Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : How the heck did I do this?

e. mort
2006-09-15, 9:44pm
I just made these small hearts and I really love them. The colors in the pics are 100% correct. When working with encased DAP large frit, I usually get darker results (see my post in the current boro gallery), but this time I got these wonderful subtle rainbow color shifts. Did I trap some haze this time, or is it something else? Kiln temps are all the same. I would really love to be able to do this again... Any help is greatly appreciated.

suzanne
2006-09-15, 10:33pm
It sure looks like trapped haze, or did you use a slightly more reducing flame? If and when you figure out:D do tell;) they are lovely

Mr. Smiley
2006-09-16, 4:17am
It's haze... you can work in a slightly reduced flame, build a little more haze than normal without even knowing it... and POW. This comes out. I've gotten results like this with so many colors. Enjoy it, because you may or may not be able to reproduce it again. If you're not holding your mouth right, you'll go one way or the other with the haze and it will be something else entirely. Dontcha just love boro. :lol:

jmc-lampwork
2006-09-16, 6:31am
Gorgeous colors! Wow! I've gotten some similar colors like that using extra light yellow...did you use any of that???

e. mort
2006-09-16, 8:00am
It's haze... you can work in a slightly reduced flame, build a little more haze than normal without even knowing it... and POW. This comes out. I've gotten results like this with so many colors. Enjoy it, because you may or may not be able to reproduce it again. If you're not holding your mouth right, you'll go one way or the other with the haze and it will be something else entirely. Dontcha just love boro. :lol:

Argh! :) And, here I have been trying to burn off ALL of my haze. I guess I will just have to make sure I never tell anybody "sure, I can make you one of those." :lol:

e. mort
2006-09-16, 8:03am
Gorgeous colors! Wow! I've gotten some similar colors like that using extra light yellow...did you use any of that???

Nope, no yellow, but the one of the right does have a little dot of NS white in it. Other than that, it is just DAP frit and clear.

Mr. Smiley
2006-09-16, 8:10am
Eric, you can trap haze and get a whole new level of colors, depends on how much haze is trapped. Too much will be poopy, but a light haze is awesome. Torch settings are everything. To keep it purple, you need to burn off the haze. If you trap haze, it can be blue, green, yellow... it all depends on the batch and how much you trap. ;)