No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-01-06, 3:52am
what's a senior moment ?

Default Baffles on your vent system

Do you have baffles on your vent system ? If you do, could you post a picture here so I may see them please ? Also, do they do the job they are intended to do ? Hubby and I are working on a new vent system and wonder if these should be included.
Thanks much !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-01-06, 5:25am

Hi Debbie,
I have baffles on mine. They really work well for me.
Will post a picture this evening when I can borrow a camera.
Marieann
Old 2009-01-06, 6:46am
Did someone say SALE?

Yes, I think baffles are really important. Here is my setup:

Old 2009-01-06, 7:26am

I have a sheet metal baffle across the back of the hood. There is a raised lip on the back of the table that is higher than the baffle and behind it so it blocks air flow and keeps stuff from falling off the back. There are Plexiglas baffles on the ends to let in more light. I also have work lights inside the hood.

Robert
Attached Images

Old 2009-01-06, 10:50am
what's a senior moment ?

Thanks very much everyone for the info & pictures however I can't see the baffles. I apologize I wasn't more clear with my questions. Could you actually show them or point them out on your systems ? And as far as their function, do the baffles themselves open and close or can you adjust them at all ? Thanks again for your input. I do appreciate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dla; 2009-01-06 at 10:53am.
Old 2009-01-06, 11:12am
Dichro Addict

I think everyone assumed you meant the baffles or sides that go from your hood down to the table, thus enclosing your work area. After that last post, I'm thinking you might mean baffles or covers for your fresh air intake when ducted up through the table or exhaust that you can open and close. I know there is a thread or two with pictures of that. I'll take a look. Let me know if you mean something else.

This thread has some really good pictures of ducted fresh air if that is what you are looking for.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ght=air+intake

Last edited by lenora; 2009-01-06 at 11:16am.
Old 2009-01-06, 11:27am

The baffle on my hood can be seen running across the back and, if you look closely, there are clear panels that drop from the hood ends down almost to the table top. The entire front is open.

I made a cover for my exhaust stack that attaches to the inside of the hood with rare earth magnets. The duct is 8", so I cut a 10 X10" square of Plexiglas, put a knob handle in the middle and magnets out near the edges on two sides. This effectively closes off the exhaust vent when I'm not working. I built a closing gate in above the blower, but it's proven to be a PITA to open and close. I leave that open now and just block the exhaust at the hood. The input for makeup air has a 10" blast gate that closes off as well when I'm not working.

Robert
Old 2009-01-06, 12:11pm
Did someone say SALE?

Robert, what's a blast gate... and do you have a pic of that? Thanks so much!

dla, I thought you meant side walls when you said baffles. Sorry 'bout that! I am interested in putting some makeup air under my torch too, but was wondering how people set it up so as not to mess up the torch flame.
Old 2009-01-06, 1:26pm

This is a picture I got off the net of a 6" plastic blast gate. I built a bigger one out of wood for the 10" intake duct. It fits sideways in the bottom of a double-hung window. It's great for closing the system off when I'm not working and the window screen keeps the bugs out when I am.

Robert

Old 2009-01-06, 1:26pm
what's a senior moment ?

Please excuse the horrible drawing ! lol !

I'll do my best to explain what I am trying to understand. With the bad air venting out from the top, some sort of vent coming up from underneath to bring in fresh or replacement air, then the baffles, as I understand it, are on the side walls &/or back walls, whether they (side or back walls) be plexiglass, metal, wood, etc would be another source or aid in venting in good or replacement air. Is this how I'm understanding it or am I way off ? lol !

Hubby and I've been reading ALOT of the info here and elsewhere, looking at diagrams and others systems. The system I had before, wasn't working well FOR ME but we didn't add side walls, didn't add baffles and had no replacement air coming up from UNDER the table either. I had decided to quit making beads so sold off everything including the vent system so we are starting from square one again ! lol ! Seems I simply cannot NOT melt glass ! lol ! Anyway, I am terrible when it comes to trying to explain what I mean so I hope this makes sense to someone ! lol !

My husband sees the baffles as having moving parts. Opening and closing as needed and being adjustable BUT also sees them as being openings in the sides &/or on the table/work bench with no little "hood" over them as I have drawn above. See, confusing. lol ! I'll just do much more reading and research. Plus, we will be adding a "plexiglass window" that can be raised up and down as needed in front of where I sit at the table so that any freeloading gases won't hit me in the face. lol !

Old 2009-01-06, 1:34pm
Did someone say SALE?

Debbie, I think most people put part of their makeup air coming in from the tabletop, somewhere near the opposite edge of the table as where you sit. (See the earlier post with a link to the thread with a picture of that) That way the currents of the air, so to speak, will pull the torch fumes up and out with it. I think there is some information on www.artglassanswers.com, but the web site is not responding right now, so I can't double check.

Thanks for the pic Robert!
Old 2009-01-06, 1:42pm

I wouldn't put openings in the side baffles. These panels are in place to direct the air flow into the hood from behind you. Air should flow around you and over your shoulders, collecting torch fume on the way to the exhaust stack. The baffles (side panels) keep the exhaust system from bringing in air from the sides/back and decreasing the flow from behind you. Some of us bring in air from underneath the table (through the table top) to have enough make up air to allow for good exhaust while not pulling all of the conditioned air out of the work space. I use an in-line blower to supply make up air through the table top and pull only a little air from behind me from my studio. The exhaust fan pulls more air than the blower supplies, thus allowing some flow into the hood from behind me. I wouldn't use any kind of device like louvers)that is kept open by air pressure in the exhaust stack - this robs you of exhaust efficiency.

Robert
Old 2009-01-06, 2:03pm
what's a senior moment ?

Ok, I'll wait til hubby gets home and show him this thread. I understand about makeup air having to come in from behind and/or around me, no problem there I am just having a problem understanding baffles period but I'll get there. lol ! And as for the makeup air coming from underneath & up through the table, that is an option we are also considering. We are taking our time with this.
Thanks for the help so far. I really do appreciate it !

Old 2009-01-06, 7:18pm
Gentleman of Leisure

A portion of makeup air should always come from behind you. This insures fresh air in your breathing zone. The remainder of make up air can come up through bench in front of torch....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...opic.php?t=150

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2009-01-06 at 7:20pm.