
The 'transparent' doesn't have as much going on as the 'opaque' does.

Over the Moon
2006-05-22, 6:15am
Nice discs, CB...;)

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-05-22, 3:34pm
Awww Val, you are too kind. My discs need serious work.
CB

FlameDancer
2006-05-23, 12:23pm
Gorgeous beads Carrie! Might have to get me some of that there Spring Luster. hehehe...CB;)