Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-07, 12:02am
RaymondMillbrae

Default Build Your Own Kiln Stand For Cheap

Hey folks,

I just wanted to drop yall a quick tip that may save you a few dollars, as well as giving you the opportunity to build your own kiln stand for really cheap...and possibly customizing it to your own taste.

I recently purchased a Jen-Ken kiln (AF3P 11/4.5 w/2" Flip Door), which in my opinion is the best kiln for the money. It came with three bricks to lay the kiln on top of, but it still left the table pretty hot. (A little too hot for my comfort). So the next logical step was to elevate the kiln.

As I looked for kiln stands on the internet, I was looking for a stand that fit the kiln and elevated it higher off the table. My search only made matters worst. The stands for sale were NOT the dimensions I needed (either too big or too small), and more importantly, the were waaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for what I was actually getting. (I found a decent one for $24.00 - but that was before the shipping costs, and it was still too large for my kiln).

So after looking at a few pictures, I saw that a few of them were made from an "L-shaped" metal that could be purchased at Home Depot, or Lowe's, or any decent hardware store. So I started to design and measure the pieces that I would need to make the stand that I wanted. (To "MY" exact dimensions).

Once this was written on paper, a quick trip to one of the latter stores found me a 6" foot bar of the exact metal I was looking for (1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 6' foot), at the measly price of $14.00.

So I purchased it, took it home, measured and cut-off four 6" inch legs (the height I wanted it), and cut the remaining piece into four equal-sized pieces. (I have a metal-cutting saw, but you can do it with a little more sweat using a simple hack saw and miter).

In the end, this 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 6' foot piece of bar made a perfect sized stand for my kiln. It stands 6 3/8" inches high, and is exactly 12" x 12" square. And to be double safe, I used the three bricks and the shelf that came with the kiln as an extra preventative barrier.

I have used it a few times now. And every time I have had the kiln on HOLD for a few hours at the annealing temperature while I was at the torch making beads (963 degrees), without the table even getting warm. In the near future it will be painted with a color that my "Baybee-licious" likes that matches our "decor".

Below are a few pictures for you to see. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I hope they will help to decypher my psycho-babble.

Don't settle for something you don't feel comfortable with. If you are looking for a better kiln stand (for safety, for durability, or just for plain 'ole looks)...you can do this. And the price is right.

And in closing, you will also need eight 1/4"-20 x 12 machine screws with matching nuts. And when measuring the pieces for the sides, the ONLY important thing you need to be concerned about are the holes. Make sure the holes are even on all the sides. (The legs determine the height. So when cutting the legs, they must be EXACTLY 6" inches in height). And one more thing...don't place any screws on the TOP of the stand. The shape of the bars and the weight of the kiln will hold everything in place just fine. The screws will just bite into the brick on the underside of the kiln and chip it. (Don't ask me how I know).

Well...I hope this helps someone out.

Toodle-Loo, and Happy New Year!

In Christ: Raymond

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 2008-01-07 at 2:36am.
Old 2008-01-07, 9:32am
Moving On

And if you take the above, wonderful advice, you can avoid the result we'd all like to avoid!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-07, 1:08pm

Ouch Gail. Thanks Raymond!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-01-07, 9:22pm
Happiness is....

My kiln sits on a gang box we have in the garage. I couldn't put it on something that wasn't fire proof, I'd worry way to much about it catching on fire.

Wow Gail!

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2008-01-07, 9:25pm
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisdaka View Post
My kiln sits on a gang box we have in the garage. I couldn't put it on something that wasn't fire proof, I'd worry way to much about it catching on fire.

Wow Gail!
Let's just say it was a kiln I hadn't used for several years, in a room I wouldn't normally use it in, and I wasn't thinking clearly AT ALL. Clearly NOT the mind set for use of any of our equipment, and a lesson well learned!!!